Judging a trade in hindsight: Kipper vs. Pickles

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
So, the Pacioretty/Rivet trade got me thinking about another trade in Sharks history, one that I'm actually generally still pretty undecided on.

In late 2003, the Sharks traded then third string goalie Miika Kiprusoff to the Calgary Flames for a 2nd rounder. At the time, I was actually thrilled with the deal, as Kiprusoff, while talented, had floundered in two opportunities to take the starting job in San José. He was stuck behind two goalies who, at the time, had done infinitely better at the NHL level in Evgeni Nabokov and Vesa Toskala (who before going to Toronto to die, was actually a very competent goalie). When the deal was made, I was thrilled the Sharks got a 2nd rounder.

Then, fast forward to the Western Conference finals, where Kipper had caught fire in Calgary and lead the Flames past the Sharks in 6 games to advance to the Cup finals. He'd go on to win a Vezina trophy and take two more top-3 finishes, becoming on the best goalies in the league for a period of time and an essential part of the Flames core, right along Jarome Iginla. Now, not so thrilled.

But, the 2nd round pick the Sharks got? They used that to take M.E. Vlasic, who would make the team out of training camp at age 19 and would eventually become one of, if not the, best shutdown defenseman in the league. He's still only 30 and with his style of play, should continue being a top-4, at the very least, for the next 5+ years. He would eventually help lead the Sharks to their first Cup finals berth. Most Sharks fans are now thrilled to have him.

So, I guess my question is: How do you judge this trade? Do you judge it at the time of the deal, without the benefit of hindsight, as a 3rd string prospect for a 2nd rounder? Or do you look heavily at the fact that Kipper helped defeat the Sharks in 2004? How does Vlasic's long career in SJ factor in? His current level of play? Do you just compare Kiprusoff and Vlasic straight up?

I'm not so much looking for a declaration of a winner, more just some insight as to what variables you place the most importance on in judging the winner.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This trade was, like the Iginla/Nieuwendyk trade, a complete win-win where both teams got what they wanted out of the deal.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Both teams won, but different timing on the wins. IIRC, Sutter wanted Toskala. When that fell through, he took Kipper.

At the time of the trade, you didn't need 3 goalies and we needed 1. It worked out for both teams. Moving the piece you didn't need, you got a long term piece that has helped you greatly against us over a longer period of time than a piece that helped us against you for a few years that you couldn't use effectively anyways.

Kipper is a type of goalie that needed many starts to play solid IIRC. That's something you would not have been able to offer and I'm not sure he would have turned out the same on the Sharks roster. As others have also noted, we might not have chosen Vlasic with that pick.

Last edited:

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
The only question about the Kiprusoff trade that needs to be asked from a Calgary point of view is where the Flames end up without making the trade? Kansas, Seattle?

Even as late as 2003 the Flames owners were doing season ticket drives to save the Flames. Crying to media (literally, tears down their cheeks) begging the fans to keep the Flames in Calgary. Then come Kiprusoff who carries them to the Stanley Cup and wins it in game 6. Since then, the Flames have had amazing attendance.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Sharks lost.

They could have drafted Vlasic instead of Setoguchi in the first round and keep Kiprusoff.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
The only question about the Kiprusoff trade that needs to be asked from a Calgary point of view is where the Flames end up without making the trade? Kansas, Seattle?

Even as late as 2003 the Flames owners were doing season ticket drives to save the Flames. Crying to media (literally, tears down their cheeks) begging the fans to keep the Flames in Calgary. Then come Kiprusoff who carries them to the Stanley Cup and wins it in game 6. Since then, the Flames have had amazing attendance.

umm ... you do know that they lost the cup ... right ?

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Kiprusoff likely doesn't get the chance he got in Calgary if he's not traded. It's a win-win.

It's not like Nabokov was bad or anything.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
I think the premise is flawed. The Flames didn't trade Vlasic, they traded a nondescript 2nd round pick. Who the Sharks picked with it has little to do with the Flames.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It wasn't Vlasic though. It was a second round pick.

Agreed. Calgary could have easily taken Vlasic at 25, and had both, or San Jose could have taken say Chorney instead at 35. You can't really look at the trade as anything other than what pick did they get. San Jose lost the trade badly, but made up for it with a really good pick.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
It's a win win for both teams. Man I loved kipper. Not a flames fan but that 04 run was a lot of fun to watch. He had some great seasons after the lockout too. I thought that was the start of something special for the flames but they just couldn't get past the first round after that.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I think the premise is flawed. The Flames didn't trade Vlasic, they traded a nondescript 2nd round pick. Who the Sharks picked with it has little to do with the Flames.

It has everything to do with the analysis of the trade however. Who the team receiving the pick takes with the pick is literally their value from the trade. It does factor in that there was a risk in the selection, but that is a small percentage compared to the way the selection actually pans out.

That said, the small percentage does factor into this comparison. It's a win-win, but the Sharks will end up with more value out of their end of the trade. As of right now the risk factor pretty much takes care of that difference in value. If the Sharks do win the Cup with Vlasic though, it will be a clear advantage for the Sharks in value received.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Flames got their franchises GOAT netminder...pretty sure their aren't salty about anything Kipper offered them ...as an Oiler fan...boy am I glad he left...Oilers stood no chance against the Flames when Kipper played...which was pretty much every game lol

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Did we give up what turned out to be an amazing goalie for a complete unknown? Yes. In retrospect, things worked out immaculately for both sides.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Would've been really interesting to see how things would have turned out if Kipprusoff hadn't been acquired. Non-playoff finish, different lottery odds for 2005, etc. That single trade turned the Flames from a team that may have been bordering on a rebuild to one that Darryl Sutter tirelessly focused on making competitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad