Junior Inter Squad Game - Vancouver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pangolin

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Vinland said:
Carey Price- Like I had predicted he kinda sucked. I really dislike his standup butterfly hybrid style. He is pretty big and generally gets in the way of the puck but sometimes I think he relies on positioning and doesnt have very much raw skills, he isnt all that quick with reflexes but is just kinda a big body and has good positioning for a standup kid. Overall I still think he is the 2nd-3rd best goalie of the 05 draft. Got lit up in game 2, had 4 goals against but they were all pretty early, shut the door late to keep his team in it but all together some of the goals were pretty weak.

Had a pregame opinion that he would suck and then surprise in his eyes he did suck. Shocker. Doesn't like goaltenders who play that style so he hates Price ... shocker.
Doesn't think he is quick or has natural ability which is just flat out wrong.
3rd best goalie in the draft what a joke. I guess NHL teams were wrong and a guy who states "I'm not much of a scout" is right.
Complains that he is just really good positionally. Hell I'll take a goalie if he is sound positionally over one who is not.
Just a joke of a report on a guy he hated before seeing him at camp.

Actually...According to McKenzie's predraft. Some teams had Rask and Pavelec as high as #1..So he wouldn't be the first one to think that Price is #3 even amongst NHL scouts. And he wouldn't be the first one to say that Price doesn't have the best natural skill in his draft year neither.
What he said is not out of the blue at all if you read most of the pre-draft reports...

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vinland said:
Carey Price- Like I had predicted he kinda sucked. I really dislike his standup butterfly hybrid style. He is pretty big and generally gets in the way of the puck but sometimes I think he relies on positioning and doesnt have very much raw skills, he isnt all that quick with reflexes but is just kinda a big body and has good positioning for a standup kid. Overall I still think he is the 2nd-3rd best goalie of the 05 draft. Got lit up in game 2, had 4 goals against but they were all pretty early, shut the door late to keep his team in it but all together some of the goals were pretty weak.

Had a pregame opinion that he would suck and then surprise in his eyes he did suck. Shocker. Doesn't like goaltenders who play that style so he hates Price ... shocker.
3rd best goalie in the draft what a joke. I guess NHL teams were wrong and a guy who states "I'm not much of a scout" is right.
Complains that he is just really good positionally. Hell I'll take a goalie if he is sound positionally over one who is not.

Its his opinion, how can his opinion be wrong? Just because you dont agree with it?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So --Latendresse had 2 goals in the final intersquad game (and named one of the 2 players of the game) --and he finished the 3 game series with a total of 3 goals and 2 assists= 5 points in 3GP...looks to me like everyone blew it and MTL lucked out with a steal...to many posters,Latendresse was a top 15 pick for the draft at least,and we could not understand how Central Scounting ranked him that low--Redline liked him a lot more and that now looks like the better assessmemt...Bob Gainey has smiles all over his face on this grand theft as so many NHL teams passed up on G.L.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
hawksfan50 said:
So --Latendresse had 2 goals in the final intersquad game (and named one of the 2 players of the game) --and he finished the 3 game series with a total of 3 goals and 2 assists= 5 points in 3GP...looks to me like everyone blew it and MTL lucked out with a steal...to many posters,Latendresse was a top 15 pick for the draft at least,and we could not understand how Central Scounting ranked him that low--Redline liked him a lot more and that now looks like the better assessmemt...Bob Gainey has smiles all over his face on this grand theft as so many NHL teams passed up on G.L.

As of August 16th 2005 the Pick looks good. We wont know if it was a steal until August 16th 2010.

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
LaLaLaprise said:
Its his opinion, how can his opinion be wrong? Just because you dont agree with it?

Hey someone asked why I thought he had an axe to grind and I showed why I feel he does. He also says Latendrase has no skill. Interesting that he is so down on two habs prospects.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vinland said:
Hey someone asked why I thought he had an axe to grind and I showed why I feel he does. He also says Latendrase has no skill. Interesting that he is so down on two habs prospects.

Its a coincidence. I didnt agree with his Latendresse write up either but its just an opinion.

It seems like a lot of people get emotional when Price is being talked about. Price seems to have a loyal following that defend him on these boards. When a player like Price is picked 5th overall there will be some people who will bash him. If Price was picked 20th overall there would be a lot less haters, that comes with the territory of being a top 5 pick, ask Ladd.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
It sounds like Dubnyk and Cogliano had a pretty weak third game after doing fairly well in the first two (I believe Dubnyk stopped 35 shots in the first game). Oh well, it looks like they're both in the running for roster spots...

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Cerebral said:
It sounds like Dubnyk and Cogliano had a pretty weak third game after doing fairly well in the first two (I believe Dubnyk stopped 35 shots in the first game). Oh well, it looks like they're both in the running for roster spots...
Cogliano is an amazing skater, but seemed tired or something out there. He was pushed around a few times.

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
LaLaLaprise said:
Its a coincidence. I didnt agree with his Latendresse write up either but its just an opinion.

It seems like a lot of people get emotional when Price is being talked about. Price seems to have a loyal following that defend him on these boards. When a player like Price is picked 5th overall there will be some people who will bash him. If Price was picked 20th overall there would be a lot less haters, that comes with the territory of being a top 5 pick, ask Ladd.

So those who notice irational reports on people should point them out and not get jumped on like has happened in this thread.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vinland said:
So those who notice irational reports on people should point them out and not get jumped on like has happened in this thread.

I didnt reply to you because you disagreed with him, but it just seemed like you were taking him to task because of his opinion of a certain player, which happened to differ from yours.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Vinland said:

HAHAHA, I dont hate price but I think he is overrated like mad. I have yet to see him perform well. I have seen him 4-5 times now, twice on tv and twice live and once in the top prospects game. He sucked every single time, that is where my opinion of him had spawned from. Hes overrated. I came him hoping hed prove me wrong but he did nothing but prove me right. So until I see him show something worth seeing I will think he was taken wayyyy too high in the draft.

Not to mention of course I am going to say "Im not much of a scout" to cover my back from idiot comments like this.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Stiffler's Mom said:
Brule is doing very well considering this is an EVALUATION camp, not a regular game. His hockey season doesn't start until late September or early October so he is not ready to be all out. It's August. I wouldn't put a lot of weight in what you think you see in his "ordinary skating" in this group. Brule is a superior skater. I think he will be using that speed to make the Columbus Bluejackets. We will know in 2 months.

Guess what? It's August in everyone's world - not just Brule's. And it's an EVALUATION camp to everyone - not just Brule.

If you are going to make excuses for the guy, make it something that is unique to his situation.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Le Golie said:
Guess what? It's August in everyone's world - not just Brule's. And it's an EVALUATION camp to everyone - not just Brule.

If you are going to make excuses for the guy, make it something that is unique to his situation.

Brule knows he will be on this team no matter what (unless he's in Ohio). And he's still recovering from injuries I do believe.

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
Eb0la11 said:
HAHAHA, I dont hate price but I think he is overrated like mad. I have yet to see him perform well. I have seen him 4-5 times now, twice on tv and twice live and once in the top prospects game. He sucked every single time, that is where my opinion of him had spawned from. Hes overrated. I came him hoping hed prove me wrong but he did nothing but prove me right. So until I see him show something worth seeing I will think he was taken wayyyy too high in the draft.

Not to mention of course I am going to say "Im not much of a scout" to cover my back from idiot comments like this.

Well Central had him as top tender, ISS had him top 10 Red Line had him top 10 but your two TV views and two camp views outweigh all that. Oh and he was the best tender at the prospects game so not sure how that is equal to him sucking.
You hated him going into camp you said as much so it was all self forfilling. I am not going to waste anymore time argueing with the likes of you.

Physical HABuse

Nov 3, 2002
Mississauga
Visit site
First of all.....thank you for these updates on the evaluation camp. I have to say though.....reading each of these reports on certain players, by orcatown and Eb0la11, makes me wonder whether you were at the same evaluation camp. There's quite a lot of variabilty......e.g., Price and Latendresse comments....but I suppose this is the same way players are ranked differently on scouting reports for teams leading into the draft. It's always an interesting process. From all the things I have read though, I am quite comfortable with Price, Latendresse, and CHipchura as Habs....I've got no worries.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
monster_bertuzzi said:
Brule knows he will be on this team no matter what (unless he's in Ohio). And he's still recovering from injuries I do believe.

Ah see, that's much better.

Stiffler's Mom could learn something from this, it's the work of a true professional. Monster_bertuzzi has extensive experience making excuses for Brule.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
on Price: I didn't think he had a great game in Whistler either, but I watched him work with Clarke after practice Saturday, in the final intrasquad game, at the U18s, and I've seen him a bunch of times previously in the WHL, and I think he's far from overrated. He certainly is positionally sound, but his athleticism and quick legs are his most valuable tools. Ellis is quicker cross crease than him, but Price is much more under control. He never overcompensates or leaves himself out of position by sliding wildly (like Ellis seems to like to do), and always comes up square to the puck and looking large in the net. He very obviously has the most potential of any goalie at camp, and I think will probably start over Dubnyk. He's similar to Dubnyk in that he is strong positionally and large in the net, but more athletic. Price also has an excellent ability to deaden the puck off his pads leaving no juicy rebounds or deflect pucks into the corner. Unfortunately, his great stickhandling and skating didn't really show at camp this week, but I know it's there. From watching him previously, he displays excellent poise and calmness in the net. His relaxed, under control demeanor really indicate that he has the perfect mental makeup to be a great NHL goalie.

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
Greg7 said:
on Price: I didn't think he had a great game in Whistler either, but I watched him work with Clarke after practice Saturday, in the final intrasquad game, at the U18s, and I've seen him a bunch of times previously in the WHL, and I think he's far from overrated. He certainly is positionally sound, but his athleticism and quick legs are his most valuable tools. Ellis is quicker cross crease than him, but Price is much more under control. He never overcompensates or leaves himself out of position by sliding wildly (like Ellis seems to like to do), and always comes up square to the puck and looking large in the net. He very obviously has the most potential of any goalie at camp, and I think will probably start over Dubnyk. He's similar to Dubnyk in that he is strong positionally and large in the net, but more athletic. Price also has an excellent ability to deaden the puck off his pads leaving no juicy rebounds or deflect pucks into the corner. Unfortunately, his great stickhandling and skating didn't really show at camp this week, but I know it's there. From watching him previously, he displays excellent poise and calmness in the net. His relaxed, under control demeanor really indicate that he has the perfect mental makeup to be a great NHL goalie.

Great post

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Belliveau - tried my best to be honest and unbaised. Admit it is just one person's assessment. I thought I was pretty compilmentary toward Montreal prospects so don't really understand why you are so upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad