Speculation: July1

tatoo

Mar 16, 2002
ddo quebec
Visit site
What free agent is Stan going to get to help Toews and the first line.Is it going to cost more than 2 million a year.?I like to see Stan get a 3rd line center.I know theirs a lot a talk about Soupy coming back to help out the back end as well.Where are the Hawks getting all the money without making another trade.Is he going to let one of the kids center the 3rd line like last year,i think that it was one of the problems the Hawks had.There wasn't much production from the 3rd line and that put a lot of pressure on Toew's line to produce,and without Hossa hitting the back of the net,it was one of Toews worst years.The Hawks need lw on 1st line,Vet d,and a 3rd line center. Good luck Stan.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Or, you know, the Blackhawks could just do what makes sense, and put aside the idea of winning a cup for one damn season since roughly every team in their division save Colorado and possibly Winnipeg are deeper than they are, build up their youth with NHL experience, evaluate what the have in the process, and move forward from there.

Aside from adding Soupy to bolster a back end that is otherwise two elite players, a guy who was pretty good once, and a bunch of question marks and nobodies, I'd be fine with little to no moves.

Vermette was the piece that put us over the top for a cup. His domino effect through the lineup is critical. No amount of finagling is going to put this roster one-piece away from the end goal. Put together the best of what you can that makes sense, and start handing the kids some car keys.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Not trying to contend for cup isn't viable when you consider the core is not getting younger

Wasting a year and spending cap space on quick fixes that won't actually get you over the hump is a worse decision than wasting a year, seeing what you actually have, and making decisions based on that.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
You don't have to build the roster that enters the playoffs next season right now. The more cap space you have entering the season, the more salary you can acquire throughout the season up until the trade deadline.

Get Soupy now and hold onto the rest of the cap space into the season letting the kids play. Hopefully, 1 or 2 develop into players that can be relied on during the playoffs. Bowman can then pick up a couple wingers later in the season a la Weise and Flash but hopefully with better results.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
You don't have to build the roster that enters the playoffs next season right now. The more cap space you have entering the season, the more salary you can acquire throughout the season up until the trade deadline.

Get Soupy now and hold onto the rest of the cap space into the season letting the kids play. Hopefully, 1 or 2 develop into players that can be relied on during the playoffs. Bowman can then pick up a couple wingers later in the season a la Weise and Flash but hopefully with better results.

No Thank You!

That is exactly the opposite of what Stan should do. Being another player at deadline is only recipe for gutting our future even more

Get some talent in FA to address holes and use kids to shore up others (Rotating thru kids until someone shows something and sticks)

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Hawks can sign one year deals without compromising the future. If you can get Soupy and Ship then you absolutely do it.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
No Thank You!

That is exactly the opposite of what Stan should do. Being another player at deadline is only recipe for gutting our future even more

Get some talent in FA to address holes and use kids to shore up others (Rotating thru kids until someone shows something and sticks)

For every Weise and Flash there is a Frolik, Oduya, Vermette, Handzus, etc. He's done okay with midseason/deadline deals. I wasn't happy about trading Dano this year. I'll say that.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
For every Weise and Flash there is a Frolik, Oduya, Vermette, Handzus, etc. He's done okay with midseason/deadline deals. I wasn't happy about trading Dano this year. I'll say that.

But Frolik , Oduya and Handzus were not mere rentals

Stanley brought at least two of those guys in with intent of extending them (Frolik and Oduya)

Its not comparable to Vermette , Weiss/Flash and Ladd in which Hawks knew they had no plans or hope of having them return to team beyond playoff run

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Why would Ship take a 1 year deal? Plenty of clubs will offer him multi year deals IMO

Because he could possibly center Kane and Panarin and put up huge numbers and lock in a really big deal if he has a great year. And I'm not sure how many teams are lining up to give him a multi year deal at a high aav given he has played little NA hockey.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Not after his pathetic play in playoffs

Again, the Blackhawks are not going to win a cup next year.

Screening potential cheap, depth signings on anything other than the basis of providing insulation and support for young players easing their way into the NHL is pointless. Only shrinking the pool of possibilities.

If the term and money are small and they can play 200ft to some degree, then player x is worth a look.

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
Or, you know, the Blackhawks could just do what makes sense, and put aside the idea of winning a cup for one damn season since roughly every team in their division save Colorado and possibly Winnipeg are deeper than they are, build up their youth with NHL experience, evaluate what the have in the process, and move forward from there.

Aside from adding Soupy to bolster a back end that is otherwise two elite players, a guy who was pretty good once, and a bunch of question marks and nobodies, I'd be fine with little to no moves.

Vermette was the piece that put us over the top for a cup. His domino effect through the lineup is critical. No amount of finagling is going to put this roster one-piece away from the end goal. Put together the best of what you can that makes sense, and start handing the kids some car keys.

You want the Hawks to tank? :laugh:

The Hawks sign Soup and sign a legit LW they will be fine.

They have 7.8 in cap space.

If they can sign Vesey or that Russian dude that played with Panarin they will be fine.

Tank.. :shakehead

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
Again, the Blackhawks are not going to win a cup next year.

Screening potential cheap, depth signings on anything other than the basis of providing insulation and support for young players easing their way into the NHL is pointless. Only shrinking the pool of possibilities.

If the term and money are small and they can play 200ft to some degree, then player x is worth a look.

The Hawks are a few pieces away from winning another cup and those pieces are on the UFA market...

You want the Hawks to tank so you can feel humbled? :laugh:

Yeah tank a season so the Hawks can draft #10 overall... Yeah totally worth it.

If it matters what hurt the Hawks was our defense - losing Oduya had a bigger impact on this team than most may think...

Campbell can fill the role Oduya played in 15 and the Hawks will be fine on the back end.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Hossa is 37 yrs old (Turns 38 in January)
Keith is 32 yrs old (Turns 33 in July)
Crawford is 31 yrs old (Turns 32 in December)
Seabrook is 31 yrs old (Turns 32 in April)
Hjalmarsson is 29 yrs old (Turns 30 in June)
Toews is 28 yrs old (Turns 29 in April)
Anisimov is 28 yrs old (Turns 29 in May)
Kane is 27 yrs old (Turns 28 in November)

Team doesn't have luxury of throwing away season when half of its core is already 31+ and other half is closing in on 30 years old

Hawks window to contend is over next 4-5 years and the loss of Saad , Teravainen and Shaw over past two summers has gutted the young NHL talent of club

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Campbell can take a 2 year deal, everyone else needs to be on one year. Hopefully some decent vets who want a shot with the Hawks like Richards did. It actually wouldnt surprise me if Richards returns on a similar deal. I know some wouldn't like it but it wouldn't surprise me if Stan did it. Next year I could see Sharpie coming back on a cheap deal to finish his career.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Campbell would only take a 2 year if he has NMC and is protected from expansion

Hawks cant afford to commit a protection slot to Campbell. If he takes 2 year deal with Hawks he is very much at risk of being picked by Vegas

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
Campbell would only take a 2 year if he has NMC and is protected from expansion

Hawks cant afford to commit a protection slot to Campbell. If he takes 2 year deal with Hawks he is very much at risk of being picked by Vegas

No team is going to give Campbell a NMC regardless, they're not going to waste a protected slot on Campbell...

No player in this UFA class is going to get a NMC except for Stamkos.

I would give Campbell a 3-year 7 million contract.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Again ,, Campbell will likely want a NMC if he signs multi year deal

He doesn't want to sign with Hawks at discount just to end up in Vegas... its reality of situation with pending draft

1 year deal or NMC protection

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
No team is going to give Campbell a NMC regardless, they're not going to waste a protected slot on Campbell...

No player in this UFA class is going to get a NMC except for Stamkos.

I would give Campbell a 3-year 7 million contract.

Year 3 he would be 40, no thanks at 2.33 aav

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Nobody said anything about tanking.

I said they shouldn't blow their load on pieces that will turn them from a round 1 exit to a round 2 exit at best.

The idea that the Blackhawks are one or two UFA pieces away from another cup is delusion. They dont need to blow thing up, but they need to adjust their timeline from emphasizing next season, to emphasizing a season or two down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad