Signing(s): Jung Hoo Lee signs with the Giants (6 years, $113 million)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
That is a lot for a guy who has never played against ML competition.

I get it through but damn that is a lot of $ to commit (And term)

People talk up the successes but never bring up guys like Hideki Irabu who came to ML and disappointed or outright bombed.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler
Sep 19, 2008
I watched him play every morning for Kiwoom. He is good.

Around 3/4 part of year he got hurt so interesting to see how he does in SF.

People talk up the successes but never bring up guys like Hideki Irabu who came to ML and disappointed or outright bombed.
Again I watched him every morning on Korean TV and he is good

Someone like Dan Kurtz would obviously know better than me or Daniel Kim but I think he is the real deal

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

Major league baseball teams have essentially infinite money. The Giants have even more.

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Well as White Sox fan, I have never been able to experience this big $ spree spending.

Its a foreign concept to me
I've been reading about the Black Sox scandal a lot recently, and no joke, what you need is the ghost of Charlie Comiskey to buy the team. The stories of his miserliness are a myth - he apparently pulled out all the stops to acquire Joe Jackson at any price, among other things.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I've been reading about the Black Sox scandal a lot recently, and no joke, what you need is the ghost of Charlie Comiskey to buy the team. The stories of his miserliness are a myth - he apparently pulled out all the stops to acquire Joe Jackson at any price, among other things.

Your ignoring the mistreatment of players and cheapness is exactly why it happened?

Or his years of penny pinching on employees and mistreatment.

Last edited:

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
You ignoring the mistreatment of players and cheapness is exactly why it happened?

Or his years of penny pinching on employees and mistreatment.
As it turns out, all of those are myths. Comiskey was paying players the going rate or higher (we know this because we have the players' contracts and contemporary team payroll figures), and as far as I am aware, there is no contemporary documentary evidence for stories like the laundry bill; the Cicotte 30 win bonus story is total bollocks, too (we know this from the box scores).

The conspiracy happened because the players got greedy, didn't think they'd get caught, and didn't think they'd lose out of they were caught, either. Then, after they actually suffered some consequences for their actions, they spent the rest of their lives lying about it (we know this because we have the grand jury testimony - Jackson in particular blatantly perjured himself in his 1923 lawsuit against the White Sox - and trial transcripts from both the 1921 fraud trial and the 1923 Jackson lawduit, as well as dozens of contemporary and post-scandal interviews).

• Wow
Reactions: Prominence Problem

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad