Recalled/Assigned: Josh Brook sent down to the Trois-Rivieres Lions (ECHL)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He had a very good season last year, gets a major knee injury at the end of the season, misses most of the season, comes back, plays 3 games in 4 days, reinjuries the knee to the point he can't bend it. Laval was so thin on defense so I don't know if they rushed him back or it was just a fluke that he re-injured it but usually when someone has a major injury and is out for 7 or 8 months, you don't see them come back and play 3 games in 4 days.

But whatever happened, he reinjured the same knee, missed almost 5 weeks, comes back plays 2 games in 4 days and just looked terrible, So for a guy that relies on his excellent skating, mobility, if he loses that which I'm not saying he will or won't, but without that his career would likely be short lived. That said I wouldn't look at this as him being sent down but more of a conditioning assignment. He does not look ready physically, Laval is looking like they will make the playoffs but it's still very tight so they can't use him now if he's not ready physically as now is not the time to see if he can be ok or not. Making the playoffs is all that matters at this point.

As long as he can get his game back, the knee doesn't become a problem for him, he continues to add mass and strength, I think he will be an NHLer. The problem is now he's running out of time. Next year he has to clear waivers, going into this season he's only played 100 AHL games, last season he was on pace for 34 points with almost no PP time, so does some team look at that and take a gamble on him, or can he have a full year in Laval to get back or track, with Barron and Norlinder, do the Habs even bring him back? We'll see. But so far his game has not transition well at all from the WHL to the AHL so clearly I overrated that he could do that and I'm not really sure why as the player I saw in the WHL is nothing like the way he plays in the AHL, I assume it's a lack of confidence cause he was great at rushing the puck up ice and in the AHL you almost never see him try that.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
i didn't see a lot of his games but thought that he was really good to see the ice and find the line to pass the puck. Made me feel that he was playing a kind of Markov style of game

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Not looking goo . Can’t make top 6 in Laval
Wrong. This is extremely good news.

He's been injured severely multiple times. He was rushed back (in my opinion) and it cost him yet again.

He needs to play games, but he also needs to just condition. That's what this is. He'll be back next year, if healthy, and be in the Top-6 in Laval.

Reactions: Tyson

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
And he was trending well before his injuries. In a world where he doesn't destroy his knee, he likely see time with the Habs this season and maybe he's the one to stay up instead of Schueneman.
I doubt it. Brook had serious dip in play from junior. To me his decision making just seems to slow for pro game

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
what does being injured and needing a conditioning stint have to do with it being his 3rd year.
I don’t see a future NHLer in this guy. When guys are on the fringes and have major injuries followed by an almost immediate setback I think it almost destroys whatever chance they had.

Wish him well, but I don’t expect him to ever be wearing the CH full time. I think it was mostly mrb*%#^ or whatever his name was that overrated JB so badly it was comical.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Another case of judging a player from the CHL too fast. If he was from the NCAA, he would be a brand new pro player. Because he took the CHL path, he is done in the view of most. Brook had a good year in 2020/21 but had a serious knee injury. It was pointless to keep him with Laval if he is not fully ready. The idea to have an AHL team in Laval and ECHL team in Trois-Rivières was exactly to make these kind of moves easy. I am not saying Brook will have a great career in the NHL, but it is still too early to count him out.. He will be 23 next season. It is still young for a D. Because of covid and injuries, he played only 106 games in the AHL in more than three years. It is not enough for a player like him. He is in the same situation as Primeau. He needs to play games fully healthy in the AHL.

Reactions: montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad