Confirmed with Link: JT Miller signes 5-year extension ($5.25M AAV)

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
We need to make the playoffs first to perform. Last year we didn't have Miller and we missed, this year we did and made it. Coincidence? I think not.
So Miller is why we made the playoffs last year? I think not. When we signed him we were in first place.

Last edited:

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Who performed vs the caps because kucherov didn’t ? Palat didn’t ? Johnson didn’t it was not just Miller
We did play two rounds before that. To be fair I don’t hate the deal I just don’t love it.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Not sure why we gave a 5x5 to a player who sucks in the postseason. I think Miller is a good player and probably could hit +60 points easily on the top line but we don't need another player who disappears in the playoffs. If it was one year like how Johnson and Killorn looked this year, I would give him a pass but this is his playoff history... bit concerning.

You're not wrong but read what CoC just said above, that's interesting. We might have some issue with our personnel, but when you evaluate the Caps, VGK & past winners' selfless effort to get there, you can also believe there's a problem of entitlement with our core, all the talent in the world can't overcome a lack of determination in the Stanley Cup playoffs. To sum it up, we're looking for an individual response to our shortcomings, a savior, but if you fix the attitude with this team, they'll step up together, as a group, when it matters.

Reactions: Stammertime91

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Biggest hope is he doesn't turn into Killorn. His NTC isn't a full handicap situation either. 5 million is fair value for him.

I just don't get the Killorn hate. Last year he had more ES goals than Stamkos. Stamkos had 15 more ES points, while also playing top line with Killorn the 3rd. He makes over 4mil more not like 1 or 2. In the playoffs Stamkos has 51 points in 66 games, 22 of them goals. Killorn has 40 points in 64 games, 20 of them goals. ES Stamkos has just 11 goals 13 assists for 24 points while Killorn has 16 goals 16 assists for 32 points. Killorn is also a +11 to Stamkos -4. Killorn is far from a problem for us, guy gets paid right where he should, does a ton of his work on the 3rd line at ES and steps up in the playoffs.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I just don't get the Killorn hate. Last year he had more ES goals than Stamkos. Stamkos had 15 more ES points, while also playing top line with Killorn the 3rd. He makes over 4mil more not like 1 or 2. In the playoffs Stamkos has 51 points in 66 games, 22 of them goals. Killorn has 40 points in 64 games, 20 of them goals. ES Stamkos has just 11 goals 13 assists for 24 points while Killorn has 16 goals 16 assists for 32 points. Killorn is also a +11 to Stamkos -4. Killorn is far from a problem for us, guy gets paid right where he should, does a ton of his work on the 3rd line at ES and steps up in the playoffs.

My hate for Killorn stems from the lack of fitness. I have watched him over the last few years care less and less, but the team around him got better and he reaped the benefits. Numbers wise he is better, but you can see something is up with him and he is slacking on the ice for 3/4's of the season.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You're not wrong but read what CoC just said above, that's interesting. We might have some issue with our personnel, but when you evaluate the Caps, VGK & past winners' selfless effort to get there, you can also believe there's a problem of entitlement with our core, all the talent in the world can't overcome a lack of determination in the Stanley Cup playoffs. To sum it up, we're looking for an individual response to our shortcomings, a savior, but if you fix the attitude with this team, they'll step up together, as a group, when it matters.

No amount of depth overcomes your top-3 players not showing up, you don't get supporting players and expect them to lead you in the playoffs like we do with Johnson/Killorn. Miller's main priority will be to help Stamkos/Kucherov not lead the charge in the playoffs.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Eh. I don't hate it as it's pretty reasonable. I share the concerns about playoff performance but we'll see after a full season/training camp with the team. But it does make me wonder what the heck Yzerman has in mind to still be going after Taveres?!?!?!

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
No amount of depth overcomes your top-3 players not showing up, you don't get supporting players and expect them to lead you in the playoffs like we do with Johnson/Killorn. Miller's main priority will be to help Stamkos/Kucherov not lead the charge in the playoffs.
Everyone has a role to play, but you don't stand a chance if your best players disappear for sure. I'll give Stamkos a free pass, he's just not a great playoffs performer but he did try. I didn't have time to say it yet, but I have a big problem with Kuch's disappearing act. And that exit interview was a disgrace.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Not sure why we gave a 5x5 to a player who sucks in the postseason. I think Miller is a good player and probably could hit +60 points easily on the top line but we don't need another player who disappears in the playoffs. If it was one year like how Johnson and Killorn looked this year, I would give him a pass but this is his playoff history... bit concerning.

Has anyone even looked into his playoff numbers?

His first playoffs as a rookie he posted 2 points in 4 games, he had 6 points in 30 games that season, playoff PPG > regular season PPG
His second playoffs as a sophomore he posted 8 points in 19 games, he had 23 points in 58 games that season, playoff PPG > regular season PPG
His 3rd year playoffs posted 3 points in 5 games, he had 43 points in 82 games, playoff PPG > regular season PPG.

His 4th year is the disappointment year with 3 points in 12 games off a 56 point season, this is one Rangers fans use to project him "not showing up", Miller was their 2nd leading scorer in the regular season which in itself is probably a problem when a depth complimentary guy like him is your primary scoring threat, Rangers have a habit of using players the wrong way so this isn't exactly surprising. Their leading scorer that run had 7 points, their beloved Kreider had 4 points.

Stamkos just had his best post-season run at age 28 - not sure why the books written for Miller already.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Eh. I don't hate it as it's pretty reasonable. I share the concerns about playoff performance but we'll see after a full season/training camp with the team. But it does make me wonder what the heck Yzerman has in mind to still be going after Taveres?!?!?!

Packaging Johnson with Callahan by some miracle (although New Jersey and Montreal could both make this work with their cap space and need for a C) would be a great move. That would open up 16.2m in cap, which is plenty for Tavares and our RFA's.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
My hate for Killorn stems from the lack of fitness. I have watched him over the last few years care less and less, but the team around him got better and he reaped the benefits. Numbers wise he is better, but you can see something is up with him and he is slacking on the ice for 3/4's of the season.

How is there a lack of fitness? He would suck come playoff time if his fitness was trash, he plays above his talent that time of year. Maybe Stamkos is the one with the crap fitness as his plays drops that time of the year. Gary Roberts needs to do more cardio with him.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Packaging Johnson with Callahan by some miracle (although New Jersey and Montreal could both make this work with their cap space and need for a C) would be a great move. That would open up 16.2m in cap, which is plenty for Tavares and our RFA's.

Yeah, that could make it work for now. I just still worry about this coming season when half our blueline will be coming up on UFA. Plus Vasy and Kuch and Point and... :eek:

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
How is there a lack of fitness? He would suck come playoff time if his fitness was trash, he plays above his talent that time of year. Maybe Stamkos is the one with the crap fitness as his plays drops that time of the year. Gary Roberts needs to do more cardio with him.

Playoff time allows him to play heavier and tighter because teams aren't taking huge chances. It fits closer to his style. Now he constantly seems overweight and flatfooted. He gained weight and lost foot speed. On most nights he looks sloppy at best. Killorn scores his points in the playoffs because everyone is playing tighter on our top lines. His numbers are better than he actually is. I am not saying his contract is bad.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Has anyone even looked into his playoff numbers?

His first playoffs as a rookie he posted 2 points in 4 games, he had 6 points in 30 games that season, playoff PPG > regular season PPG
His second playoffs as a sophomore he posted 8 points in 19 games, he had 23 points in 58 games that season, playoff PPG > regular season PPG
His 3rd year playoffs posted 3 points in 5 games, he had 43 points in 82 games, playoff PPG > regular season PPG.

His 4th year is the disappointment year with 3 points in 12 games off a 56 point season, this is one Rangers fans use to project him "not showing up", Miller was their 2nd leading scorer in the regular season which in itself is probably a problem when a depth complimentary guy like him is your primary scoring threat, Rangers have a habit of using players the wrong way so this isn't exactly surprising. Their leading scorer that run had 7 points, their beloved Kreider had 4 points.

Stamkos just had his best post-season run at age 28 - not sure why the books written for Miller already.

I have looked at his numbers before and while it's not entirely bad in comparison at face value it's still concerning. Problem is, I just watched him play 17 games where he was noticeable in probably 3 of those. He looked great when he came over and looked worse than Killorn's bad days when playoffs rolled around. He's exactly the kind of player I've wanted here but after that postseason it's concerning. Of course players don't always go on Conn Smythe runs or light it up - or even every postseason (like Johnson and Killorn this one) - but he was really ineffective even off the puck.

There's always room for him to improve and im not saying he can't change his success in the playoffs going forward but its a bit long on the term for me. Would've rather have seen 5.5M for 3 years.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
That proposed deal with the Devils on the trade board with all of the Devils fans signing off on it would be a ridiculously savvy move if pulled off.

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
He can still be traded this week, correct?
Couldn't it be seen by other GM's as a plus, knowing the details of the already finalized contract? I mean, that is a pretty good contract for a team that is just trying to get into the playoffs (seems like a real good K actually) I'd say he is easily good for 60+ points playing on a good line.
Send him to a playoff-bubble-team for a 2019 1st. Then move TJ9 for similar. Then bring in JT91, if he'll do it for .5 to 1M above Stammer money.

---
Just spit-ballin. I'm sure JT91 goes back to the Island or SJ... and we keep 3.5 lines of solid depth (and a new coaching scheme to hopefully improve the D)
*and I don't see Killer or Cally agreeing to leave a powerhouse Bolts team. No way. Unless we handsomely pay the Rags to take back Cally so he can retire there, playing 40 games a season on their 4th - again, if Cally would agree to being moved

Last edited:

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I'm fine with this. With a full season under his belt, and now some playoff experience (something he didn't get much of with the Rangers), he now knows what to focus on and how to gel with his linemates.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Being one of the guys always complaining about the lack of size up front, I like this contract. People rarely compare apples to apples. A guy coming off ELC with no arb rights like Kucherov is completely different, especially when you are not having to buy FA years. An arb judge would have given Miller close to this number but for one year and then he would have been lost to UFA. This is the type of contract required to avoid arbitration. And it is much better than the Killorn contract because the NTC is very partial and it is two less years, and, Miller can actually play the complimentary role of a power forward, however inconsistent he may be, unlike Killorn. Now we need a coach who can get him to stop making bone head decisions like dropping the gloves in a playoff game for selfish reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad