Speculation: Josh Gorges $3.9M/6 years Bad Contract or Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
This has nothing to do with tonight's game as I have brought this up before.

Not to knock on the guy, but I'm still unclear as to why he's making this much money? Leadership and shot blocking can be had for much less.

Skillset:

Above average defensively, but smallish and unable to clear the front of the net. Physical game leaves a lot to be desired. Good locker room guy and a leader.

0 offensive ability.

Last edited:

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
He's a reliable top-4 defenseman making below-market money. Tampa or Philly or a number of teams would kill to have him on their team and at that contract.

I don't see an issue, other than expecting him to do anything offensively. I think you're selling him short by saying he's "above average"...he's not having a great season, but he's a good to very good shutdown defenseman. He takes the body well and lays it all out on the ice.

He's Gionta on defense, and that's why I'm a huge fan of both.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
I like Gorges. He's a good shutdown D and a heart and soul player. That being said I do think he is a bit overpaid and overrated.

I think he's a guy that can be replaced from wihin soon with the emergence of Emelin, Diaz, Tinordi and the likes of Pateryn, Dietz and Ellis so I would consider trading him this summer since he seems to have a good reputation around the league and he could bring back good value.

I don't expect that to be a popular idea though :laugh:

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
yes he is overrated. i hate his skating and lateral move, its unorthodox and doesn't look smooth. his skating is below average, reminds me a bit of david wilkie back in the day. i also hate him in the offensive zone and dumping it in the corner, he thinks he's penalty killing when we are on the powerplay.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Gorges gets paid fairly for everything he brings. He provides leadership, plays hard every shift, kills penalties. Paid about the same as Chris Phillips and is similar in skillset.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
He is a heart and soul kinda guy remember when he got hit in the helmet with that puck it cracked his helmet he didn't miss a game. That being said he has not played all that well this year, I still remember earlier this year when Mike Brown bumped him in the corner and took the puck from georges with ease which led to a goal, that one had me heated

marvelousmotion

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
Not to knock on the guy, but I'm still unclear as to why he's making this much money? Leadership and shot blocking can be had for much less.

Skillset:

Above average defensively, but smallish and unable to clear the front of the net. Physical game leaves a lot to be desired. Good locker room guy and a leader.

0 offensive ability.

Gorges is steady and reliable, period. With him, you get what you expect. You know that he will never take a shift off and will always give his all for his team every single shift. He does the little things right, rarely makes mistakes and often wins his puck battles. Excellent work ethic and team first player. He's also relatively young at 28 and will be around 33 by the time his contract expires.

That being said, I also agree that he doesn't have much offensive flair (to be honest, I have no clue what he is doing on the PP) and that he's not overly physical. While it's true that $3.9M/year is not necessarily a bargain, I would say that the value of his contract is fair. He would cost a lot more than that if he had one of the two aforementioned abilities that he lacks.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
I really don't get how Emelin doesn't even get a sniff of the PP. It's not like Gorges and Bouillon have been lights out. I mean it's obvious he's more competent than Gorges on the offensive blueline and he's got more points than both these guys...

bib

#believe
Aug 28, 2007
Guess it depends what system you have him in.

In a team that has a high SAA, his stats excel.

I don't see him as an integral part to a cup winning team.

More of a bystander, ala Moen or Sopel.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Guess it depends what system you have him in.

In a team that has a high SAA, his stats excel.

I don't see him as an integral part to a cup winning team.

More of a bystander, ala Moen or Sopel.

Moen was integral when Anaheim won the stanley cup, he had 12 pts (7 goals !) in 21 games during the playoff, while playing on a very physical defensive shutdown line against the best lines of the opponent.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
The contract is fine.

If they trade him, expect a Rivet type return because he has a good reputation in the NHL.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
My thoughts are well noted, he's overrated and replaceable. However, try the 'Josh Gorges Drinking Game' one night. Take one drink every time he dumps it into the corner in the offensive zone, rather than putting it on net. You'll be drunk by the middle of the 2nd period.

He has the offensive instinct of Robert Dirk, yet he continues to get time on the PP for some reason.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Going forward, we need a better ES partner for Subban. Gorges works well with him because he will sit back and let PK be aggressive, but if PK had a partner in a similar mold, but with some better size and physicality, it would be more effective. Gorges is way more effective on a lower pairing, and at best he's a #4, simply due to his lack of offensive skills. In the Future, it would be nice to see him have a proper role and succeed. It's not his fault he's being asked to do things he can't do well.

HarlemsFinest

teh gallys!!1
Jul 2, 2009
Montreal
www.montrealracing.com
look. 4 millie is not that much money. it is for people living in a time when saku was the highest paid hab in history at like 4.5-5. these days it's status quo money for someone who brings what Gorges brings. i know the cap went down. but still. it's negligable. he is also paid what he signed for for the years to follow (obvious), but his pay doesn't change while inflation and cap and player markets and similar UFA's are siging for, the contract gains in value over time. as long as he stays his rubberman, shotblocking, leader, self.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
look. 4 millie is not that much money. it is for people living in a time when saku was the highest paid hab in history at like 4.5-5. these days it's status quo money for someone who brings what Gorges brings. i know the cap went down. but still. it's negligable. he is also paid what he signed for for the years to follow (obvious), but his pay doesn't change while inflation and cap and player markets and similar UFA's are siging for, the contract gains in value over time. as long as he stays his rubberman, shotblocking, leader, self.

agreed. His value comes from using him correctly and managing the cap otherwise. all indication shows that MB will be smart with the lower cap, we shouldn't worry about his caphit, we should worry about getting the most out of a fearless, heart and soul guy.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I didn't like the deal when it was signed. I'm not huge on him. I find he looks awful on most nights and has about as much offensive instincts as the old Harold Snepsts had.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

Cap drops next year. It's a lot with the cap as it is right now and we won't be hitting this number for a few years.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
you can say this has nothing to do with the 2 losses in a row, but thats when you created this.

Everything\one looks worse after 2 losses in a row, especially when the habs scored 1 goal.

contract and term are very fair for his contributions to the team. Easy to say, ohh leadership and shot blocking can be had for cheaper, but where are these defensemen?
Hardly anyone decent every makes it to free agency & are worth a premium on the trade market.

you dont what you got until its gonnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeee

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Contract is fine and in the range of what good UFA eligible defensive D-men get. Grossman signed for $3.5M per with the Flyers and Volchenkov signed with New Jersey for $4.25M. Move along people, nothing to see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad