Player Discussion Josh Jooris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
As they should considering it was a debacle last year.

While theres nowhere to go but up from the way the 4th line performed last year, Im still not really confident about where its headed. A key part of the 2013-2014 run was offensive contributions from the 4th liners. I dont see that really happening with this group, but who knows. I do like the infusion of speed and PK ability. Baby steps.

I don't know. I mean, neither Moore or Boyle broke 20 points during the regular season that year. They're right in line with what Jooris and Grabner did last year. Gerbe is capable of more, if he's healthy. Fast is definitely capable of that, since he put up 30 last year.

It wasn't the offensive contributions, in terms of points, that was so important to that team. It was the way they forechecked. That's what they need. Jooris is supposed to be a high energy player.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I'm not even sure if whatever they trotted out last season could be called a penalty kill.

We could just call it a game killer because thats what it was. If we took too many stupid penalties we were almost guaranteed a loss because the PK couldn't bail us out.

I don't know. I mean, neither Moore or Boyle broke 20 points during the regular season that year. They're right in line with what Jooris and Grabner did last year. Gerbe is capable of more, if he's healthy. Fast is definitely capable of that, since he put up 30 last year.

It wasn't the offensive contributions, in terms of points, that was so important to that team. It was the way they forechecked. That's what they need. Jooris is supposed to be a high energy player.

Combine Jooris and his energy with Grabner and his speed and I am suddenly excited about our 4th line.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Fast had a pretty soft 30 points. He had several points come on empty net goals and secondary assists. Fast should be a 4th line player. We need offense from our 3rd line.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Miller - Brassard - Zucc
Vesey - Hayes - Buch
Grabner - Jooris - Fast
Lindberg/Gerbe

Glass down to the Pack :)

This man hath seen the light
Praise him
But we need a grit Guy as 12-14
Khaira?

"Grit Guy" as someone who intimidates, inspires, can skate, play some decent hockey and fight if he has to. For a reasonable co$t. Not a useless POC a la Worrell, Brash, RIP, Brash, glass and all the other corpses the Glenfather brought in. The ;Garden is longing for this - believe me.

Last edited:

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
The penalty kill should be improved but remember, a big part of the kill is your defenders and what happens below the hashmarks and that has not improved at all.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
The penalty kill should be improved but remember, a big part of the kill is your defenders and what happens below the hashmarks and that has not improved at all.

I get what you are saying. It was abyssmal to watch the floundering D give away the puck constantly and never get it back in our Zone last season. But the forwards also could not handle a pass at Times. The Twins and Klein are Hardly breakout guys, they just swat it away like an angry bear at a beehive. And the few Times they retain the puck then they often do not get it out of the Zone. The FWDs were too far from the opposing D on the PK too, rarely Ever got their Guy, blocked the shot or helped Hank out other than screening him. Fast was really guilty here

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I'm of the opinion that your forwards are actually more important on the PK than your defenders. While that hasn't improved, as far as I'm concerned they addressed a more pressing problem.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I'm of the opinion that your forwards are actually more important on the PK than your defenders. While that hasn't improved, as far as I'm concerned they addressed a more pressing problem.

I agree with you. Forwards really pressure the play up high and force bad passes/turnovers. Defenseman kind of just stick wave.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

It was the way the Rangers forechecked but also back pressured when the other team had the puck and Carl Hagelin epitomized our ability to do that. Truly that's what the Penguins started doing once Hagelin came to their team and he was joined by pretty much by all the Penguins bottom 6 forwards--they not only forechecked but backchecked like crazy but when you add into that mix elite players like Crosby, Malkin and Letang and you've pretty much got lightning in a bottle. A speed and hustle 200' game is lethal when you've got a couple legit superstars.

That kind of back pressure as well takes a lot of heat off the D and the goaltender. The Rangers kind of lost that last year. The Penguins figured it out.

I see the signings of Jooris and Grabner especially as trying to get back where we were a couple years ago. The one thing though is neither of them is quite as good as Hagelin is.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I agree with you. Forwards really pressure the play up high and force bad passes/turnovers. Defenseman kind of just stick wave.

It's vital for the D to try to control the front of the net. They're more tied to a certain area than the forwards are. It can be a job---you have big physical guys like Hornqvist or Simmonds setting up in front of the net it's not easy to control them and follow the play at the same time and switch off besides.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

I agree with your opinion.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
This man hath seen the light
Praise him
But we need a grit Guy as 12-14
Khaira?

"Grit Guy" as someone who intimidates, inspires, can skate, play some decent hockey and fight if he has to. For a reasonable co$t. Not a useless POC a la Worrell, Brash, RIP, Brash, glass and all the other corpses the Glenfather brought in. The ;Garden is longing for this - believe me.

Grit guy= glass

darko

Feb 16, 2009
According to some on main boards he could be more than a 4th liner. We'll see I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad