Judge upholds arbitration ruling that Orioles owe Nationals about $100 million in MASN TV rights

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Impossible to believe but the Orioles could be relocated

Judge upholds arbitration ruling that Orioles owe Nationals about $100 million in MASN TV rights dispute

Public angst bubbled up last week when a unverified report surfaced that the club was in extensive talks to sell the franchise or move it to Nashville, Tennessee.

Though a high-ranking club official characterized talk of a potential sale as “rank speculation” and renewed rumors about Nashville as “nonsense,” it doesn’t take much to keep the rumor mill churning in a town that has never gotten over the snowy night in 1984 when the beloved Colts skipped town and relocated to Indianapolis.

There is no reason to believe an unfavorable ruling in the MASN dispute would send the Orioles packing. Any move or sale would have to be approved by MLB, which is highly unlikely to allow the Orioles to jump to a city that might be a promising expansion candidate. Major league owners would share the approximately $1 billion expansion fee for placing a new team in one of those cities.

Orioles officials maintain the outcome of the MASN dispute would not endanger the team’s ability to survive in Baltimore, but continue to insist the advantageous MASN revenue split is critical to their ability to field a competitive team.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
My understanding is the O's can still appeal this and a separate one is on going so it may still be a couple years before this is resolved.

I don't see relocation happening at least anytime soon. This situation is not a barrier to expansion, unlike the stadium issues in Oakland and Tampa Bay

Still, with Peter Angelos not in good health and if he passes, the team could be for sale soon. How attractive will the team be with this still ongoing? Lease is up after the 2021 season but there is a 5 option.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My understanding is the O's can still appeal this and a separate one is on going so it may still be a couple years before this is resolved.

I don't see relocation happening at least anytime soon. This situation is not a barrier to expansion, unlike the stadium issues in Oakland and Tampa Bay

Still, with Peter Angelos not in good health and if he passes, the team could be for sale soon. How attractive will the team be with this still ongoing? Lease is up after the 2021 season but there is a 5 option.

Nashville Orioles? Baltimore needs a local buyer to step up to the plate

If the family were to sell, that means another complication: Would they sell to local investors, or to out-of-town owners who might move the team? The lease on Oriole Park, which helps tie the team to Baltimore, ends in 2021.

One rumor has the family retaining ownership but the club moving to Nashville, where John Angelos and his wife have one of their homes. That rumor takes on legitimacy mainly because of sinking attendance at Oriole Park.

But knowledgeable sources say the family would much rather sell – and keep the club in Baltimore, if a local buyer can be found.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
There has been 1 move in baseball in 50 years.

Teams that have adequate stadiums don't move, this angle is a non-story.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I don't recall when the last MLB team sold (as it's not a sport I really follow). (Found a link that seems pretty complete with owners and purchase price.)

With other sales (in other sports) due to a death in the family of the major owner, this is certainly a possibility. Depends if the family/estate can pay the death duties and/or wants to keep the asset in the family.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Nashville Orioles? Baltimore needs a local buyer to step up to the plate

If the family were to sell, that means another complication: Would they sell to local investors, or to out-of-town owners who might move the team? The lease on Oriole Park, which helps tie the team to Baltimore, ends in 2021.

One rumor has the family retaining ownership but the club moving to Nashville, where John Angelos and his wife have one of their homes. That rumor takes on legitimacy mainly because of sinking attendance at Oriole Park.

But knowledgeable sources say the family would much rather sell – and keep the club in Baltimore, if a local buyer can be found.
Even if the current orioles Go wouldn't the rays the very least explore Camden.Also Maybe a IL team like the rail riders would look at it to get out of the phillies territory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad