Player Discussion Josh Mahura

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Wonder why he didn't do anything in the AHL but the when sent up had 3 assists? I do agree he had a great game.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
One game against a below strength Winnipeg team. Just like when people were hyping Guhle because he had a solid 2 or 3 games while heavily sheltered.

It was a good pass to Terry though.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Mahura gets into trouble a lot in the offensive and neutral zones when he tries to be too aggressive making pinches or trying to hold the puck in the zone. Constantly leads to 3-2 2-1 rushes the other way. Hopefully, he'll learn over time when to make those plays and when to back off.

Eek... this happened when the Jets scored their 4th goal. Mahura pinched up too high and got beat when Terry turned it over in the neutral zone. That shouldn't happen with a two-goal lead in the 3rd quarter. Growing pains.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Eek... this happened when the Jets scored their 4th goal. Mahura pinched up too high and got beat when Terry turned it over in the neutral zone. That shouldn't happen with a two-goal lead in the 3rd quarter. Growing pains.
Mahura got back and got his stick on the puck....it's too bad it didn't work in our favor.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Wonder why he didn't do anything in the AHL but the when sent up had 3 assists? I do agree he had a great game.
One game against a below strength Winnipeg team. Just like when people were hyping Guhle because he had a solid 2 or 3 games while heavily sheltered.

It was a good pass to Terry though.

What mighty said, but also he has some chemistry with some of the young forwards when they all were in San Diego last year with Eakins as their coach. So the style of play last year under Eakins is carried into the NHL level. In San Diego, we've got a new coach and several new faces. No one's look good down there, not even Comtois when he was down there. LoL oh sad panda!

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Mahura got back and got his stick on the puck....it's too bad it didn't work in our favor.

Did Mahura really get back and did the Jets not score a goal on that particular play? Hey, if you think Mahura did a great job there while you see him trying to scramble back to do anything as he's beat, then I can't help you. I just quoted someone's who noticed a bad habit of Mahura's from last year and I saw it happen in this game. If you say he didn't pinch up too high for this game while he got beat and scored upon, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with Mahura's game. Nope. None at all. smh

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
He had a good game overall, but the pass that sprung Terry was not difficult. The play was made by Terry recognizing Winnipeg's bad positioning and sliding into the middle of a 50-foot-wide passing lane. All Mahura had to do was 1) not have his head down 2) hit a 90-foot pass completely uncontested. I'd expect any NHL player to be able to do that. There's a lot of members of this board who could hit that pass.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
He had a good game overall, but the pass that sprung Terry was not difficult. The play was made by Terry recognizing Winnipeg's bad positioning and sliding into the middle of a 50-foot-wide passing lane. All Mahura had to do was 1) not have his head down 2) hit a 90-foot pass completely uncontested. I'd expect any NHL player to be able to do that. There's a lot of members of this board who could hit that pass.

It was a good play and to keep the head up is not usus in the NHL, he also had the courage to make this play. I think this was not a no brainer.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Lucky or not, you have to do something right to get 3 assist night.

Very likely it was luck like some of our previous prospects scoring in their first games. Real test is against today against the hottest western team(who knew the canucks would be this good right now). I would be pleasantly surprised if he and Larsson don't get embarrassed a few times and hang Gibson out to dry.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Very likely it was luck like some of our previous prospects scoring in their first games. Real test is against today against the hottest western team(who knew the canucks would be this good right now). I would be pleasantly surprised if he and Larsson don't get embarrassed a few times and hang Gibson out to dry.
Even with Luck a player has to be competent enough offensive awareness to capitalize on it in the pace of the NHL + the pressure of playing in said NHL.
Really crossing my fingers that Mahura eventually develops into that Offensive Dman we've been waiting for one of the D prospects over the years to become.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Even with Luck a player has to be competent enough offensive awareness to capitalize on it in the pace of the NHL + the pressure of playing in said NHL.
Really crossing my fingers that Mahura eventually develops into that Offensive Dman we've been waiting for one of the D prospects over the years to become.

We really do need at least one of our defensive prospects to be a a legitimate top 4 within 2 years. I'm not sure who will be able to do so, as most look like bottom pairing players at best. Lacombe is probably our only non-pro prospect projected with that upside, and he probably won't be ready for 4 years.

I'm disappointed in Mahura's skating for an offensive dman, and I thought his shot was supposed to be elite where he scored a ton in juniors, but it hasnt translated even in the AHL. So far he has shown that he is an undersized, non-physical player that isn't a shutdown dman, but he does have some strengths such as awareness and positioning (at least better than Guhle). Sometimes players just need more game experience to improve, but I just don't see elite tools from Mahura right now to be nothing more than a 5-7 dman.

Reactions: Dmang714

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
So will they send him back down? I don't think having him a healthy scratch is going to benefit his game at all,

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Only caught parts of last game and was surprised by his physicality. How has he been? Is he our best option at 3rd pairing LD right now?

Reactions: Kalv

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Only caught parts of last game and was surprised by his physicality. How has he been? Is he our best option at 3rd pairing LD right now?
ups and downs, just like the rest of our 3rd pairing options.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
One positive is we don't have to see Larsson's face anymore. He's someone different to complain about lol.

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada

I was pleasantly surprised with how well he played the last two games. Night and day to last year. He was making smart decisions with the puck and was much better defensively. I hope he can keep it up because I lost all hope in him last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00