Julius Honka question

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Quick question about a rule that I just don't understand fully. So Anthony Mantha could not join Grand Rapids the year after he was drafted because it was either NHL or QMJHL. From my understanding the CHL does this to protect its players. Now we wait a year and Mantha is with GR. I am having trouble understanding how this year Julius Honka is playing in the AHL with the Texas Stars and not back in the Dub with the Swift Current Broncos.

... Is Jimmy Nill that good?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Quick question about a rule that I just don't understand fully. So Anthony Mantha could not join Grand Rapids the year after he was drafted because it was either NHL or QMJHL. From my understanding the CHL does this to protect its players. Now we wait a year and Mantha is with GR. I am having trouble understanding how this year Julius Honka is playing in the AHL with the Texas Stars and not back in the Dub with the Swift Current Broncos.

... Is Jimmy Nill that good?

Its because Honka was on loan from Finland to his WHL team (Swift Current) and because of that he's considered a European player and is subject to different rules than other players in the CHL.

Dallas' options were to either keep him in the NHL, send him back to Finland, or assign him to the AHL. They were not allowed to send him back to the WHL.

In fact the development fee that NHL teams usually pay to a draft picks club will actually be paid to JYP in Finland rather than the Broncos.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Its because Honka was on loan from Finland to his WHL team (Swift Current) and because of that he's considered a European player and is subject to different rules than other players in the CHL.

Dallas' options were to either keep him in the NHL, send him back to Finland, or assign him to the AHL. They were not allowed to send him back to the WHL.

In fact the development fee that NHL teams usually pay to a draft picks club will actually be paid to JYP in Finland rather than the Broncos.

Why is there a rule that if you're a CHL player you must take a NHL spot in your draft year or get sent back to juniors, why can't they make the AHL? Is it something to do with that CHL wants to keep their talent?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Why is there a rule that if you're a CHL player you must take a NHL spot in your draft year or get sent back to juniors, why can't they make the AHL? Is it something to do with that CHL wants to keep their talent?

NHL and CHL have an business agreement in this regard. They want to keep juniors at a certain talent level has to be some of the reason. The NHL goes along with it, I think if they wanted to they could certainly change this dynamic. They seem content with the way it works.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site

Yes.

Also if you are drafted in to the NHL before ever signing a CHL contract, that rule does not apply and the player had no professional hockey restrictions (including AHL).

Players who have done that in the past;
John Carlson - Drafted by Washington. Played for London as an 18 year old. Hershey as a 19 year old
Jamie Oleksiak - Played in OHL (Sag/Miss) as an 18 year old and Texas as a 19 year old.

This year highly ranked Zach Werenski is likely to sign with London after being drafted by an NHL team. So he would have no restrictions to play in AHL at 19.

Anybody already signed by a CHL team prior to being an NHL draft pick has the NHL or CHL (until 20 year old season) as part of the contract. Honka was on loan, so he was not signed to a CHL contract.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yes.

Also if you are drafted in to the NHL before ever signing a CHL contract, that rule does not apply and the player had no professional hockey restrictions (including AHL).

Players who have done that in the past;
John Carlson - Drafted by Washington. Played for London as an 18 year old. Hershey as a 19 year old
Jamie Oleksiak - Played in OHL (Sag/Miss) as an 18 year old and Texas as a 19 year old.

This year highly ranked Zach Werenski is likely to sign with London after being drafted by an NHL team. So he would have no restrictions to play in AHL at 19.

Anybody already signed by a CHL team prior to being an NHL draft pick has the NHL or CHL (until 20 year old season) as part of the contract. Honka was on loan, so he was not signed to a CHL contract.

Huh? Have never heard that rumor. Good news for Wings fans if true, because Larkin and him are quite tight. There is a bigger chance that Larkin would heavily consider turning pro if Werenski is leaving for the OHL. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense though, I would think Werenski would just turn pro rather than go to the OHL anyway. At least that is what I would do with him if I was Edmonton, Buffalo, Carolina or Toronto and the kid was going to leave U of M. Why bother with putting him in a worse league when the rules don't apply?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad