Signing(s): Josh Hader signs with the Astros (5 years, $95 million)

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Expensive, but between Houston getting reinforcements on the starting end with McCullers and Garcia coming back they don't really need to spend that money elsewhere.

Someone in the Astros org went back and watched 2022 highlights while realizing their super pen basically won the World Series for them. Abreu/Pressly/Hader is probably now the best back end in baseball.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kinda feel like it’s weird to have a closer tried and true as Pressly is and you still replace him, and at this kind of commitment.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Kinda feel like it’s weird to have a closer tried and true as Pressly is and you still replace him, and at this kind of commitment.

Pressly is the kind of guy who will swallow his pride and make it all work. Now Hader, you want him to pitch 8th? Nope. You want him to pitch more than one inning? No way jose. That's a primadonna you gotta nurture but if you do, the rewards are immense.

Reactions: GKJ

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

f*** this guy, wouldn't want him on my team.

Obviously one of the best closers but he refuses to go more than an inning, doesn't like pitching consecutive days and more concerned with himself than the team.

personally i think you can spend 100M better somewhere else

Reactions: SoupNazi

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

f*** this guy, wouldn't want him on my team.

Obviously one of the best closers but he refuses to go more than an inning, doesn't like pitching consecutive days and more concerned with himself than the team.

personally i think you can spend 100M better somewhere else

I remember hearing something about his attitude was caused by how the team crapped on him during arbitration or something so he decided to not kill himself if that was how they were going to value/treat him

I might be off on the specifics but he had reasoning behind it, it wasn't a case of he woke up one morning and decided to be a dick

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Pressly is the kind of guy who will swallow his pride and make it all work. Now Hader, you want him to pitch 8th? Nope. You want him to pitch more than one inning? No way jose. That's a primadonna you gotta nurture but if you do, the rewards are immense.
1)you're right about Pressly, they talked to him and both Brown and Espada said he was professional about it and was aĺl in on the move. Although even if he wasn't all in, I don't think that changes things. I think Crane wanted Hader, period.

2)apparently hader told Crane he would pitch multiple innings in the playoffs. We'll see but at the same time, they have Abreu and Pressly, maybe not might situations when they need him for 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad