• RW - Carter Mazur

Votes: 23 16.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
This board is way higher on Wallinder than anyone else it seems. I don’t think he’s a top five prospect for us.

Voted for ASP, best defenseman in the 23 class for my money, and I think offers us a skill set that no one else in the organization can.
I’m with you on Wallinder. People are already slotting him into a pairing with Mo long term when he’s not shown he’s got top pairing talent to this point. Of Ed, Walli and ASP, it’s Ed>>>>ASP>>Walli in terms of ceiling.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Mazur is going to force his way onto the squad this year and tear it up.
He had 6 points in 6 games last season, let's see if he could do the same after about 50 games, then we'll talk about NHL

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
I’m with you on Wallinder. People are already slotting him into a pairing with Mo long term when he’s not shown he’s got top pairing talent to this point. Of Ed, Walli and ASP, it’s Ed>>>>ASP>>Walli in terms of ceiling.
Wrong, Wallinder has the highest ceiling, but is most likely to not reach it.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
We'll see the upconing season. I wouldn't be surprised if Wallinder is in the lineup on opening night.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This board is way higher on Wallinder than anyone else it seems. I don’t think he’s a top five prospect for us.

Voted for ASP, best defenseman in the 23 class for my money, and I think offers us a skill set that no one else in the organization can.
Big fan of Wally but I agree. Mazur and ASP should both be ahead.

Reactions: lilidk

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I see Cossa as a franchise goalie that winds up in the top 10 best goalies in the world conversation. I know he still has a ways to go, but I believe in the package there and the potential he has.

Reactions: Realgud

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I see Cossa as a franchise goalie that winds up in the top 10 best goalies in the world conversation. I know he still has a ways to go, but I believe in the package there and the potential he has.

I've been saying it from the beginning, but he's my bet to be the next Luongo. I can't help but think of Luongo whenever I see new Cossa tape.

Highly athletic, highly competitive guys. They both have this uncanny ability to scramble back into a play when you think they are dead in the water.

In a twist of fate, when Yzerman was GM in Tampa, before Vasy was even drafted, guess what goalie he used as an example of a guy he thinks every team needs in net? You guessed it, Roberto.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I can't believe people are so high on Cossa still. He was old for his draft, and was completely overmatched in the AHL in his D+2 year. His stats were decent in the coast, he came back to earth in late March. And he was out he was soundly outplayed there by a journeymen goalie. I get that he's 6'6 and all he has to do is put it together, he's just shown no signs he's putting it together. Hopefully the new goalie coach in GR can work with him next year, if he does pan out, this rebuild would be looking pretty good.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I can't believe people are so high on Cossa still. He was old for his draft, and was completely overmatched in the AHL in his D+2 year. His stats were decent in the coast, he came back to earth in late March. And he was out he was soundly outplayed there by a journeymen goalie. I get that he's 6'6 and all he has to do is put it together, he's just shown no signs he's putting it together. Hopefully the new goalie coach in GR can work with him next year, if he does pan out, this rebuild would be looking pretty good.
Wanna take a guess at how Linus Ullmark did in his D+4 season in the AHL?

Reactions: Realgud

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Al Jo is always underrated and forgotten about around here in my opinion.
He wasn't very good last year. As an undersized offensive defenseman, he didn't put up much production and wasn't even very dynamic in the prospects tournament facing weaker opposition than what he was used to in Sweden
At the same age, Hronek put up a lot more points in a lot fewer games for the Griffs and even put up a lot more points in a lot fewer games for the Wings than Johansson scored for the Griffs while also being more competitive defensively

Last edited:
Reactions: iDangleDangle

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Al Jo is always underrated and forgotten about around here in my opinion.
Underrated? People made all kind of claims going into last year about what type of year he was going to have in GR and how he was going to be one of the best defenseman and then he had a very pedestrian season.

Long term I still have hope in the player. I think people get way too overly excited about him in the present.

You have people on here saying they think he can make the opening night roster in Detroit, which I think is silly. I think Detroit would opt for a Oesterle/Hagg type player on their blueline over the current Johansson 10/10 times.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Theres a lot wrong with this post. Cossa might have been old for his draft, but in 3 junior seasons combined he basically got to actually play one season due to covid. Hes behind in development that way in a sense.

In the ECHL he dominated the back half of the season and was awesome in the playoffs as well. The "journeyman" goalie won the award for best goalie in the league and Cossa still forced his way into a split in the playoffs.

Cossa had a very solid season and looked like a firstrounder

He wasn't very good last year. As an undersized offensive defenseman, he didn't put up much production and wasn't even very dynamic in the prospects tournament facing weaker opposition than what he was used to in Sweden
At the same age, Hronek put up a lot more points in a lot fewer games for the Griffs and even put up a lot more points in a lot fewer games for the Wings than Johansson scored for the Griffs while also being more competitive defensively
This is said by people who dont watch Grand Rapids. People look at his offensive numbers and say he was bad, but he was oneof their go to defensive players and was relied on a bunch. He hammers guys too.

Hronek is a completely different style of player than Johansson, and definitely wasnt ahead of Hronek defensively at the same age at all.

I dont think Johansson is actually in consideration for the next 3 spots or so on this ranking, but just wanted to point out theres a lot wrong with this post

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Theres a lot wrong with this post. Cossa might have been old for his draft, but in 3 junior seasons combined he basically got to actually play one season due to covid. Hes behind in development that way in a sense.

In the ECHL he dominated the back half of the season and was awesome in the playoffs as well. The "journeyman" goalie won the award for best goalie in the league and Cossa still forced his way into a split in the playoffs.

What are you talking about? This whole post is wrong. Cossa isn't behind in development. He played 65 games in his D+1 year and world juniors. 56 games in his D+2. How many games would you want a goalie to play so they aren't "behind in their development"?

In the ECHL, he had a 3.35 gaa and under a .890% in his last month of the regular season so he actually didn't "dominate" the back half. He also had a below average save % and GAA while playing for the most stacked team.

Cossa forced his way into splitting in the playoffs cause he's a first round pick, not cause of his play. Can you name another 1st round goalie who played in the ECHL in their D+2?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
In the ECHL, he had a 3.35 gaa and under a .890% in his last month of the regular season so he actually didn't "dominate" the back half. He also had a below average save % and GAA while playing for the most stacked team.

We pretty much had that save percentage curve in here, which was absolutely great after game 28 mark.

Clear season turnaround point. Game number 28.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

This is said by people who dont watch Grand Rapids. People look at his offensive numbers and say he was bad, but he was oneof their go to defensive players and was relied on a bunch. He hammers guys too.

Hronek is a completely different style of player than Johansson, and definitely wasnt ahead of Hronek defensively at the same age at all.

I dont think Johansson is actually in consideration for the next 3 spots or so on this ranking, but just wanted to point out theres a lot wrong with this post

also while he may have been "old" for his draft class that also means he was "young" for moving on from Juniors

if he was like a month younger he wouldn't have even been eligible to play in the AHL/ECHL at all

Last edited:
Reactions: newfy

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
What are you talking about? This whole post is wrong. Cossa isn't behind in development. He played 65 games in his D+1 year and world juniors. 56 games in his D+2. How many games would you want a goalie to play so they aren't "behind in their development"?

Cossa forced his way into splitting in the playoffs cause he's a first round pick, not cause of his play. Can you name another 1st round goalie who played in the ECHL in their D+2?

Cossa had 3 junior seasons. He played a whopping 33 RS games his rookie year and 19 games his draft year. You think thats a normal workload for any goalie? Especially a first rounder that needs games. If he was born a month earlier he wouldnt have been eligible to even play pro

As for the last month of the season? Are you talking the games in April or what are you talking about? In April, what I would call the last month of the season, Cossa only played 5 games total.

He got pulled in one which drastically effects the stats youre using. In 3 of the 5 games he had a .918, .971, and a .905. One game had an .892 but he won that game. So, youre using a 5 game sample with one bad game to be able to skew your outlook on him for those 5 games, but not counting the 7 playoff games in there where his save percentage and GAA was lower than his teammate who goalie of the year. Then even though he outplayed Lethemon you're saying he only played because he was a first round pick...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad