Signing(s): Jose Abreu accepts QO, re-negotiates it into a 3 year/50 M deal

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah, he accepted for the next deal, not this one. This keeps things smooth between both parties and will likely lead to better negotiations.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Even without draft pick/bonus pool compensation, I don't see Abreu being that valuable. A DH/1B who doesn't walk.....look at Mike Moustakas last off-season, he signed 1 year deal significanlty less than QO and can at least play (a bad) 3b and 2b and hit the ball hard like Abreu.

Odorizzi is surprising, he probably got boned by the Draft-pick/Bonus-Pool money compensation thing. That rule hurts free agents more than it helps the teams the player used to be on. If he has a down year this year, he could be screwed. It's not even crazy to suggest that 2nd/3rd tier free agents should demand trades at the deadline just to liberate themselves from the compensatory picks being attached to them like a ball and chain.

Reactions: LeBlondeDemon10

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
That's been the consensus with him for a bit now. He's the one I expected would take it if anyone did. Odorizzi was a total shock.
The thinking is he'll end up with more money overall without the draft pick attached next year. Ballsy move. I like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad