Music: Judas Priest, Tom Waits, and R'n'RHOF

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Can somebody explain to me how is Judas Priest not in the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame, but Tom Waits is? I love Tom Waits and own his entire discography, but his albums never went gold, not even once, and Judas Priest has six gold and four platinum albums in USA alone. They started about the same time (mid-70s) and both have several Grammy nominations. Not many people can name even one Tom Waits song, while very few people over the age of 30 have not heard "Breaking the Law" or "Another Thing Coming." So in popularity and commercial success Priest has Waits squarely beaten. Their impact in the relevant genres is comparable and long-lasting. Why?

Notice how I didn't even bring the question whether Waits is "rock'n'roll" at all. RnRHOF has so many non-rock'n'roll artists, that point is moot now.

Also, oddly enough, Waits made the list of Rolling Stones "Top 100 Vocalists of All Time" and Rob Halford didn't. Which is, of course, ridiculous.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It's all very political and subjective You gotta remember that squares are voting on these things to, like out of touch music journalists and millionaires who probably think Rock N' Roll is cute and applaud when little Billy plays a power chord on his guitar in a school musical. Example: when I was in HS that Class of 99 band covered Another Brick In The Wall Part II and you had all these drama kids and popular kids who were about as Rock N Roll as Bill Gates singing "Hey, Teacher, Leave Those Kids Alone!" :help::help::help::help:

I love Waits as much as anyone but remember he has many friends in Hollywood, and is also American. Priest has the "Satanic" and "Evil Metal" vibe even though their songs are not about it, and also you know I'd venture to say there's some discrimination against Mr. Halford for obvious reasons which is ridiculous.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Also, oddly enough, Waits made the list of Rolling Stones "Top 100 Vocalists of All Time" and Rob Halford didn't. Which is, of course, ridiculous.

Which makes complete sense because the HOF is pretty much Rolling Stone's Magazines HOF, not the Rock & Roll hall of Fame.

It was put together by Jan Wenner and has been nothing but his personal choices like neighor Randy Newman, give me a break on him. Short People & Disney Tunes.

And if Wenner didn't like the band they did not get in. Thus the glaring list of omissions. The last 2 years he has stepped back and thus the avalanche of deserving bands the last 2 years. Wenner has chosen to spend his time with his significant other so since they finally addressed the Chicago, Deep Purples, etc maybe now they can next let the metal bands in like Maiden, Priest, etc as well as hard rockers like UFO and Thin Lizzy.

Id rather just ignore this hall and some one else open a legitimate HOF, this is nothing but a collection of Rolling Stone Magazines editiorial staffs favorites. And Rolling Stone is an outdated pretentious out of touch piece of trash of a mag.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Can somebody explain to me how is Judas Priest not in the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame, but Tom Waits is? I love Tom Waits and own his entire discography, but his albums never went gold, not even once, and Judas Priest has six gold and four platinum albums in USA alone. They started about the same time (mid-70s) and both have several Grammy nominations. Not many people can name even one Tom Waits song, while very few people over the age of 30 have not heard "Breaking the Law" or "Another Thing Coming." So in popularity and commercial success Priest has Waits squarely beaten. Their impact in the relevant genres is comparable and long-lasting. Why?

Notice how I didn't even bring the question whether Waits is "rock'n'roll" at all. RnRHOF has so many non-rock'n'roll artists, that point is moot now.

Iron Maiden should be in before Priest

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Priest before Maiden, that's not even debatable.

Maiden has been more commercial success, but, again, a lot more people can make a Priest song than a Maiden song. Plus, Priest started earlier and pretty much created the genre for Maiden to exploit.

But that's all besides the point. I still can't wrap my mind about Tom Waits, a man with no hits and not popular recognition, being in the Hall and not Priest.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
No. Without Priest there is no Maiden. Objectively they have the same amount of hits/good songs. Maiden's puppet show gave them more longevity though.

Priest made their first metal album in 77, two years after Maiden was founded.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Priest before Maiden, that's not even debatable.

Maiden has been more commercial success, but, again, a lot more people can make a Priest song than a Maiden song. Plus, Priest started earlier and pretty much created the genre for Maiden to exploit.
It's very much debatable.

I'm not even sure what the bolded means

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
It's very much debatable.

I'm not even sure what the bolded means

Ask ten people in the street, age 30+, if they have heard "Run to the Hills" or "The Number of the Beast." Then ask them if they've heard "Breaking the Law" or "You Got Another Thing Coming."

Priest made its first "metal" album in 1976 (Sad Wings of Destiny). Maiden s/t came out in 1980.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The bottom line is that if the Hall is strictly Rock N Roll then Priest/Maiden/Rush should all be in over Springstein/Newman/Melloncamp/Waits. The later are all songwriters and have contributed compositions and songs, but they are not Rock N Roll, they have are pop/folk/jazz respectfully. Rock N Roll is The Blasters (which ironically I have on now).

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Ask ten people in the street, age 30+, if they have heard "Run to the Hills" or "The Number of the Beast." Then ask them if they've heard "Breaking the Law" or "You Got Another Thing Coming."

Priest made its first "metal" album in 1976 (Sad Wings of Destiny). Maiden s/t came out in 1980.

Being older or releasing a first album doesnt make a group better or more popular.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
The bottom line is that if the Hall is strictly Rock N Roll then Priest/Maiden/Rush should all be in over Springstein/Newman/Melloncamp/Waits. The later are all songwriters and have contributed compositions and songs, but they are not Rock N Roll, they have are pop/folk/jazz respectfully. Rock N Roll is The Blasters (which ironically I have on now).

Heartland rock is still rock.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast

:laugh:Thanks for the laugh, really.
Bruce Springsteen is one of the most influential and iconic voices of rock and roll. Look at at it objectively and understand why these artists are in over Judas Preist......or The Blasters, lord have mercy. I'm going to guess by your spelling of their names that you're not even all that familiar with their catalogs and prominence.

Also,
Maiden>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Preist

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Bruce Springsteen is one of the most influential and iconic voices of rock and roll. Look at at it objectively and understand why these artists are in over Judas Preist......or The Blasters, lord have mercy. I'm going to guess by your spelling of their names that you're not even all that familiar with their catalogs and prominence.

Also,

I've listened to plenty of Springsteen in my day. I respect what he's done and good for him influencing millions but he just doesn't do it for me. The stuff I've heard is ok and the 80s stuff sounds really 80s (big arena drums and too much reverb on the instruments. I love all the musicians in his band as well. His best stuff is his folky acoustic.

John Mellencamp is another guy who has done lotsa old time American music besides traditional rock. My roommate who was from Michigan played him all the time in college. Not bad.

I think Tom Petty is more pure rock n roll than either.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I love Tom Waits and own his entire discography, but his albums never went gold, not even once, and Judas Priest has six gold and four platinum albums in USA alone. They started about the same time (mid-70s) and both have several Grammy nominations. Not many people can name even one Tom Waits song, while very few people over the age of 30 have not heard "Breaking the Law" or "Another Thing Coming." So in popularity and commercial success Priest has Waits squarely beaten. Their impact in the relevant genres is comparable and long-lasting. Why?

Since when is popularity an accurate measurement of quality?

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

Also,

Invalid opinion. Priest are the 2nd most important heavy metal band of all time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad