• RW - Carter Mazur

Votes: 39 31.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Sandin Pellikka wins 5th round.

#1 LD - Simon Edvinsson 86.8% (6th overall, 1st round, 2021 draft)
#2 C - Marco Kasper 80% (8th overall, 1st round, 2022 draft)
#3 C - Nate Danielson 68.0% (9th overall, 1st round, 2023 draft)
#4 LD - William Wallinder 35.7% (32nd overall, 2nd round 2020 draft)
#5 RD - Axel Sandin Pellikka 43.9% (17th overall, 1st round, 2023 draft)

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Went with Mazur, Cossa and Soderblom are close. Mazur wins due to readiness. He's an easy bet to be a middle 6 gritty winger that can chip in goals.

Add Buchelnikov.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Mazur again.

Maybe add a couple options for this next round? Buchelnikov, Gibson, James, Buium

Reactions: izlez

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Mazur is gonna be 7th, sheesh Detroit is stacked on prospects.

Hes the same quality of prospect as a Matthew Knies who gets absolutely slobbered over and hes 7th for Detroit

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
HoW lOnG bEfOrE aUgUsTiNe JuMpS cOsSa In ThEsE pOlLs Do We ThInK?

mockingspongebobbb.jpg

No, you're fixed, you vile scamp.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No, you're fixed, you vile scamp.
Haha sorry Bench, after reading through that DeBrincat thread I thought I needed to step my pot-stirring game up. I could see Augustine putting up good stats next year though and he might get a look for USA at the WJC. We will see. I also am excited to see Cossa this year hopefully in Grand Rapids with Watson who seemed to be good for him last year.

Also just wondering, have you ordered your Rodgers Jets jersey for this upcoming football season yet?

Reactions: Realgud and Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Haha sorry Bench, after reading through that DeBrincat thread I thought I needed to step my pot-stirring game up. I could see Augustine putting up good stats next year though and he might get a look for USA at the WJC. We will see. I also am excited to see Cossa this year hopefully in Grand Rapids with Watson who seemed to be good for him last year.

Also just wondering, have you ordered your Rodgers Jets jersey for this upcoming football season yet?

All good, my man. I just don't know why people are down on Cossa when the organization is really happy with his development. He's showing progress and improvement and that's all you want from goalie prospects.

But yeah, this year is when we'll know if Cossa is AHL ready. Big step for him. Good situation he has some continuity with Watson coaching there, I'd imagine.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
All good, my man. I just don't know why people are down on Cossa when the organization is really happy with his development. He's showing progress and improvement and that's all you want from goalie prospects.

But yeah, this year is when we'll know if Cossa is AHL ready. Big step for him. Good situation he has some continuity with Watson coaching there, I'd imagine.

I think there's a narrative element in there somewhere

Cossa had a disappointing start to his pro career at the start of the year and even though he turned it around and even ended up having a good season overall it can be a lot easier for people to lose faith in a prospect than it is to earn it back, especially for a Goalie

Reactions: Crunchy and Bench

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

I do actually like Cossa, I think the upside remains basically unchanged. I’m totally fine with him ahead of Wallinder and ASP. I just have Mazur pretty firmly entrenched in the #4 spot right now.

If I knew right now that Cossa would hit his ceiling, he’s probably our #1 prospect.

Reactions: Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I do actually like Cossa, I think the upside remains basically unchanged. I’m totally fine with him ahead of Wallinder and ASP. I just have Mazur pretty firmly entrenched in the #4 spot right now.

If I knew right now that Cossa would hit his ceiling, he’s probably our #1 prospect.

Obviously I don't know what will happen with any of these kids, the part about people looking silly was in jest, but I'm betting on potential and Cossa has continued to show enough that he's still a bluechip goalie prospect.

We'll know more after this AHL season. Same goes for guys like Mazur and Kasper, I suppose. Big year for some of our best prospects.

Reactions: jaster

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Next year I hope Cossa is #1 prospect, because is the most important position, but for now let's just give him credit at #6. At the moment he has strong competition from Mazur, Lombardi, Soderblom, AJ, even Augustine

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Mazur to me, he's a sure thing. Cossa has potential but is still a giant question mark. I dont know what it is, but even watching the dev camp scrimmage, it seemed like Augustine was so much more in control of his movements and puck tracking. If Cossa can put together a solid year in the AHL then he would start to move up the rankings for me.

Reactions: Larkin2AA

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I dont know what it is, but even watching the dev camp scrimmage, it seemed like Augustine was so much more in control of his movements and puck tracking.

It's their size and style differences.

Without getting into the weeds, the more technical goalies always look better to the average viewer because of conservation of movement. There's a perception that conservative movement is more reliable and consistent, which indeed can be a boon. Athletic goalies (which is Cossa for sure) tend to "flop" or scramble more frequently in an attempt to make difficult saves, which can look fairly dramatic, for both good and bad highlights.

As Wings fans, we saw Nedeljkovic suffer some humiliating goals because he's an athletic guy in a smaller frame.

I know I keep bringing up this comparison, but take a look back at Luongo and watch his movement. It's pretty aggressive, especially foiled with all the big guys deep in their net these days (Ben Bishop is textbook for this). When when Luongo was on, he's going to steal you the game. When it's going poorly, he appears to be flopping around a bit.

Another guy I think fits the profile would be Pekka Rinne. If I'm Cossa, I'm watching his tape a lot, too. Lots to learn there.

Ultimately I've seen both approaches work in the NHL, although I am biased to the more conservative approach (thus my favor of Wallstedt over Cossa at the draft), but the ceiling of the athletic guys is the kind of goalie you dream about having for a decade plus. Think the aforementioned Luongo or even Hasek. Ed Belfour. I'd even put Bordeur into this group. A current example is of course Vasilevskiy, who is both insanely athletic while also being technically incredible (and why I was so high on Askarov and still think he's the best goalie prospect in the world).

It's not an either/or situation. I don't want to come across like it's that simple. All of these guys had exceptional fundamentals at a technical level and for Cossa to succeed he's going to need that completely shored up by the time he hits NHL ice.

And one final x-factor that makes goaltending the bane of so many...

It's the mental game. Drive. Competitive spirit. Work ethic. These are important for any NHL hopeful, but especially so with goaltending. In everything I've seen of Cossa, it's that mental preparation and drive that attracted the Red Wings over other options. Which is pretty smart, because that's a make or break quality between some of these guys. So much of goaltending is between the ears, you hear that expression constantly, yet we tend to undervalue it when looking at scouting reports.

In short, I'm really excited about both Cossa and Augustine. I'm immediately sold on why the Wings took Augustine and I think you, @jfrank21 , saw that when you were watching him in the scrimmage. His footwork and movement is very clean and that's exciting to see in such a young goalie, even if he doesn't fit the size profile of the modern NHL goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad