Tribute June 10th, 2000 - Devils win the Cup

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

20 years flies by. I can't help but pass the opportunity to reminisce about the team. I think I've told the story about how I was turning my academic life around at the same time so that particular Cup was always a nice associated memory.

For fun, I did a bit of a deep dive reading old articles from the time. There was hardly a dull moment for the team that season.

June 1999: Unable to protect everybody at the Expansion Draft, Lou deals prospect defender Sergei Vyshedkevich to Atlanta who promise not to take Sergei Brylin, Sergei Nemchinov, Vadim Sharifijanov, or Brad Bombardir.

Edit: I forgot an interesting blip about whether or not the Devils could use assistant coach Slava Fetisov to expose as a player for the Expansion Draft. The rules required you to expose a player who played 40 NHL games in 1998-99 or 70 games between 1997-99. Fetisov had played 79 combined regular season and playoff games for Detroit in 1997-98, so apparently he qualified.

July 1999: Team doesn't re-sign Dave Andreychuk and Bobby Carpenter; Carpenter would retire and join Albany's coaching staff. Carpenter would later get "called up" after Robbie Ftorek is fired. Team also signs some 26 year old undrafted free agent named Brian Rafalski.

September 1999: Petr Sykora doesn't report to camp for a few days because he hates his contract (625K). Back then apparently you were able to renegotiate even if you had time left. Alexei Yashin would infamously sit this season out trying to force a new deal in Ottawa. Sykora didn't have any leverage, so he begrudgingly showed up. However Patrik Elias and Brendan Morrison both hold out and Lou is refusing to pay them more than Sykora.

October 1999: We open the season against the expansion Atlanta Thrashers. The lineup that night:

Gomez-Arnott-Sykora
Madden-Holik-McKay
Pandolfo-Pederson-Rolston
Oliwa-Nemchinov-Brylin

Stevens-Odelein
Daneyko-Niedermayer
Bombardir-Rafalski

Brodeur-Terreri

scratches: Sharifijanov-Bertrand-Souray (injured)

Interesting to compare that lineup with the eventual playoff roster.

November 1999: Elias/Morrison are strongarmed into cheap deals. Morrison demands a trade. Lou then trades Rolston for Claude Lemieux. I disliked the trade at the time mostly because Claude was an impending UFA. But it did balance out the lineup.

After listening to Scott Gomez's appearance on Spittin' Chiclets, he had mentioned how he was battling with Eric Bertrand for that last roster spot. If Elias and/or Morrison had been signed to start the season, Gomez would have likely been in Albany initially. But Gomez now had 10 points in his first 11 NHL games, so he had earned a spot.

Bertrand led the team in scoring in preseason and had gradually worked his way up through four seasons in Albany. The team didn't think he'd clear waivers so they traded him to Atlanta in order to free up a roster spot for the returning Elias/Morrison. Not sure why, but I suddenly felt bad for Bertrand as he could have been the 14th forward on this club (instead of Steve Kelly / Steve Brule) in a parallel universe.

December 2000: Not much this month, but there were public grumblings by Denis Pederson who is frustrated with his role. He preferred playing center but was shifted to right wing at times due to necessity.

Lou skirted the roster limits by keeping guys on IR longer than necessary and Pederson seemed to be the guy most affected by this. One article mentions how reporters seemed to know Pederson was healthy enough to play but he unconvincingly told the press that he was still injured.

I remember one particular poster on HF at the time being very upset about Lou getting away with stashing Pederson.

January 2000: The team trades former 1st round pick Vadim Sharifijanov to Vancouver for a 2nd round pick since we couldn't protect him for the upcoming Expansion Draft. Sharifijanov had a reasonably productive rookie season in 1998-99 but was lost in the shuffle with the additions of Gomez/Madden. Oddly, Brian Burke considers that his worst trade as Sharifijanov struggled and returned to Russia in 2001.

On the Saturday night before the Super Bowl, the Devils are in Detroit for an ESPN game (I could only watch the Devils if they were on ESPN at the time). New Jersey has the best record in the league while Detroit has the best record in the West. Ftorek goes nuts and throws a bench onto the ice when the officials don't stop play after Jay Pandolfo is injured. Detroit scored a few moments later.

NY Post reporter Mark Everson claims the Devils are kicking the tires on Alexei Yashin. He postulates a hypothetical offer would be Brendan Morrison, Denis Pederson, Sheldon Souray, and a 1st. But if Lou was worried about Elias/Morrison's deal, Yashin was demanding 9+ million. So that seemed unlikely, but still interesting to read.

February 2000: Gomez makes the All-Star game as a rookie and joins Brodeur, Stevens, and Elias at the festivities. That game has the distinction of being the first hockey broadcast in high definition.

Everson claims that the team is hot on the trail to acquire Mark Messier from Vancouver. Outgoing owner John McMullen shoots down that thought.

March 2000: (This would be the eventful month)

Ray Bourque unexpectedly gets traded to Colorado instead of Philadelphia. Flyers allegedly offered Daymond Langkow, Sandy McCarthy, a 1st rounder, and the choice of Andy Delmore or Mark Eaton. Colorado's offer (which included Dave Andreychuk from Boston) was Brian Rolston, prospect Sami Pahlsson, a 1st rounder, and a B level prospect Martin Grenier. Allegedly Boston GM Harry Sinden hated the thought of Bourque winning a Cup with an Eastern Conference team.

Lou acquires Vladimir Malakhov for Sheldon Souray. Malakhov became persona non grata in Montreal after being spotted skiing with his family while rehabbing a knee injury that had kept him out all season.

A week later, Lyle Odelein is shipped out to Phoenix for Deron Quint. Lou claims it was a move made to offset Malakhov's incoming salary but Odelein had been feuding with head coach Robbie Ftorek behind the scenes.

At the trade deadline, the Devils make a blockbuster trade with Vancouver but it's for Alexander Mogilny not Messier. Morrison's trade demand is met as he's sent to his hometown club. Denis Pederson is moved as well as he had been unhappy with his role. I was always surprised that Pederson didn't pan out after the trade like Morrison, but I think he had concussion problems. Pederson had been an alternate captain at a young age for the Devils.

An arbitration hearing begins with 1998 1st rounder Mike Van Ryn. The process would drag out through June. Lou wanted to sign Van Ryn but refused to give him a contract which would pay him more than Elias/Sykora. Van Ryn could use a CBA loophole to become a free agent where he figured somebody would meet his contract demands.

Lou unsuccessfully challenged the loophole and Van Ryn would sign with St. Louis eventually. Losing Van Ryn and only getting a late 2nd rounder as compensation was a bummer since Lou had resisted trade offers for Van Ryn the 1999 trade deadline which could have netted Theo Fleury or Boris Mironov.

The sale of the team to YankeesNets is officially announced. Lou would become an advisor to the Nets and would help push through the Stephon Marbury for Jason Kidd deal.

Scott Niedermayer hits Peter Worrell with a high stick during a skirmish on March 19th. We're fresh off the Marty McSorley/Donald Brashear incident. Niedermayer would be suspended for 10 games (remainder of regular season plus the first game of the playoffs). The team then loses 5-0 against Carolina.

Lou fires Ftorek and promotes Larry Robinson. Larry had spent the previous four years as head coach in LA and wasn't particularly fond of the experience. I think even he had doubts whether he had the right demeanor to be an effective head coach. Some interesting stories started to come out:

- Odelein didn't mince words after being dealt and said Ftorek had lost the room.
- Ftorek scratched Daneyko early in the season which caused him to play his 1,000th game on the road instead of at home with friends/family in attendance
- Ftorek scratched Rafalski when the team played in Chicago when Rafalski's friends/family drove down from Wisconsin/Michigan to see him play
- Ftorek sat Brodeur late in the season which prevented Marty from making a run at the single season wins record
- Krzysztof Oliwa was pissed at Ftorek for not putting him out to fight Peter Worrell earlier in that Florida game which he figured would have prevented Niedermayer from taking the retaliation penalty.

Lou also kicks Deron Quint off the team. Quint had scored in his first game as a Devil and with Niedermayer suspended, this would have been his time to shine. No exact reason was specified but the rumor was that he showed up to practice hungover.

Gomez told a story about how he and Brendan Morrison had done something similar earlier in the year and Claude got in their faces about it. Gomez would mention how hard Claude was on him that season, but it helped him become a better pro.

April 2000: Oliwa is done for the season with a torn ACL. He's upset with the team doctors who initially told him he was healthy and he only learned of the injury from a second doctor. He'd later claim that the team ghosted him during the Cup celebration and he had to book his own travel/hotel to join the team in New Jersey. Oliwa and Quint would be dealt to Columbus in the offseason.

Playoff roster:
Elias-Arnott-Sykora
Brylin-Gomez-Mogilny
Pandolfo-Holik-Lemieux
Nemchinov-Madden-McKay

Stevens-Rafalski
Daneyko-Niedermayer
White-Malakhov

Brodeur-Terreri

scratches: Kelly-Brule-Bombardir

The team sweeps Florida in the opening round but the series is closer than I had remembered. Each of the first three games was decided by one goal. Scott Niedermayer scored a 3 on 5 SHG as he returned to the lineup. I had forgotten that there was a subplot with us having Vladimir Bure as a trainer who wasn't on speaking terms with Pavel at that point. I forget if there was any media hype for the Bure vs. Mogilny matchup as they weren't too far removed from their reunion in Vancouver.

Also I was reminded that the Elian Gonzalez raid happened a couple days after the series.

CuJo steals Game 1 in the next series for Toronto and nearly Game 2 as well. Colin White's seeing eye point shot is the lone goal in a 1-0 Game 2 victory. The two teams swap wins in New Jersey before the Devils close things out in style by limiting the Leafs to six shots in Game 6.

May 2000: The ECF starts off well enough through the first 98 minutes or so. Then Philadelphia rallies in Game 2 and takes the next two games. Larry has his famous locker room tirade and the Devils win a huge one on the road in Game 5.

Initially ruled out for the playoffs due to concussions, Eric Lindros returns for game 6 and nearly is the hero for Philadelphia. But the Devils hang onto a 2-1 win to force Game 7. Elias gets the team on the board early in game 7 then the Lindros hit happens right after. I remember being kinda numb after that. Philly would eventually tie it and the game seemed destined for OT but Patty cashed in on a broken play late in regulation.

June 2000: Despite starting the last two series on the road, the Devils have home ice against the defending champion Dallas Stars. Game 1 is a rout as the Devils chase Ed Belfour with 7 goals. Belfour claims his antibiotics caused balance issues. A few months earlier, Belfour also tried to bribe a cop with a billion dollars after they came to arrest him.

I missed most of game 2 due to class, but got home in time to see Brett Hull tip the game winner to even the series. Game 3 was a nail biter but the Devils hung on. Game 4 featured that third period blitz with goals from Brylin, Madden, and Rafalski. That sequence where Madden gets an identical second chance on the same PK still remains one of my favorite highlights.

I don't remember much of Game 5 to be honest. Thankfully Game 6 was on a Saturday so I could watch in its entirety although Finals week was about to start. If Game 7 happened, I might've missed it. But thankfully the team pulled it off.

Last edited:

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

20 years flies by. I can't help but pass the opportunity to reminisce about the team. I think I've told the story about how I was turning my academic life around at the same time so that particular Cup was always a nice associated memory.

For fun, I did a bit of a deep dive reading old articles from the time. There was hardly a dull moment for the team that season.

June 1999: Unable to protect everybody at the Expansion Draft, Lou deals prospect defender Sergei Vyshedkevich to Atlanta who promise not to take Sergei Brylin, Sergei Nemchinov, Vadim Sharifijanov, or Brad Bombardir.

July 1999: Team doesn't re-sign Dave Andreychuk and Bobby Carpenter; Carpenter would retire and join Albany's coaching staff. Carpenter would later get "called up" after Robbie Ftorek is fired. Team also signs some 26 year old undrafted free agent named Brian Rafalski.

September 1999: Petr Sykora doesn't report to camp for a few days because he hates his contract (625K). Back then apparently you were able to renegotiate even if you had time left. Alexei Yashin would infamously sit this season out trying to force a new deal in Ottawa. Sykora didn't have any leverage, so he begrudgingly showed up. However Patrik Elias and Brendan Morrison both hold out and Lou is refusing to pay them more than Sykora.

October 1999: We open the season against the expansion Atlanta Thrashers. The lineup that night:

Gomez-Arnott-Sykora
Madden-Holik-McKay
Pandolfo-Pederson-Rolston
Oliwa-Nemchinov-Brylin

Stevens-Odelein
Daneyko-Niedermayer
Bombardir-Rafalski

Brodeur-Terreri

scratches: Sharifijanov-Bertrand-Souray (injured)

Interesting to compare that lineup with the eventual playoff roster.

November 1999: Elias/Morrison are strongarmed into cheap deals. Morrison demands a trade. Lou then trades Rolston for Claude Lemieux. I disliked the trade at the time mostly because Claude was an impending UFA. But it did balance out the lineup.

After listening to Scott Gomez's appearance on Spittin' Chiclets, he had mentioned how he was battling with Eric Bertrand for that last roster spot. If Elias and/or Morrison had been signed to start the season, Gomez would have likely been in Albany initially. But Gomez now had 10 points in his first 11 NHL games, so he had earned a spot.

Bertrand led the team in scoring in preseason and had gradually worked his way up through four seasons in Albany. The team didn't think he'd clear waivers so they traded him to Atlanta in order to free up a roster spot for the returning Elias/Morrison. Not sure why, but I suddenly felt bad for Bertrand as he could have been the 14th forward on this club (instead of Steve Kelly / Steve Brule) in a parallel universe.

December 2000: Not much this month, but there were public grumblings by Denis Pederson who is frustrated with his role. He preferred playing center but was shifted to right wing at times due to necessity.

Lou skirted the roster limits by keeping guys on IR longer than necessary and Pederson seemed to be the guy most affected by this. One article mentions how reporters seemed to know Pederson was healthy enough to play but he unconvincingly told the press that he was still injured.

I remember one particular poster on HF at the time being very upset about Lou getting away with stashing Pederson.

January 2000: The team trades former 1st round pick Vadim Sharifijanov to Vancouver for a 2nd round pick since we couldn't protect him for the upcoming Expansion Draft. Sharifijanov had a reasonably productive rookie season in 1998-99 but was lost in the shuffle with the additions of Gomez/Madden. Oddly, Brian Burke considers that his worst trade as Sharifijanov struggled and returned to Russia in 2001.

On the Saturday night before the Super Bowl, the Devils are in Detroit for an ESPN game (I could only watch the Devils if they were on ESPN at the time). New Jersey has the best record in the league while Detroit has the best record in the West. Ftorek goes nuts and throws a bench onto the ice when the officials don't stop play after Jay Pandolfo is injured. Detroit scored a few moments later.

NY Post reporter Mark Everson claims the Devils are kicking the tires on Alexei Yashin. He postulates a hypothetical offer would be Brendan Morrison, Denis Pederson, Sheldon Souray, and a 1st. But if Lou was worried about Elias/Morrison's deal, Yashin was demanding 9+ million. So that seemed unlikely, but still interesting to read.

February 2000: Gomez makes the All-Star game as a rookie and joins Brodeur, Stevens, and Elias at the festivities. That game has the distinction of being the first hockey broadcast in high definition.

Everson claims that the team is hot on the trail to acquire Mark Messier from Vancouver. Outgoing owner John McMullen shoots down that thought.

March 2000: (This would be the eventful month)

Ray Bourque unexpectedly gets traded to Colorado instead of Philadelphia. Flyers allegedly offered Daymond Langkow, Sandy McCarthy, a 1st rounder, and the choice of Andy Delmore or Mark Eaton. Colorado's offer (which included Dave Andreychuk from Boston) was Brian Rolston, prospect Sami Pahlsson, a 1st rounder, and a B level prospect Martin Grenier. Allegedly Boston GM Harry Sinden hated the thought of Bourque winning a Cup with an Eastern Conference team.

Lou acquires Vladimir Malakhov for Sheldon Souray. Malakhov became persona non grata in Montreal after being spotted skiing with his family while rehabbing a knee injury that had kept him out all season.

A week later, Lyle Odelein is shipped out to Phoenix for Deron Quint. Lou claims it was a move made to offset Malakhov's incoming salary but Odelein had been feuding with head coach Robbie Ftorek behind the scenes.

At the trade deadline, the Devils make a blockbuster trade with Vancouver but it's for Alexander Mogilny not Messier. Morrison's trade demand is met as he's sent to his hometown club. Denis Pederson is moved as well as he had been unhappy with his role. I was always surprised that Pederson didn't pan out after the trade like Morrison, but I think he had concussion problems. Pederson had been an alternate captain at a young age for the Devils.

An arbitration hearing begins with 1998 1st rounder Mike Van Ryn. The process would drag out through June. Lou wanted to sign Van Ryn but refused to give him a contract which would pay him more than Elias/Sykora. Van Ryn could use a CBA loophole to become a free agent where he figured somebody would meet his contract demands.

Lou unsuccessfully challenged the loophole and Van Ryn would sign with St. Louis eventually. Losing Van Ryn and only getting a late 2nd rounder as compensation was a bummer since Lou had resisted trade offers for Van Ryn the 1999 trade deadline which could have netted Theo Fleury or Boris Mironov.

The sale of the team to YankeesNets is officially announced. Lou would become an advisor to the Nets and would help push through the Stephon Marbury for Jason Kidd deal.

Scott Niedermayer hits Peter Worrell with a high stick during a skirmish on March 19th. We're fresh off the Marty McSorley/Donald Brashear incident. Niedermayer would be suspended for 10 games (remainder of regular season plus the first game of the playoffs). The team then loses 5-0 against Carolina.

Lou fires Ftorek and promotes Larry Robinson. Larry had spent the previous four years as head coach in LA and wasn't particularly fond of the experience. I think even he had doubts whether he had the right demeanor to be an effective head coach. Some interesting stories started to come out:

- Odelein didn't mince words after being dealt and said Ftorek had lost the room.
- Ftorek scratched Daneyko early in the season which caused him to play his 1,000th game on the road instead of at home with friends/family in attendance
- Ftorek scratched Rafalski when the team played in Chicago when Rafalski's friends/family drove down from Wisconsin to see him play
- Ftorek sat Brodeur late in the season which prevented Marty from making a run at the single season wins record
- Krzysztof Oliwa was pissed at Ftorek for not putting him out to fight Peter Worrell earlier in that Florida game which he figured would have prevented Niedermayer from taking the retaliation penalty.

Lou also kicks Deron Quint off the team. Quint had scored in his first game as a Devil and with Niedermayer suspended, this would have been his time to shine. No exact reason was specified but the rumor was that he showed up to practice hungover.

Gomez told a story about how he and Brendan Morrison had done something similar earlier in the year and Claude got in their faces about it. Gomez would mention how hard Claude was on him that season, but it helped him become a better pro.

April 2000: Oliwa is done for the season with a torn ACL. He's upset with the team doctors who initially told him he was healthy and he only learned of the injury from a second doctor. He'd later claim that the team ghosted him during the Cup celebration and he had to book his own travel/hotel to join the team in New Jersey. Oliwa and Quint would be dealt to Columbus in the offseason.

Playoff roster:
Elias-Arnott-Sykora
Brylin-Gomez-Mogilny
Pandolfo-Holik-Lemieux
Nemchinov-Madden-McKay

Stevens-Rafalski
Daneyko-Niedermayer
White-Malakhov

Brodeur-Terreri

scratches: Kelly-Brule-Bombardir

The team sweeps Florida in the opening round but the series is closer than I had remembered. Each of the first three games was decided by one goal. Scott Niedermayer scored a 3 on 5 SHG as he returned to the lineup. I had forgotten that there was a subplot with us having Vladimir Bure as a trainer who wasn't on speaking terms with Pavel at that point. I forget if there was any media hype for the Bure vs. Mogilny matchup as they weren't too far removed from their reunion in Vancouver.

Also I was reminded that the Elian Gonzalez raid happened a couple days after the series.

CuJo steals Game 1 in the next series for Toronto and nearly Game 2 as well. Colin White's seeing eye point shot is the lone goal in a 1-0 Game 2 victory. The two teams swap wins in New Jersey before the Devils close things out in style by limiting the Leafs to six shots in Game 6.

May 2000: The ECF starts off well enough through the first 98 minutes or so. Then Philadelphia rallies in Game 2 and takes the next two games. Larry has his famous locker room tirade and the Devils win a huge one on the road in Game 5.

Initially ruled out for the playoffs due to concussions, Eric Lindros returns for game 6 and nearly is the hero for Philadelphia. But the Devils hang onto a 2-1 win to force Game 7. Elias gets the team on the board early in game 7 then the Lindros hit happens right after. I remember being kinda numb after that. Philly would eventually tie it and the game seemed destined for OT but Patty cashed in on a broken play late in regulation.

June 2000: Despite starting the last two series on the road, the Devils have home ice against the defending champion Dallas Stars. Game 1 is a rout as the Devils chase Ed Belfour with 7 goals. Belfour claims his antibiotics caused balance issues. A few months earlier, Belfour also tried to bribe a cop with a billion dollars after they came to arrest him.

I missed most of game 2 due to class, but got home in time to see Brett Hull tip the game winner to even the series. Game 3 was a nail biter but the Devils hung on. Game 4 featured that third period blitz with goals from Brylin, Madden, and Rafalski. That sequence where Madden gets an identical second chance on the same PK still remains one of my favorite highlights.

I don't remember much of Game 5 to be honest. Thankfully Game 6 was on a Saturday so I could watch in its entirety although Finals week was about to start. If Game 7 happened, I might've missed it. But thankfully the team pulled it off.

Gets my vote for Post of the Year!

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

I remember Game 5 rather well. My friend's wedding was on the 10th, so I was praying we'd finish off the Stars. Of course it went into like a million overtimes and it was fairly devastating to me when we lost.

Game 6, we kept trying to get updates at the wedding. Luckily, the game went into 2 OTs. We got to the bar at our hotel just in time for the start of it. Perfect timing. The girl I was dating at the time was with us, wasn't a Devils fan, and was quite miffed about what she got into the middle of.

Reactions: Brodeur

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Fantastic post! Love the sub-plot of Lou being a cheapskate! And what wasn't to like about Ftorek? :sarcasm: Finally, the playoff roster. Oh my. THUD. :heart::heart::heart:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I remember Game 5 rather well. My friend's wedding was on the 10th, so I was praying we'd finish off the Stars. Of course it went into like a million overtimes and it was fairly devastating to me when we lost.

Game 6, we kept trying to get updates at the wedding. Luckily, the game went into 2 OTs. We got to the bar at our hotel just in time for the start of it. Perfect timing. The girl I was dating at the time was with us, wasn't a Devils fan, and was quite miffed about what she got into the middle of.

I'm still amused that my friend asked me when was a slow time for sports since she didn't want anybody complaining at her wedding. Her August ceremony was great.

I missed the McDavid lottery drawing because of a wedding, but I think that's the only "notable" hockey thing I can remember wanting to see. I was rewatching parts of Game 6 when it was on NHL Network recently and there were some Marty saves that I had completely forgotten about. For some reason part of me was still nervous as though there'd be a glitch in the Matrix and the outcome would be different.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Terrific post.

Gets my vote for Post of the Year!

Fantastic post! Love the sub-plot of Lou being a cheapskate! And what wasn't to like about Ftorek? :sarcasm: Finally, the playoff roster. Oh my. THUD. :heart::heart::heart:

Thanks, it's a fun mental exercise for me to go back through that year. I had some ups and downs with school, but ended on a positive note. I abruptly moved out of my apartment after Spring Break since my roommates were a bit too noisy. One of my new roommates was from Texas and he had jumped on the Stars bandwagon the previous year, so watching the Finals had an extra amount of fun. My new next door neighbor was a big Sharks fan and he'd end up being my roommate for the majority of the next decade. I'm gonna be a groomsman at his wedding once the Covid lockdown is lifted.

I didn't realize HF limits three embedded videos per post, so here are a few more I tried to post:

We got Malakhov a couple weeks before the trade deadline. He was getting booed out of the building in Montreal and the video is from his last home game. Malakhov throws his arms up to egg on the crowd a la Patrick Roy in 1995.

Montreal would play in New Jersey on February 27th and Malakhov was traded on March 1st.

In case any of the younger posters weren't around for Ftorek bench incident (ie, I was too young for Jim Schoenfeld / Don Koharski donut thing. It took me years before I realized Wayne's World referenced it)

And the Madden SHG + Rafalski sequence.

----------------

I was always surprised that Rolston didn't do better in Colorado (18 points in 50 games). On the night of the trade, he predicted he'd do better offensively in Colorado and that he'd been put into a defensive role with the Devils. Possibly because Alex Tanguay was ready sooner than expected, Rolston didn't crack their top six either (Sakic-Forsberg-Drury-Hejduk-Tanguay-Deadmarsh) and Colorado's bottom six was worse than ours.

I was irrationally bitter at Van Ryn for the longest time. He was coaching in the AHL a few years back for Tucson and I booed him when he was announced. Part of me felt like he had given up his chance to win a Cup since he could have been in the mix for 2000 and definitely for 2003. Although I learned recently he was an assistant with St. Louis in 2019, so he got on the Cup after all.

And speaking of getting your name on the Cup, the team did include Ftorek's for 2000.

I typically avoid Power Ranking articles, but retroactively finding this one from before the 1999-00 started was amusing: ESPN.com - NHL - Dallas begins as king of the hill

Devils were ranked 5th which was fair. Dallas was ranked 1st which made sense as the defending champs. Detroit was #2 which made sense since they were stacked. Buffalo was #3......that was a stretch as ESPN's people seemed to have a bit of recency bias with the Sabres unexpected run. #4? The Rangers?!?

1998-99 Rangers had been a 77 point club. They had a flashy summer where they traded Niklas Sundstrom and Dan Cloutier for Pavel Brendl, plus a young Marc Savard for Jan Hlavac. Neil Smith would throw James Dolan under a bus as Smith wanted to rebuild but Dolan demanded that he sign a bunch of free agents. So they signed Theo Fleury, Valeri Kamensky, Stephane Quintal, and Sylvain Lefebvre to replace a retired Wayne Gretzky, Esa Tikkanen, Jeff Beukeboom, and Ulf Samuelsson. Seemed like modest upgrades on paper but why on Earth did ESPN think they vaulted them to contender status? The 1999-00 Rangers would be a 73 point team.

Last edited:

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Fantastic stuff, Brodeur. Always love these bits you provide.

I'm biased because Mogilny is one of my all-time favorite players, but I hate how Mogilny was treated his last year with the Devils and the league in turn. I have to imagine that is why he didn't make it to the 2000 reunion.

On a side note: I like to think the goal doesn't happen without Mogilny. Because Sykora was hurt, Mogilny got bumped up to the A-line, which causes two-left handed players on each wing. For some reason though, on the face-off prior to the goal, Mogilny lines up on the left side instead of his natural right (why Larry didn't keep Elias at LW, no idea). After Stevens shoots it wide, Mogilny bee-lines it to the boards and makes a play on the puck to disrupt the clear, followed by Stevens' two brilliant keep-ins. That opens Elias up to swoop in on the right wing and make the beautiful pass. He also distracts Cote just enough to open up the passing lane.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Scary to think that the following years team was even better and wasn’t able to get it done.

wonder how the 2000&2001 teams would have held up in today’s nhl with it being open and clutch free.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
He also distracts Cote just enough to open up the passing lane.

Definitely wish that game were available in HD. Mogilny's just slightly off screen, so Cote looks like he's in no man's land on the standard def feed. It's interesting to follow Modano on that shift too and he looks like he's freelancing a bit. He tried to chip it by Stevens on one clearance attempt and then went for the puck in the corner before deferring to Derian Hatcher and turning up ice.

Edit: I stumbled on this Adrian Aucoin story from when Mogilny was in Vancouver. Mike Keenan got in Mogilny's face in the locker room and Mogilny had a priceless response: Aucoin spills the beans about ex-Canucks teammates Bure, Mogilny, Messier | Offside

Mike, have you ever heard of how I defected, how they (expletive) threatened my family, how they wanted to kill everybody? You think you’re (expletive) scaring me?

Apparently that response left Keenan speechless.

Scary to think that the following years team was even better and wasn’t able to get it done.

I'd argue that the June 2000 team was better than the June 2001 team. Essentially the same team but with Sean O'Donnell instead of Malakhov which was a poor fit, and Turner Stevenson / Bob Corkum instead of Claude. The 2000-01 team had the benefit of a regular season without a ton of roster turnover / coaching drama outside of Arnott/Niedermayer holding out for the first 20 games.

Last edited:

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Definitely wish that game were available in HD. Mogilny's just slightly off screen, so Cote looks like he's in no man's land on the standard def feed. It's interesting to follow Modano on that shift too and he looks like he's freelancing a bit. He tried to chip it by Stevens on one clearance attempt and then went for the puck in the corner before deferring to Derian Hatcher and turning up ice.

Edit: I stumbled on this Adrian Aucoin story from when Mogilny was in Vancouver. Mike Keenan got in Mogilny's face in the locker room and Mogilny had a priceless response: Aucoin spills the beans about ex-Canucks teammates Bure, Mogilny, Messier | Offside

Apparently that response left Keenan speechless.

Holy crap; that just made me love AlMo even more. Guy risked it all to come over here.

Also, SportsNet did a feature on his defection. It was something literally out of a spy movie getting him out of Russia:

Reactions: Brodeur

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
After thinking about it, I remembered this Daily Show clip about Canada which had some footage from the Devils training camp in 1999. I remember being taken aback seeing Stevens/Pederson mix it in practice. Ken Daneyko and Brad Bombardir are "interviewed" by Vance DeGeneres (aka Ellen's big bro).

Canada! - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Video Clip) | Comedy Central

Jon Stewart was still in his first year hosting the show after taking over for Craig Kilborn. Still funny seeing Stephen Colbert and Steve Carell as supporting people on the show.

Last edited:
Reactions: New Jersey Devils

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...s-minds/a8d75407-946d-453e-849e-a3ffa5b7b3ea/

Digging in the weeds a little more and I had forgotten that Bryan Berard's eye injury happened that year a few days before the trade deadline.

Bourque/Malakhov/Odelein were the only notable defensemen dealt in March and those happened before the injury, so that was a tough circumstance for Toronto. Berard showed up to support the team for Game 4 in New Jersey. The article notes that the Leafs PP was struggling without Berard; They were 2 for 38 in the playoffs.

I don't think it's a coincidence Lou dealt Odelein to the West, but I'd be curious if Toronto would have made an offer on Malakhov had he still been available. Although they didn't really have a Sheldon Souray type asset to give up.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Since I couldn't watch on a day-to-day basis back then I'm not sure if I had seen this clip before tonight.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Holy crap; that just made me love AlMo even more. Guy risked it all to come over here.

Also, SportsNet did a feature on his defection. It was something literally out of a spy movie getting him out of Russia:

1297337058015_original.jpg

I think I only saw this picture for the first time a few years ago. Thought it was great to see the Russians on the squad get one together especially with Slava and AlMo paving the way for others to leave freely. When I really got into hockey around 93/94, I took it for granted that there were Russian players in the league.

sykora-elias-2000jpg-dd726fdbb5cbf843.jpg

Also inadvertently found this photo of Elias and Sykora. If I didn't know better, I would have assumed it was a promo picture for some weird European sitcom involving mismatched roommates. Elias looks more like he's got a night gig as a trance DJ rather than being a hockey player.

For my own amusement, I was trying to reconstruct the lines that Florida/Toronto/Philadelphia/Dallas had used.

HolikBure.jpg

Florida
------------
Whitney-Sillinger-Bure
Hicks-Niedermayer-Mellanby
Kvasha-Kozlov-Parrish
Worrell-Barrie-Laus
[Stewart-Johnson-Sheppard]

Hedican-Svehla
Spacek-Pitlick
Wilson-Simpson
[Kuba-Ference-Boyle]

Vernon-Kidd

I had forgotten that we had a matchup of the Niedermayer brothers. As I remember it, Paul Laus was a natural defenseman but shifted to right wing. Bure double shifted a bunch; Bure played 28+ minutes in Game 2 of the series. Tyson Barrie's dad Len was in Florida bottom six. A young Dan Boyle was #7/8 on their depth chart on defense. Ray Sheppard was on their squad in what would be his final NHL season. He didn't dress in the series but I couldn't find anything about him being injured.

cujo2k.jpg

Toronto
--------------
Thomas-Sundin-Hoglund
Berezin-Korolev-Khristich
Valk-Adams-Tucker
Clark-Mair-Domi
[King-McCauley-Farkas]

Kaberle-Yushkevich
Markov-Karpovtsev
Cross-Diduck
[McAllister-Andrusak]

Joseph-Healy

Toronto had some bad luck with Yanic Perreault and Nik Antropov suffering ACL tears in their opening round series to go along with the unfortunate Bryan Berard eye injury. Jeff Farkas had lost in the National Title game with Boston College (Gionta/Clemmensen on that squad too) on April 9th. He'd sign with the Leafs and made his NHL debut in this series. I remember liking Farkas from the handful of times I saw him over the years; Boston College would make the Frozen Four in three of his four years. Farkas scored his only NHL goal in Game 5 of this series.

I didn't know Karpovtsev got pulled early from Game 5 because of an irregular heart beat which prevented him from playing in Game 6. Toronto had traded away Sylvain Cote in the opening week of the season which perhaps coach/GM Pat Quinn was regretting now that their #8 D was suddenly tossed into an elimination game.

Quinn also took some heat for acquiring Dmitri Khristich a few weeks into the season. Khristich had a 70 point season for Boston in 1998-99 but the two sides were unable to come to terms on a new contract. Eventually it went to arbitration and Khristich was awarded a 1 year, 2.8 million dollar deal. Boston made the unprecedented decision to decline the contract, but they retained Khristich's rights if he signed a deal with an AAV of more than 80% (2.24 million) of the arbitration ruling. Toronto traded a 2nd round pick to Boston for Khristich and signed him to a 4 year, 10 million dollar deal. In order to make room for Khristich, Toronto waived Steve Sullivan who would be claimed by Chicago.

Sullivan would promptly outproduce Khristich who wore out his welcome pretty quickly. I vaguely recall a story from his time in Toronto where Khristich scored an amazing goal in practice and an annoyed teammate yelled out "WHY DON'T YOU EVER DO THAT IN A REAL GAME?"

But at least Sullivan being on Chicago gave us an all time blooper.

Philadelphia
-------------------
LeClair-(Langkow/Lindros)-Recchi
Gagne-Primeau-Tocchet
Zelepukin-White-Jones
Berube-Manderville-(Hull/Greig)

Therien-Desjardins
Richardson-McGillis
Burt-Delmore
Eaton

Boucher-Vanbiesbrouck

I forgot Zelepukin was on Philly that year. I think we might've gotten fortunate with the timing with Montreal preemptively moving Malakhov. Philadelphia thought they were on the verge of landing Ray Bourque otherwise they could have had interest in Malakhov as well. After Bourque went to Colorado, there weren't any other useful defenders on the trade market.

Dallas
-----------------
Lehtinen-Modano-Hull
Thornton-Nieuwendyk-Langenbrunner*
Muller-Carbonneau-Keane
Morrow-Lyashenko-Sloan
[Sim-Gavey-Marshall]

Sydor-Zubov
Matvichuk-Hatcher
Manson-Cote
[Pushor]

Belfour-Fernandez

I didn't remember Langenbrunner having a sprained knee late in the Western Conference Finals, so he didn't dress until Game 4 against us. I thought Dallas was deeper up front than they were, but they could squeeze out wins with Belfour in net and their top 4 D being on the ice for 50 minutes.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
VAN.jpg

I was surprised to read that the Vancouver press hated the deal. Writer does have a funny line about Burke reuniting the "Devils' 5th line" with Morrison, Pederson, and Sharifijanov. They were six points out of a playoff spot with twelve games to go, so there was an outside shot of them making the playoffs. Media dislikes Burke for waving a white flag on the season; Vancouver hadn't made the playoffs since 1996 so the natives were getting restless even if they would have just been fodder (then again, that year the 8th seeded Sharks did knock off the Blues in the first round).

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
https://nypost.com/1999/12/10/scratched-morrison-awaits-his-fate/

Trade talk abounds concerning Morrison, including one possible deal that would send him, Patrik Elias and Lyle Odelein to Edmonton for Doug Weight and Roman Hamrlik. Now Tampa joins Calgary, Florida, Atlanta, Washington, Vancouver, Montreal and perhaps Los Angeles on the list of teams thought to be involved in trade talks with the Devils.

I seem to remember a lot of rumors of Lou wanting to bring in Doug Weight that year.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Canadiens' Malakhov skis his way into a suspension

Malakhov practised with the team yesterday and may play his first game of the season tonight against the Ottawa Senators.

Vigneault has been reluctant to make his doubts about Malakhov public until now. The pair have sparred off over issues such as commitment to the team and the seriousness of injuries.

Vigneault made it clear yesterday that he wants Malakhov traded and said as much to general manager Réjean Houle, who is scouting players in Europe. "I told Réjean about my feelings," Vigneault said.

I need to get out of this rabbit hole, but the more I look at it I think we got really fortunate that Malakhov decided to go skiing. Typically Montreal would have hung onto him until closer to the trade deadline, but the Montreal fans were letting Malakhov have it. Montreal had a 7 game winning streak going into March which suddenly put them back in the playoff hunt. Malakhov was hated enough in/out of the locker room that they expedited the trade.

Ray Bourque gets dealt a few days after and Philadelphia doesn't have any fallback options to boost their defense for the playoffs. I'm not sure if they could have put together a package that would have topped ours, but it is interesting knowing that they beat us for Malakhov in 2004.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The acquisition of Malakhov pushed Odelein out the door which was absolutely necessary - Odelein was terrible. I don't think Malakhov played anywhere near his best hockey for the Devils but I was so excited to get him. Also IIRC originally the trade was reported as Brylin going the other way instead of Souray.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The acquisition of Malakhov pushed Odelein out the door which was absolutely necessary - Odelein was terrible. I don't think Malakhov played anywhere near his best hockey for the Devils but I was so excited to get him. Also IIRC originally the trade was reported as Brylin going the other way instead of Souray.

Man, I HATED Lyle Odelein/Blowdelein/Slowdelein/Can'tHoldelein

Reactions: Bleedred

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I've been trying to track down a particular NHL Cool Shots (apparently branded NHL Power Week outside the US) clip where they interviewed Arnott individually. They asked him what led to his resurgence after his trade from Edmonton and Arnott said that living with Scott Stevens was beneficial if only for the home cooked meals. Arnott admitted that he had no idea how to cook and his fast food diet caught up to him in Edmonton. I like to think I was eating instant ramen when I was watching that segment.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I remembered Mike Vernon being in net for the Panthers during that series, but I was surprised to see that they carried three goalies that season. After doing some digging:

- June 25, 1999: Atlanta takes Trevor Kidd from Carolina during the Expansion Draft, immediately trades him to Florida. The intention was for Kidd to replace Sean Burke as starter.

- November 18, 1999: As a cost cutting measure, Florida trades Burke to Phoenix for the cheaper Mikhail Shtalenkov. Phoenix was dealing with Nikolai Khabibulin's holdout which would drag on for almost two years.

- December 13, 1999: There's an NHL mandate that says teams have to do a skills competition for school kids to promote the skills competition at the upcoming All-Star game. During the rapid fire event, Kidd dislocates his shoulder. He's out at least two months.

- December 30, 1999: Not feeling confident in Shtalenkov, Florida brings in Mike Vernon who lost the starter's job in San Jose (The Sharks would go with Steve Shields and call up Evgeni Nabokov). The move costs them Radek Dvorak who ends up with the Rangers as part of a three way deal which sees Todd Harvey go to San Jose.

Kidd comes back in late February but Vernon maintains the starting gig for the playoffs. Shtalenkov is upset since he never plays another game once Kidd comes back; Occasionally for road games, Vernon would stay back and Shtalenkov would back up Kidd. And then the Expansion Draft comes around and they choose to protect Kidd over Vernon due to age. Minnesota would take Vernon and immediately deal him to Calgary (rookie GM Craig Button made the questionable decision to trade away J.S. Giguere prior to that Expansion Draft as well).

It was amusing to learn that a skills competition ended up costing Florida a useful player in Dvorak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad