Signing(s): Jose Abreu signs with the Astros (3 years, $60 million)

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Signing him for ages 36, 37 and 38 seems risky for sure.

With that said, the Astros upgrade at 1B and they are already stacked elsewhere.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Rich get richer. Slashed .304/.378/.446 last season to the tune of an OPS above 800.

Gives the Astros another good bat to add to their already ridiculous lineup

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Signing him for ages 36, 37 and 38 seems risky for sure.

With that said, the Astros upgrade at 1B and they are already stacked elsewhere.
It is risky. Gurriel went from AL batting champ to not so great and I'm assuming his age had something to do with it. Hopefully Abreu is at least solid for the 1st 2 years. And if he's on the decline, hopefully he's at least getting hits(singles, kindof like Brantley, no power but still getting hits) in his final year. Of maybe he pulls a Gurriel. Poor regular season with some hot streaks at random times and waking up for the playoffs. I guess, if you get 1 WS in the 3 years, it'll be worth it.

Speaking of Gurriel. Will it be the end for him in Houston? They want him back as a utility IF. Will a team sign him as a starter?

Reactions: SwordsgoneWild

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
The third year at $ 20m in particular seems expensive to me as well. But the fit is tantalizing: Houston did not have a good 1B and still was the best team in baseball. Now they have a really good 1B (and gave up only money).

Gruß,
BSHH

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
I like . Now re sign Uncle Mike.

Crane doing some GM'ing. So far so good but please find someone competant whenever you do decide to fill that spot.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Astros can afford it with all the profit they turned when they purposely tanked for 3-4 years with a payroll below 20 million.

White Sox were smart not to match. Abreu is a Cuban 36 year old, which is more like 40-41 everywhere else.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Well sucks to see him go

But with Vaughn here it was time to move on

Wish he went somewhere other than Houston because I hate the cheating bastards but he should be on contender these final years of his career, so I understand why he went there

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
**vomits in mouth**

Yea he's old but he's Abreu, the guy doesn't slow down.. He's gonna do well hitting with those Crawford boxes in left.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Probably just natural decline of being in 40's

He is from Cuba and we all know when a player is from PR, DR or Cuba he probably is 2-4 years older than what is claimed.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

He is from Cuba and we all know when a player is from PR, DR or Cuba he probably is 2-4 years older than what is claimed.
That's largely a myth these days, and wouldn't even be a necessary explanation. Abreu has old player skills and he's in his late 30's. Players with that skill set often just collapse around that age, because once one little thing slips, they lose the narrow margin to keep them from being useless.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California

Never heard of PR doing this considering they’re a US territory and their players are actually drafted, not signed as international free agents at 16 or 17 like DR and Venezuelan players.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The Astros owner was basically the defacto GM when they made this signing...and it looks like their worst mistake in like a decade. And the Rafael Montero re-signing looks really bad too.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It isn't the 1990s anymore in terms of being able to smack 40 dingers on roids until you're 40.

It's really, really hard to stay on top of the massive velocity of today's pitchers past your mid-30s and almost nobody except Nelson Cruz has managed to be a a quality hitter past age 35 in recent years. Looks like Paul Goldschmidt might manage the same.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
He had a .784 OPS last season from June 8th onward after an AWFUL start, I doubt they cut bait with so much $ left.

One thing is clear though, between this contract and the disaster that Hader is so far, the Astros front office is not the same force that it was when Jeff Luhnow was the boss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad