July 1st - Free Agent Extravaganza Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Agreed.

I dont know how to adequately explain it, but Nash just looks so uncoordinated when he tries to chase down a puck in a dirty area of the ice. As he approaches the boards its almost as if his legs and his arms are out of sync. Its very strange. I think its a byproduct of what you said above about relying too much on reach and not enough on battling with body position.

Im not sure if its something hes never been adequately taught because hes so good on the rush, or if its a result of the concussion. Whatever it is, he needs to fix it if he wants to contribute more in the playoffs.

Would love to see games of him from 5 years ago and compare to today. I will say I thought he was OK along the boards once he had the puck, but that often seemed to have resulted in not much. It would be weird to say I hope to see a different Nash when he's 30+ years old, has scored 40 goals in this league and has played in what has seemed like forever. He may be what he may be. Maybe just need to hope he plays 75+ games, scored 35+ goals and helps this team to the playoffs.

MAYO

Dec 29, 2008
MONTREAL
Mickey Ribs is an arrogant tool! The one thing this team seem to have last year was chemistry in the room. With the likes of Richards and Boyle gone and add in Ribs, not so sure that dressing room will be the same.

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
Rangers lost 35g and 86p with Richards and Populist leaving...

That's all being replaced from within?

Not good for a team that's not consistent offensively...

Throwing money at 4th liners is baffling.
)
We let players like Weise walk...

People keep forgetting MSL and the fact we only had him one month last year. Hopefully he will make up for at least half that if not more.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
How about the "not running around like a headless chicken" metric? How about, not getting caught behind the net staring at his man alone in the slot once per game, not getting caught chasing a player 80 feet across the ice when he should have let his partner handle the assignment?

I am perfectly good with a lot of advanced stats (I have a few issues with how they are used but generally think they make sense) but tere are absolutely some things that do not always emerge statistically.

There's a perception bias at play here. The extra goals caused by Klein's poor possession play aren't going to look like his fault. He's not going to look like your fabled headless chicken. You're just going to see him constantly stuck in his own zone and inevitably more goals against will come as a result (as well as less offense because your opponent has the puck more). A better possession player prone to the occasional brainfart on the other hand will stick out in your head as unreliable. Your brain takes note because you see the big red **** up and form an opinion based on that. So Klein's play can make you feel safer while actually leading to more goals against.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
There's a perception bias at play here. The extra goals caused by Klein's poor possession play aren't going to look like his fault. He's not going to look like your fabled headless chicken. You're just going to see him constantly stuck in his own zone and inevitably more goals against will come as a result (as well as less offense because your opponent has the puck more). A better possession player prone to the occasional brainfart on the other hand will stick out in your head as unreliable. Your brain takes note because you see the big red **** up and form an opinion based on that. So Klein's play can make you feel safer while actually leading to more goals against.

very well put. I've always said you can die by a thousand duck bites, but each is so small that you do not realize they're killing you. The other part about hockey is there is momentum from shift to shift. If you spend two minutes in a zone, but do not score, that momentum carries, very often to the next shift. Perhaps the "culprit" gets off the ice, his partner gets the minus on the next goal because it's a long change and he couldn't get off. So much goes into it (which is sometimes why the stats are hard to rely upon, but at the same time, over a period of time if they're painting a consistent picture, they're hard to ignore; especially statistically relevant stats (redundant?)).

SupersonicMonkey*

Morrow to Tampa at 1.5. Hoping for stempniak around the same

He would be a good pick up for Pouliot's replacement.

Right-handed shot. Maybe Vigneault and Arniel could plug him on the Power Play, have that extra right-handed shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad