Proposal: Jordin Tootoo

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
If he would be our 11/12/13th forward or so i would do it maybe, but there just isn't any room and need for him and we already have an overpaid line of grinders/tough guys

Gotcha, thanks for the responses everyone.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I'd take Tootoo over Clune. While both are energy guys and limited otherwise, players look over their shoulders when Tootoo is on the ice. There is an intimidation factor that Clune doesn't have and while Clune had more fights how many did he win, not many so he doesn't bring intimidation and can't win fights. Sounds like a valuable grinder type to me. And don't get me wrong, I like Clune but if I had the choice between the two I'd take Tootoo.

On another note, we let Tootoo go and honestly I thought we were soft last year so low and behold we go out and sign Hendricks and Nystrom to ridiculous contracts to fill some of the role that Tootoo brought to the team. So here's my thing, people will complain about Tootoo being too expensive but then are able to justify the singings of Hendricks and Nystrom. Laughable if you ask me. And yes, while Tootoo's contract is overpayment in Detroit, we have our own set of overpayments as well.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I have to agree. It isn't that the deal is bad or anything. Giving up a 7th rounder for a 4th liner and a pick is fine. The trouble is twofold. We don't need Tootoo, and we especially don't need to take on his cap hit. The money we have left goes to Forsberg, Hutton and then to provide a cushion for moves during the season.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I'd take Tootoo's first 3-4 seasons over Clune. But right now i'd rather have Clune.

Not to mention that Tootoo pitched a fit in the media after being scratched in the playoffs, calling out Trotz. So I don't see how the Preds have any interest in bringing him back even if they had the roster space and the need.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I'd take Tootoo's first 3-4 seasons over Clune. But right now i'd rather have Clune.

Not to mention that Tootoo pitched a fit in the media after being scratched in the playoffs, calling out Trotz. So I don't see how the Preds have any interest in bringing him back even if they had the roster space and the need.

Let me ask you a question, if you had busted your tail all year to get your team in to the playoffs and then your GM goes out and acquires guys, some of whom were out after curfew, and the coach has played those guys, wouldn't you be a bit ticked off you sat in the playoffs? I know I'd be ticked off. Would you rather a guy not say anything and be complacent about it or have some passion and be like, I deserved to be out there? Was it the best move he made, taking it to the media, probably not but a guy who had alcohol issues in the past, cleaning himself up and then being sat for guys who were out drinking might touch a nerve. Just saying.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Let me ask you a question, if you had busted your tail all year to get your team in to the playoffs and then your GM goes out and acquires guys, some of whom were out after curfew, and the coach has played those guys, wouldn't you be a bit ticked off you sat in the playoffs? I know I'd be ticked off. Would you rather a guy not say anything and be complacent about it or have some passion and be like, I deserved to be out there? Was it the best move he made, taking it to the media, probably not but a guy who had alcohol issues in the past, cleaning himself up and then being sat for guys who were out drinking might touch a nerve. Just saying.

Tootoo got to play thanks to the Radulov and Kostitsyn suspensions. They messed up in Phoenix and Toots got two games in that series as a result.

He played one game in the first round of the 2012 playoffs getting 6:04 of ice time. Eerily similar to what he got as a Wing in the post season ... one first round game 6:24 TOI in 2013.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Tootoo got to play thanks to the Radulov and Kostitsyn suspensions. They messed up in Phoenix and Toots got two games in that series as a result.

He played one game in the first round of the 2012 playoffs getting 6:04 of ice time. Eerily similar to what he got as a Wing in the post season ... one first round game 6:24 TOI in 2013.

And while that's great, he still got sat in the first series because of those guys coming in. They are better players and deserved to be there but imagine you're the normal guy firing artillery guy and all of a sudden, someone else gets to come in and make the kill on Bin Laden for example and they get all the credit after you've done all the work, wouldn't you be a little upset? :sarcasm:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
They are better players and deserved to be there

Sums it up. Benched by the Wings in the 2013 post season. Benched by Trotz in the 2012 post season. Looking back to 2010, played in every post season game but never cracked 10 mins TOI ... under 4 mins in the OT loss at Chicago. The exception in his career was 2011 ... the year we got playoff goalscoring from Smithson.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
And while that's great, he still got sat in the first series because of those guys coming in. They are better players and deserved to be there but imagine you're the normal guy firing artillery guy and all of a sudden, someone else gets to come in and make the kill on Bin Laden for example and they get all the credit after you've done all the work, wouldn't you be a little upset? :sarcasm:

Yeah but those guys who went in for the kill were trained for years to do those kinds of things, and they gave us the best chance to win :P

It's hard to argue against sitting Tootoo for AK/Radulov in the first round. We went through Detroit much easier than I thought we would.

When we got to Phoenix it's a different story, but it isn't like Tootoo would have made the difference had he played despite the suspensions. I think the Coyotes' defense and Smith could have handled his patented Grab The Puck Along The Boards Behind The Net And Make A Blind Centering Pass move.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
And while this has turned into a talent discussion all I asked is if anyone of us was Tootoo and had busted our butts all year long to be sat in the playoffs would we have been happy about it. That's all.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Being happy about it and being professional about it are two different things.

I would imagine no one who plays at a high enough level to find themselves as an established NHL player would be happy about being benched even for a regular season game, let alone a playoff game.

That doesn't mean they get a free pass to run to the media to whine about it without being subjected to scrutiny. If you want to make public your grievances you should expect all sorts of reactions.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Being happy about it and being professional about it are two different things.

I would imagine no one who plays at a high enough level to find themselves as an established NHL player would be happy about being benched even for a regular season game, let alone a playoff game.

That doesn't mean they get a free pass to run to the media to whine about it without being subjected to scrutiny. If you want to make public your grievances you should expect all sorts of reactions.

Being a professional includes knowing that individual feelings mean next to nothing in the organizational decision making process. Decisions are based around winning in hockey, not making player X happy.

If Tootoo wants ice time in the playoffs he needs to be a better option than other players. For the past few seasons, he hasn't been the better option. He can get upset and cry, or he can bust his butt and address the deficiencies that have him sitting.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I have enjoyed the Detroit fans evolution on Tootoo..

with Nashville: Dirty little punk! Classless! Doesn't belong in the NHL!

signs with DRW as a UFA: Gritty player! The toughness we were needing!

One year later: Um, you want him back?? We will throw in a pick...

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Yet he was good enough to be on the ice for the team during the regular season? That team two years ago was pretty good before we brought in AK, Goose and brought back Rads. He was a part of that, as were other guys that got sat. He could've handled it better, I already said that, but at the same time, people discount his value to the team as there was a group of guys that played the majority of the season and got us to where we were.

Pattypred

Aug 6, 2003
Nashville, TN
It is my understanding that his parents hated Trotz and felt Tootoo was not used correctly.

It is also my understanding that Tootoo wanted out of Nashville.

My source: a relative of Tootoo

Take it with a grain of salt if you want but I also understand that Tootoo turned down an offer from the Preds.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
It is my understanding that his parents hated Trotz and felt Tootoo was not used correctly.

It is also my understanding that Tootoo wanted out of Nashville.

My source: a relative of Tootoo

Take it with a grain of salt if you want but I also understand that Tootoo turned down an offer from the Preds.

Thanks Patty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad