Prospect Info: Josh Leivo

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Some really good news for Leaf fans and I wanted to just share a bit of an update about Leivo

I am a Ranger season ticket holder and sit within feet of the ice and since the Rangers picked up Leivo from Sudbury I have been extremely impressed

he is at a point a game pace but his contributions and talents go way beyond what his point totals would indicate

He has incredible skill with the puck, protects it very well, always seems to be creating chances every shift and solid defensively.

I have watched him closely every shift and I just can't believe he doesn't get more hype around here

You guys will be extremely impressed with him moving forward and he has NHL talent no doubt. His top end potential is a solid 2nd line NHL'er and at worst a 4th liner who can put up points and is not going to be a liability

A couple of seasons in the AHL might do him well but he is not that far when compared to other high NHL picks in the OHL that I see playing with or against him

In terms of drafting I also wanted to say that there is a very good prospect right in our own backyard - Justin Bailey from Kitchener who is projected as a top 60 pick has been getting better every game and has the tools to be a very solid NHL'er. I just can't see him not making it - he has the size, skating and offensive skill to be a sure thing pick as a second rounder

If we are able to grab him in the second round I would be very happy with that pick

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Some really good news for Leaf fans and I wanted to just share a bit of an update about Leivo

I am a Ranger season ticket holder and sit within feet of the ice and since the Rangers picked up Leivo from Sudbury I have been extremely impressed

he is at a point a game pace but his contributions and talents go way beyond what his point totals would indicate

He has incredible skill with the puck, protects it very well, always seems to be creating chances every shift and solid defensively.

I have watched him closely every shift and I just can't believe he doesn't get more hype around here

You guys will be extremely impressed with him moving forward and he has NHL talent no doubt. His top end potential is a solid 2nd line NHL'er and at worst a 4th liner who can put up points and is not going to be a liability

A couple of seasons in the AHL might do him well but he is not that far when compared to other high NHL picks in the OHL that I see playing with or against him

In terms of drafting I also wanted to say that there is a very good prospect right in our own backyard - Justin Bailey from Kitchener who is projected as a top 60 pick has been getting better every game and has the tools to be a very solid NHL'er. I just can't see him not making it - he has the size, skating and offensive skill to be a sure thing pick as a second rounder

If we are able to grab him in the second round I would be very happy with that pick

Thanks for the update. I am happy we picked someone who's over 6 feet. Out of all the draft picks, I really think Leivo and Finn will really be real surprises.

How's his skating?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Good to hear about Leivo. He's one of those prospects you really never hear about, for whatever reason.

What are your thoughts on Puempel and Faksa? Do you see them becoming impact players in the NHL?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I think there's been plenty hype around him. It's just difficult for prospects to get name recognition if you're not a 1st round pick. Dave Morrison has made it clear he's excited about him, myself included. One issue teams had was with his skating, a problem lots of players have, but he's developed at a steady pace and looks like he could be a real steal. Good on him. Looking forward to seeing him in the blue and white.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto

Im really high on justin Bailey, there is so much to like about him as a prospect, i personaly would take him in the 20's. He dad was a pro athlete and his grewup in the same building as Barnaby and a few of the Sabres who took him under there wing so to say, just see barnabys twitter. As for Leivo, you summed him up very well.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I'm excited to see him, Biggs, and Percy with the Marlies next year.

It's tough to transition to the pros, as Mckegg and Ross should show, so I won't have huge expectations. But all three have nice potential.

Last edited:

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Thanks a lot of the update OP, very glad to hear it. I've always been curious as to what sort of player he was as I've only had his stats to go off of. I really like what you've said though, and hope he can make a transition to the NHL one day!

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Im really high on justin Bailey, there is so much to like about him as a prospect, i personaly would take him in the 20's. He dad was a pro athlete and his grewup in the same building as Barnaby and a few of the Sabres who took him under there wing so to say, just see barnabys twitter. As for Leivo, you summed him up very well.

yes I agree - he has all the tools to be a very solid NHL'er. I would say a low risk pick and the thing I like the most about him is his constant improvement. He is not that physical or a fighter but he uses his size and speed effectively and gets the job done

scoring wise he has been lighting up since the new year

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Good to hear about Leivo. He's one of those prospects you really never hear about, for whatever reason.

What are your thoughts on Puempel and Faksa? Do you see them becoming impact players in the NHL?

Faksa always impressed me with his ability to protect the puck much like Sundin used to - I do see him being an NHL'er in a top 6 role. He is currently injured. His stats also do not give justice to the offensive scoring chances he is creating

Puempel came out this season on fire offensively but has not been the same player since his injury. He has been slowly turning it up the past two weeks and getting more ice time but he is not the same player. He seems to be a pure scorer and when he isn't doing that he is really not contributing much. I see him as a tweener - not good enough to be a top 6 NHL'er and not gritty enough to be better than most bottom 6ers

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Our future bottom 6 is going to be dynamite. D'Amigo, Ross, Leivo, Devane...maybe Broll and who knows where Biggs will end up.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Sounds like he plays like Lupul. Would that be an accurate comparison if he is to reach his max potential?

I would say has better hands than Lupul but that is not far off

He is not overly physical in terms of hitting but he uses his size to protect the puck exceptionally well much like Lupul

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad