Speculation: Josh Bailey: Could he move back to center?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Pure speculation, but let's just say Anders Lee has a phenomenal camp, and shows great chemistry with Nielsen and Grabner. Do you think the coaching staff would move Bailey to the fourth line, specifically back at center? While Bailey has historically looked better on the wing during his career, he's always been more of a playmaker, has size, and can win faceoffs.

Another scenario would be either one of Tavares/Grabovski/Nielsen missing time. Do you think Bailey is the guy who gets moved to center, or will it be Nelson or Strome?

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
If Bailey beats Lee out in camp you will see this -

Nelson - Tavares - Okposo
Kulemin - Grabovski - Strome
Bailey - Nielsen - Grabner
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

They will send Lee down to get top 6 minutes in the AHL to not hinder his development. If Bailey can produce on the 3rd line and rekindle his value, Garth is going to end up shopping him at the deadline for an upgrade on D. Or, he might be using Lee in a package deal. Who knows.

I find it highly unlikely that we will be putting our best young players on the 4th line, it would be a waste for Nelson or Strome to be on the 4th line. I still think the best scenario is for Garth to be on the phones and try to work a trade. We're in a log jam right now, but that competition in camp is going to be fierce. I don't trust our staff to make a proper decision though when it comes to evaluating our players in camp... Capuano is a turd.

BroadwayJay*

Pure speculation, but let's just say Anders Lee has a phenomenal camp, and shows great chemistry with Nielsen and Grabner. Do you think the coaching staff would move Bailey to the fourth line, specifically back at center? While Bailey has historically looked better on the wing during his career, he's always been more of a playmaker, has size, and can win faceoffs.

Another scenario would be either one of Tavares/Grabovski/Nielsen missing time. Do you think Bailey is the guy who gets moved to center, or will it be Nelson or Strome?

He should be moved to center the fourth line. However, I am doubtful that will happen.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He is more suited there, but then what of Cizikas? I doubt it because they just resigned Cizikas to a 2 yr deal.

Cizikas or Martin would be the left wing, the one who is not would be the 13th forward.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He should be moved to center the fourth line. However, I am doubtful that will happen.

I would like to see it.

I think a Cizikas/Martin-Bailey-Clutterbuck fourth line is a good fourth line and Bailey needs a serious wake up call. Not only does he need to produce more consistently, but he needs to show more energy and fire. I think he needs to learn the latter before he can do the former. The fourth line would be a good start.

Plus, I think Nielsen needs a big body who can work the boards for him. Lee fits that description.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Cizikas or Martin would be the left wing, the one who is not would be the 13th forward.

Bailey had a higher FO %, but Casey also took way more then him. Bailey is either:

A) Not a center anymore because he sucks on the draw
or​

B) Has been moved all over the place because we're loaded with centers

Bailey > Cizikas and Martin though.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
If Bailey is moved to the 4th line, it won't be an energy line. That will be a hockey line. Plus, you will have even more depth across the board. I kinda agree with it now but still we cannot trust this staff to make the right decision.

BroadwayJay*

I would like to see it.

I think a Cizikas/Martin-Bailey-Clutterbuck fourth line is a good fourth line and Bailey needs a serious wake up call. Not only does he need to produce more consistently, but he needs to show more energy and fire. I think he needs to learn the latter before he can do the former. The fourth line would be a good start.

Plus, I think Nielsen needs a big body who can work the boards for him. Lee fits that description.

Cizikas and Martin also need wakeup calls.

I think Martin should fill the role that Boulton fills.

I think a Cizikas - Bailey - Clutterbuck line would be acceptable.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Bailey had a higher FO %, but Casey also took way more then him. Bailey is either:

A) Not a center anymore because he sucks on the draw
or​

B) Has been moved all over the place because we're loaded with centers

Bailey > Cizikas and Martin though.

Bailey vs. Cizikas on faceoffs over a similar sample size would probably be a wash. I just think a high motor guy like Cizikas fits better on the wing, and having Clutterbuck and Martin on the same line is too redundant for my preference.

BroadwayJay*

If Bailey is moved to the 4th line, it won't be an energy line. That will be a hockey line. Plus, you will have even more depth across the board. I kinda agree with it now but still we cannot trust this staff to make the right decision.

I'd rather have a hockey line than an energy line.

What did the energy line do for us last year, other than get routinely beaten?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Cizikas and Martin also need wakeup calls.

I think Martin should fill the role that Boulton fills.

I think a Cizikas - Bailey - Clutterbuck line would be acceptable.

Yep. Having them battle it out for the 4th line LW spot would definitely be a wake up call.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Bailey vs. Cizikas on faceoffs over a similar sample size would probably be a wash. I just think a high motor guy like Cizikas fits better on the wing, and having Clutterbuck and Martin on the same line is too redundant for my preference.

Exactly.

I know Clutterbuck gets a lot of flack on here, but he is still a smarter player then Martin. Martin hits aimlessly, Clutterbuck actually has a lot more awareness.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Having Cizikas, Clutterbuck, and Martin flank Bailey would be a good mix for a fourth line. Not too much energy, not too much hockey.

At least that's what I think.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Also remember this, Bailey passes way to much, he needs to shoot more. I think in order for Bailey to succeed he needs a legit trigger man.

BroadwayJay*

Is there such a thing as "too much hockey?"

I'll take all the hockey I can get!

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah, if Lee makes the team then I think Bailey is getting moved to 4C.

But if that happens we are waiving (or trying to trade) three guys at the start of the season. I don't see that happening.

Also, if we are keeping Boulton, then to me: Martin < Cizikas < McDonald. And I'd like to see them waived/traded in that order.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
The problem with Lee is that at this point in his career, he doesn't have the defensive acumen to line up against other teams' top lines. Grabovski was borught in to play an role, which likely means, Nielsen's line will continue to be used as the shutdown line. With the promise that Kulemin will get to play on Grabovski's LW, that leaves the available LW spots as 1st line, 4th line, or shutdown line.

Since Lee is likely to be better off, developmentally speaking, on the 1st line in the AHL than on the 4th line in NHL, he pretty much has to get the spot on Tavares' LW, or he's probably going back to Bridgeport. At least, until injuries hit.

That said, if he does get that spot, Nelson could take Nielsen's LW, which could still see Bailey centering the 4th line. I wouldn't have a problem with that, I've wondered multiple times if a switch back to center would be beneficial for Bailey.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
If the price was right, I wouldn't be opposed to trading Nielsen. It would have to be a good return though.

Yet another option to play Nelson at center would be moving Nielsen to LW. Nielsen's size and poor faceoffs have always left him unideal as a center, but these would be less of an issue on wing. I also think his style of playmaking is well suited to the LW, especially if he's flanking a goalscoring lefty center. And being allowed to play a little more aggressivele would get him more breakaways, and he's pretty good on breakaways. If I were a coach, I would feel pretty comfortable lining up a line of say, Nielsen-Nelson-Grabner against pretty much any line.

But I'm guessing we'll never see that happen. The idea that Nielsen's defensive game is too valuable to move from center seems to be the prevailing logic of management and coaching.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

He is more suited there, but then what of Cizikas? I doubt it because they just resigned Cizikas to a 2 yr deal.

I would like to see it.

I recommended this earlier BUT I want him to show me energy line contact. I believe this would resurrect his career. It would force him to simplify his game and work on his biggest weakness.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The problem with Lee is that at this point in his career, he doesn't have the defensive acumen to line up against other teams' top lines. Grabovski was borught in to play an role, which likely means, Nielsen's line will continue to be used as the shutdown line. With the promise that Kulemin will get to play on Grabovski's LW, that leaves the available LW spots as 1st line, 4th line, or shutdown line.

Since Lee is likely to be better off, developmentally speaking, on the 1st line in the AHL than on the 4th line in NHL, he pretty much has to get the spot on Tavares' LW, or he's probably going back to Bridgeport. At least, until injuries hit.

That said, if he does get that spot, Nelson could take Nielsen's LW, which could still see Bailey centering the 4th line. I wouldn't have a problem with that, I've wondered multiple times if a switch back to center would be beneficial for Bailey.

Nelson-Tavares-Okposo
Lee-Grabovski-Strome
Grabner-Nielsen-Kulemin
Cizikas/Martin-Bailey-Clutterbuck

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Nelson-Tavares-Okposo
Lee-Grabovski-Strome
Grabner-Nielsen-Kulemin
Cizikas/Martin-Bailey-Clutterbuck

When two guys only sign with you under the promise that they'll get to play together, you should at least try to do so. And I don't think Kulemin's ever played RW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad