Value of: Josh Leivo

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Who will pay a third for a player who cant pass waivers, and noone knows his nhl-quality?
Can get way more proven players for that. He is worth a fifth at most, when he passes waivers.

Though his stints in the NHL have been brief, they have certainly been promising and show that Leivo is more than likely to become an NHL player. Leivo is in a very unique situation in that he is stuck behind an amazing and proven top 9, and does not necessarily fill the role as a fourth line guy (A penalty killer/grinder). He is still young/has great potential and could potentially be able to show this in the right circumstances (a spot in the top 9 and PP time). Added to this, he also comes at a cap hit of 925,000 and is an RFA after this year. I think that a team that is looking for cheap talent/a hidden gem in Leivo will be all over this and would be willing to gamble a mere 3rd round pick for him.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think the Leafs should have moved JvR at the TDL to replace him by Leivo. But at the same time, Leivo is obviously not as good as JvR. I am not going to claim that. So obviously the Leafs ending up keeping JvR because they wanted the best person for the JvR role for our playoff run.

There is simply some misconception that Leivo is not in demand, at least by Toronto. There is no concrete proof saying Leivo is not wanted by Babcock. In fact, getting protected in the expansion draft + making a spot for him on the 23-man roster the past 2 years (which is already longer than Corrado lasted) is proof for saying he is wanted by Babcock. All Babcock has ever said is that he needs to continue working hard to get opportunities when they come.

Perhaps. We'll find out this season. He certainly had an opportunity to play close the the end of the season and in the playoffs when Komarov was injured, and Kadri was suspended. I don't know what has to happen for Leivo to get more ice time.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Leafs window is open now. If they could parlay Leivo into an older proven bottom six vet who won’t break the bank they should think about it. Leafs aren’t building anymore. Their time to start winning is now. They aren’t paying JT all that money to wait for a 25 year old guy to develop because maybe he brings a 3rd instead of a fourth.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd only really bother if it was a solid 4C capable of PKing really well. Otherwise hope he gets a spot this year and go from there.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Mid to late round pick like a 4th/5th or as a thrown-in as part of a bigger deal. Or they'll just lose him via Waivers as he's no longer exempt. Probably the latter.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd only really bother if it was a solid 4C capable of PKing really well. Otherwise hope he gets a spot this year and go from there.

There is 0 chance of that he's not beating out Nylander, Marner Marleau Hyman Brown Johnsson Kapenan or Ennis

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Based on previous treatment of Leivo, AND based on the lineup being deeper thatis unlikely
He's be competing for a fourth line role, as is ennis, so the depth doesn't matter in this situation. Things can change though. Babcock may see that the leafs need a big body in the lineup instead of another small forward and opt for leivo over ennis.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's be competing for a fourth line role, as is ennis, so the depth doesn't matter in this situation. Things can change though. Babcock may see that the leafs need a big body in the lineup instead of another small forward and opt for leivo over ennis.

You keep living in that fantasy world where Babcock plays Leivo when he doesn't absolutely HAVE to.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well it's clear you're frustrated.

Babcock doesn't have to play leivo. However I gave you a reason why he could play leivo.

But he doesn't play Leivo...... ever for any reason, I legitimately can't remember the last time if I had to guess it was January against Vegas

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
But he doesn't play Leivo...... ever for any reason, I legitimately can't remember the last time if I had to guess it was January against Vegas
December, actually.

You gotta think about this situation logically. The leafs have a hole at left wing on the fourth line, due to the Martin trade and komorov departure. Leivo has the opportunity to take that spot. James van riemsdyk left as well so the leafs don't have a big net front presence anymore. Leivo is that guy. ENnis isn't nor will he ever be.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
He will almost certainly get a spot this year with two huge holes opened up on the LW and Johnsson being virtually guaranteed one of those.

A report came out last year that an Atlantic rival was pursuing Leivo, but Leafs management made it clear that his value was "high". League wide, his value is likely very low, but as someone whose watched him live for years, he will be a productive NHLer (at least 15 goals as a rookie). With Dubas at the helm, I can almost guarantee he gets the chance he's been waiting for, as Dubas has been a Leivo fan for some time and even went as far to say at one point that Leivo has the best board play of any AHL player he's ever seen.

Whether you value the player or not, he could have been playing top 9 minutes by age 22, but has been absolutely wasted by the previous management team(s). If I were another team looking for young, cheap depth (e.g. Buffalo, Edmonton, Detroit, etc.), I would push for this guy hard. To put it in to perspective, if he hit waivers I think he would be the best player on the wire since Grabner.

Reactions: KapG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad