Joseph Woll/Ian Scott

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Their seasons last year have kind of taken them out of contention for awhile. I thought Woll showed signs of life when used last season, but overall was inconsistent. I had more hope for Scott going into the season, but he had year ending injury in camp. Now he has to come back from a missed year of hockey, behind several players in the organization and fight his way back up the depth chart.

They both came into last season as top-5/10 prospects in the system, deserved rankings. After last season it could go either way. Goalies have longer to develop in terms of waiver exemption and it's not unusual for them to take a long time to develop. If they're both healthy I still expect them to push for roster spots in the future. But, goalies are hard to predict.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
If they are any good, they will take a job away from one of those two.

Dell and Hutchinson aren't world beaters.

Having said that, there's a good possibility one or both (Dell or Hutch) get claimed on waivers.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Dell will likely be travelling with the Leafs.

Woll/Hutch will be the Marlies goalies.

Ian Scott will be with the Growlers.

Joseph Woll should flashes last season with the Marlies. Hopefully he finds that consistency this year.

Neither will replace Freddy next year, but hopefully after 2 more seasons Woll can challenge for the backup spot.

Oddly enough, I think Woll might have a similar career trajectory as Jack Campbell

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Obviously no presence with the big club as of yet. They are still young though. Our current tandem of Andersen and Campbell also didn't make their bigger impacts until in their mid 20s. Would be good to have a longer term option for going forward already in the fold. Not sure that is the case, but would rather not write anyone off just yet.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Goalies are voodoo.

I wouldn't put money on either of them being "the answer." They both hit roadblocks last year. But who knows?

Reactions: Menzinger

EC

Nov 10, 2016
One of the best ways to develop good goaltending is by having tons of depth ahead of them (goalies love the crease make 'em earn it)!

Andersen
Campbell
Dell
Hutchinson
Woll
Scott
Akhtyamov

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Just wondering. Does anyone STILL think one or both of these kids are our future between the pipes?
And if you do how far away are they?

I just feel like no one is as high as they were on them as before....

After last season why would anyone be high on these two? Woll had a brutal gaa and sv% and maybe should have been in the ECHL. As others have mentioned there was some bright spots but he was way behind even the marginal talents of Kaskisuo this year and well back of the rookie years of Bibeau, Sparks, Rynass and Gibson. So if he is way behind a bunch of guys who weren't legit NHL players it shows how far he has to improve to get some shine back. He wouldn't be the first guy to have a tanked year and turn it around but it is something you hope for rather than expect. Scott lost an entire season to hip surgery and even without an injury we know from Justin Pogge that being godlike in Junior doesn't mean you will be a successful pro. The injury seems like it was successfully rehabbed so today I am liking Scott a lot more than Woll but I won't start to get excited until he has some healthy starts.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
After last season why would anyone be high on these two? Woll had a brutal gaa and sv% and maybe should have been in the ECHL. As others have mentioned there was some bright spots but he was way behind even the marginal talents of Kaskisuo this year and well back of the rookie years of Bibeau, Sparks, Rynass and Gibson. So if he is way behind a bunch of guys who weren't legit NHL players it shows how far he has to improve to get some shine back. He wouldn't be the first guy to have a tanked year and turn it around but it is something you hope for rather than expect. Scott lost an entire season to hip surgery and even without an injury we know from Justin Pogge that being godlike in Junior doesn't mean you will be a successful pro. The injury seems like it was successfully rehabbed so today I am liking Scott a lot more than Woll but I won't start to get excited until he has some healthy starts.

I think the difference with Scott was that after he played a couple games with the Marlies he was kept around, and admitted he absorbed so much from their goalie coaches that had an impact on his game. The very next season he was a boss, and PA fans admit he was one of the main reasons Prince Albert did so well. IMO, that a very encouraging jump in development, from a sub .900 to a .938, so I’m excited to see how his next season unfolds.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Young players need opportunity to develop and improve so we will see how this unfolds and if either of these young goalies get that chance.

Goalies take longer than skaters before you see what you really have based on how that development goes.

Ideally the goal should have been to focus on this area in hopes that they someday could become starters or quality backups in the NHL. You shouldn't be constantly relying on trades and UFA signings to fill those roles as that is a sign your own drafting and developing is lagging.

When was the last time Leafs drafted and developed their own internal goalie prospect Felix Potvin in the 1990's?

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Their trajectories looked good two years ago. Scott was obviously injured last year, and Woll struggled a bit in his first AHL season.

I don't expect them to be NHL goalies this year, but we should hopefully see a solid AHL season out of at least one of them.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If neither is a top end goalie they’ll probably never be contenders with Matthews as the center piece.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
I feel like Woll has a chance to play at the NHL level, but hes still 2 to 3 years away realistically. He needs to put up a solid season this year in the A.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
By the time the AHL season starts it’ll be so long since Scotts played a game he probably forgets how to play goal. His long term injury followed by the Covid break might have ruined him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Goalies are voodoo.

I wouldn't put money on either of them being "the answer." They both hit roadblocks last year. But who knows?

I wouldn't necessarily say goalies are voodoo. My suspicion with the Leafs is the scouting department traditionally overvalues pure athleticism and leaves technical development to someone else and apparently the infrastructure hasn't been there. Just seems like we've gone through a few cycles of Gustavsson, Rynnas, Reimer, Sparks where they seem like street hockey goalies playing reflex goaltending.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
How difficult is it gonna be for Scott to come back from hip surgery and a year off?

Is hip surgery relatively routine for goalies with no lingering effects?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I wouldn't necessarily say goalies are voodoo. My suspicion with the Leafs is the scouting department traditionally overvalues pure athleticism and leaves technical development to someone else and apparently the infrastructure hasn't been there. Just seems like we've gone through a few cycles of Gustavsson, Rynnas, Reimer, Sparks where they seem like street hockey goalies playing reflex goaltending.
I would say Reimer had okay technical skills, he is a blocking goaltender. Think his issues wasn’t with his technical skills as much as it was his bad glove hand, being a butterfly goaltender whom goes down early and really not overly athletic and lacks size (in comparison to your new goaltending measuring stick).... I don’t remember Rynnas just recall he was “the bus”, I agree on Sparks and Gustavsson.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would say Reimer had okay technical skills, he is a blocking goaltender. Think his issues wasn’t with his technical skills as much as it was his bad glove hand, being a butterfly goaltender whom goes down early and really not overly athletic and lacks size (in comparison to your new goaltending measuring stick).... I don’t remember Rynnas just recall he was “the bus”, I agree on Sparks and Gustavsson.

Seem to recall during the play-in someone described Jarmo Kekkalainen's philosophy on goalies being 1) athleticism and frame 2) technique and 3) that extra compete level to make a second or third effort to make a save. I liked that break down just as a good frame of reference of what kind of ingredients you need for a great goalie.

For the Leafs it always feels like the goalies they bring into the system are missing some of those ingredients.

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
Feels like we need a killer goalie prospect in the system, was hoping for Askarov. Maybe we'll find someone cool in an upcoming draft.

Woll/Scott are lottery tickets.

Reactions: qqaz

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Woll lost his luster last season. Wasn't bad...was horrible. Needs a big bounce back.

I think Scott if healthy has a real chance to develop as a prospect. Nothing in his last year of jr would tell you otherwise.

Reactions: BigBlu

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Ian Scott has a loonnnnnnngggg way to go, I don't know how to feel about him anymore. Missing a full year of hockey is never a good thing in your prime developmental years. He hasn't played since May 2019 and it's likely going to be a February start in the AHL/ECHL this season. It will be nearly 2 years since he last played by then.

Woll was horrible last season at the AHL level. Bad marlies team or not, a 3.75 GAA and an .880 save % is absolutely dreadful no matter how you try to spin it.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Yeah I'm with @Mess on this one. It pisses me off we never want to drop a 2nd round pick and get a quality goalie prospect. It feels like we don't take the position seriously at all. Both Washington and Philly have goalies that you could have traded up for if you gave a crap. What goalie could Bracco have been?

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah I'm with @Mess on this one. It pisses me off we never want to drop a 2nd round pick and get a quality goalie prospect. It feels like we don't take the position seriously at all. Both Washington and Philly have goalies that you could have traded up for if you gave a crap. What goalie could Bracco have been?

Vladar, Hill, or Montembault. None of them are really better than Woll/Scott, although Hill has worked out pretty well thus far. None would be 2nd round picks in my books.

We could have had Hart instead of Korshkov, but the three guys after them are all worse than Woll right now (Parsons, Gustavsson, Fitzpatrick). Woll is the 2nd best goalie prospect from that draft by far after Hart, and that is not saying much.

Luukkonen or Dipietro over Rasanen, although they too are not exactly lighting things up all that much right now either. Swayman was taken right after Scott, but outside of his injury, Scott is one of the more promising guys right now.

Rodrigue or Annunen over Durzi, but neither goalie is really 2nd round quality IMO.

I think the 3rd round or right at the end of the 2nd round is a good spot for taking a higher-end goalie, unless you are getting someone premium like Wallstadt and depending on the draft of course. The past few years, there have been one guy usually I would take higher than that (Askarov, Knight, Oettenger, Samsonov, Hart), but the rest would be in that 60's range at best. That is where we got Woll, and then we used a couple of 100's picks on Scott and Akhtyamov. I would not have taken any goalies with a pick earlier than the one we used to get Akhtyamov in 2020, since Hirvonen and Niemela were much better than any goalies available at those picks, and then there was not really anything great left at 106 other than Bednar.

Fortunately, we could possibly get a good goalie in 2021.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00