Signing(s): JuJu Smith-Schuster re-signs with the Steelers (1 year, $8 million)

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I mean, he hasn’t really been that great since his sophomore season.

Not as big of numbers, but he really put on muscle and looked like a new player to me last year. He came up clutch several times in pushing through for an extra yard or 2 when really needed.

I have to wonder if there is some kind of handshake longer term deal to kick in next year when the Steelers aren't in cap hell. Otherwise, this is a big risk on Juju's part if he turned down multi-year deals. Really can't argue about the value for the Steelers. Next year is Ben's last stand. Might as well give 'er hell.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
lol the Patriots really f***in blew it signing Agholor and Bourne to those deals lol. Bill is horrible with WR lately.

Lately? In 20 years, they only WR we developed and who succeeded for more than a year or two is Julian Edelman.

Malcolm Mitchell was trending in the right direction... before injuries did him in.

That's pretty much the list.

I mean, since 2007, we did not really hit on WRs outside of Edelman. We acquired some guys that had an impact, but nothing major. A guy like Cooks had a good year. Amendola was serviceable. Hogan had two good years. And none of these guys were world beaters.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Lately? In 20 years, they only WR we developed and who succeeded for more than a year or two is Julian Edelman.

Malcolm Mitchell was trending in the right direction... before injuries did him in.

That's pretty much the list.

I mean, since 2007, we did not really hit on WRs outside of Edelman. We acquired some guys that had an impact, but nothing major. A guy like Cooks had a good year. Amendola was serviceable. Hogan had two good years. And none of these guys were world beaters.
You're right, I just put lately to avoid the inevitable 'RANDY MOSS, WES WELKER, EDELMAN YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU TALKIN BOUT' type.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
You're right, I just put lately to avoid the inevitable 'RANDY MOSS, WES WELKER, EDELMAN YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU TALKIN BOUT' type.

Yeah, that's why I mentionned 2007, that's when we got Moss and Welker (also Stallworth). That's probably the last time we hit BIG on WRs.

I mean, Pats have obviously great on offense and defense for 20 years, but WRs were VERY RARELY a strength.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Yeah, that's why I mentionned 2007, that's when we got Moss and Welker (also Stallworth). That's probably the last time we hit BIG on WRs.

I mean, Pats have obviously great on offense and defense for 20 years, but WRs were VERY RARELY a strength.
Having the best QB of all time masked a lot of inefficiencies. Gronk was obviously unreal too. Skill positions have been lacking for a while now.

I'm interested to see how this new offense will do, Jonnu/Henry are good but are a long way from Gronk/Hernandez. Running backs are kinda JAGs, WR are still not a strength. Cam is a question mark and I'm assuming they will draft someone. Should be interesting.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Having the best QB of all time masked a lot of inefficiencies. Gronk was obviously unreal too. Skill positions have been lacking for a while now.

I'm interested to see how this new offense will do, Jonnu/Henry are good but are a long way from Gronk/Hernandez. Running backs are kinda JAGs, WR are still not a strength. Cam is a question mark and I'm assuming they will draft someone. Should be interesting.

Defense should be a strength.

OL is definitely a strength.

TE is a strength (though not to the level of the hey days of Hernandez/Gronk)

WR is meh. Last year, the WRs were HORRIBLE! Deep class at WR in the draft, so perhaps they grab one in round 2 or round 3.

RB are average. Not a strength, not a weakness. Michel and Harris are fine. They need to had a pass-catching back though. I'd love if they brought back White, but I feel he is Tampa bound.

QB is the big question mark. I think Cam is toast. He won't learn to read a defense or feel the pass rush at 32 and he lost some of his escapibility. As a back-up and a mentor, I love having him on the team. He was very good leader for the team last year despite sucking on the field. I am confortable with him being the starter if we draft a QB high and that QB can develop for a year. With better weapons, he should have better passing numbers (not a huge challenge considering how shitty he was).

That being said, if we get improved QB play, the improved roster should be enough to make the playoffs. Pats went 7-9 last year playing a tough schedule and having a terrible roster. I do not think we are contenders, but if we draft the right guy, we could be by next season... or maybe I am being overly optimistic.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Defense should be a strength.

OL is definitely a strength.

TE is a strength (though not to the level of the hey days of Hernandez/Gronk)

WR is meh. Last year, the WRs were HORRIBLE! Deep class at WR in the draft, so perhaps they grab one in round 2 or round 3.

RB are average. Not a strength, not a weakness. Michel and Harris are fine. They need to had a pass-catching back though. I'd love if they brought back White, but I feel he is Tampa bound.

QB is the big question mark. I think Cam is toast. He won't learn to read a defense or feel the pass rush at 32 and he lost some of his escapibility. As a back-up and a mentor, I love having him on the team. He was very good leader for the team last year despite sucking on the field. I am confortable with him being the starter if we draft a QB high and that QB can develop for a year. With better weapons, he should have better passing numbers (not a huge challenge considering how shitty he was).

That being said, if we get improved QB play, the improved roster should be enough to make the playoffs. Pats went 7-9 last year playing a tough schedule and having a terrible roster. I do not think we are contenders, but if we draft the right guy, we could be by next season... or maybe I am being overly optimistic.
Defense will have to be very good imo. I think they will be very run heavy, ask Cam to not turn it over and try to play stellar D. Having Jonnu/Henry does open up passing when it looks like run which can help when you don't have any alpha type receivers. Sony/Harris are meh, I think Harris could take a step and be the bell-cow so I wouldn't be committed to trying Sony unless Harris shows he can't do it.

I think playoffs is realistic, without drafting a stud at QB though the ceiling is limited on the roster.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Why are the chiefs looking to give money to a WR? With their limited cap, figure they would spend money on OL or Defence. Should be able to add another WR via the draft in rounds 2-4.

Beats me. Apparently they were after him and offered more than Pitt.

And yes agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad