Proposal: Jordin Tootoo

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Nashville have any interest in getting Tootoo back? Wings need to move players and salary to get cap compliant. Preds have 4.6+M in cap space. Tootoo has two years left at 1.9M per.

Proposal:

Nashville gets: Jordin Tootoo, 2014 4th round pick

Detroit gets: 2014 7th round pick

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Nashville have any interest in getting Tootoo back? Wings need to move players and salary to get cap compliant. Preds have 4.6+M in cap space. Tootoo has two years left at 1.9M per.

Proposal:

Nashville gets: Jordin Tootoo, 2014 4th round pick

Detroit gets: 2014 7th round pick

Nope, we do not have room, we already have too many forwards.

Plus that 4.6+ is not counting Forsberg and a backup Goalie

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Nope, we do not have room, we already have too many forwards.

Plus that 4.6+ is not counting Forsberg and a backup Goalie

You think Forsberg really gonna make the team? He's 19 years old and hasn't played much of the North American style. He'll probably get 9 games max and be sent down to AHL wont he? And are Beck and Clune really gonna make the team? Tootoo better than both isn't he? Plus he's a fan favorite...or was. Hellberg only 925k cap hit. Could still work.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I guess Beck looks like he has some nice upside...but Clune is garbage.

Webersmashpuck

Mar 17, 2009
Spring Hill
I guess Beck looks like he has some nice upside...but Clune is garbage.

Based on last year Clune > Tootoo. Clune is a more complete hockey player.

Really if we had the space Id take the trade in a heart beat, but Tootoo would be the 15th forward and it would not be feasible.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Based on last year Clune > Tootoo. Clune is a more complete hockey player.

Really if we had the space Id take the trade in a heart beat, but Tootoo would be the 15th forward and it would not be feasible.

How you figure Clune is better? Clune had 9 points in 47 games. Tootoo had 8 in 42 games. Pretty even IMO. Both 4th line grinders but Tootoo has a little more offensive upside based on stats.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
No! And Forsberg either plays here or goes back to Sweden, he is too young for the AHL.

How is he too young for AHL? Is there an agreement with the Swedish leagues similar to the one the CHL has where players have to make the NHL team or go back to their CHL if they are under 20? Tomas Tatar played in the AHL as an 18 year old.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Forsberg is going to play. We made that trade for him in order to get young talent that was pretty much NHL ready. He's not small and he's certainly not far away from being a fulltime NHLer. I'd say this season is the beginning to his campaign. He looked good at the training camp day I saw.

Secondly, I will take Clune over Tootoo every single day of the week. If you actually watch NSH you can see Clune gets in every play he possibly can, never takes off, and hustles crazily. From watching Tootoo for years he was pretty much only good at fighting and hitting until he went through a sober period where he tried to play offensively. Clune is still developing the other parts of his game along with the agitation and fighting part and he looks good doing it. Looked good in camp too.

Third, Beck should play but I don't know if we have the space...IMO Forsberg gets playing time over Beck if it comes down to it. We made the move for FF9 in hopes he could potentially be the forward face of the franchise down the road.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
ok timeout. Forsberg is going to play. We made that trade for him in order to get young talent that was pretty much NHL ready. He's not small and he's certainly not far away from being a fulltime NHLer. I'd say this season is the beginning to his campaign. He looked good at the training camp day I saw.

Secondly, I will take Clune over Tootoo every single day of the week. Tootoo is dead to me and I do not want to see him back in NSH. Sorry.

Third, Beck should play but I don't know if we have the space...IMO Forsberg gets playing time over Beck if it comes down to it. We made the move for FF9 in hopes he could potentially be the forward face of the franchise down the road.

I like Forsberg's potential but he's so young and has very limited experience with the NA style. I don't think the Preds will rush him. Seth Jones making the team so young is different because he is accustomed to the NA style and really is a prodigy. Forsberg is good but he ain't no prodigy. I know you guys know more about your team than me but that's just my take on it.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I really don't see a scenario where Forsberg does not make opening night roster and stick. remember, he was rated the 3rd best forward going into his draft, he only fell to the Caps at 11 b/c an onslaught of defenseman were taken after yakupov at 1 and galchenyuk at 3.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
It is easy to figure that Clune is better by simply watching him and Tootoo play hockey.

How is Clune better? They are basically the same player. Is he more physical? I doubt it. Is he better offensively? The stats say otherwise. Is he better defensively? That could be true, Tootoo is average at best defensively.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I really don't see a scenario where Forsberg does not make opening night roster and stick. remember, he was rated the 3rd best forward going into his draft, he only fell to the Caps at 11 b/c an onslaught of defenseman were taken after yakupov at 1 and galchenyuk at 3.

Draft rankings are not a good basis for determining if a guy is going to make the NHL team or not. If he was that good somebody would have taken him earlier or somebody would have moved up for him. There are hundreds of players who had great draft rankings and never amounted to much in the NHL. Not saying that will be the case with Forsberg but I will be shocked if he sticks with the Preds all year. Will be fun to watch. Thanks for your responses everyone.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
How is Clune better? They are basically the same player. Is he more physical? I doubt it. Is he better offensively? The stats say otherwise. Is he better defensively? That could be true, Tootoo is average at best defensively.

Similar, and just as ridiculous, trade for Tootoo proposals popped up a couple of weeks ago.

Let's compare offensive stats. Tootoo had fewer goals and a worse +/- while playing on a Red Wings team that was better than the Preds last year. Let's recap, worse stats while on a better team. (We won't let a little detail such as it was Clune's first full NHL season get in the way here). Defensively, Clune is better. Clune doesn't throw huge checks into the empty boards leading to an uncovered man (i.e. smarter play). Really, the only area where Tootoo was better is in the area of fisticuffs.

Tootoo was overpaid on his last Predators contract, even moreso now. He would be somewhere in the realm of the 15th to 18th forward on the depth chart with only waiver exposure to potentially put him on the club ahead of much more talented players.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Similar, and just as ridiculous, trade for Tootoo proposals popped up a couple of weeks ago.

Let's compare offensive stats. Tootoo had fewer goals and a worse +/- while playing on a Red Wings team that was better than the Preds last year. Let's recap, worse stats while on a better team. (We won't let a little detail such as it was Clune's first full NHL season get in the way here). Defensively, Clune is better. Clune doesn't throw huge checks into the empty boards leading to an uncovered man (i.e. smarter play). Really, the only area where Tootoo was better is in the area of fisticuffs.

Tootoo was overpaid on his last Predators contract, even moreso now. He would be somewhere in the realm of the 15th to 18th forward on the depth chart with only waiver exposure to potentially put him on the club ahead of much more talented players.

Yes but Clune played in 5 more games...so the slight differences in stats might have evened out if Tootoo played as many games or Clune played slightly less games. Clune also had 113 PIM to Tootoo's 78 PIM. So it would seem Clune was a bigger detriment to his team. Not sure how many fights Clune was in but at least half of Tootoo's PIM's were from fights, and thus didn't hurt the team by putting them on the PK.

I won't argue that Tootoo is overpaid, which is why I was throwing in the 4th round pick for the Preds taking on some salary.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Clune had 1.5x the number of fighting majors as Tootoo last season.

It is just as easy to assume that Tootoo would not have scored in the five fewer games that he played as it is to assume he may have scored in them. Simple fact is, he didn't put up the numbers while playing on a better team.

Best case your trade brings in a redundant player at over 3x the cap hit of Clune.

Next up ... why not bring back Fitzgerald, Johnson, and Turcotte to wear the letters again? It makes just as much sense as bringing back Tootoo.

MKMM

Jun 15, 2012
Yes but Clune played in 5 more games...so the slight differences in stats might have evened out if Tootoo played as many games or Clune played slightly less games. Clune also had 113 PIM to Tootoo's 78 PIM. So it would seem Clune was a bigger detriment to his team. Not sure how many fights Clune was in but at least half of Tootoo's PIM's were from fights, and thus didn't hurt the team by putting them on the PK.

I won't argue that Tootoo is overpaid, which is why I was throwing in the 4th round pick for the Preds taking on some salary.

According to Hockeyfights Clune had 12 NHL fights last season while Tootoo had 8.
Clune was also the player with the most or second most hits from the Western Conference and was also solid defensevly.
He is also 4years younger and it was his first NHL season, so i'm pretty sure that he will be a better player in the future and IMO he already is the better player.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Clune had 1.5x the number of fighting majors as Tootoo last season.

It is just as easy to assume that Tootoo would not have scored in the five fewer games that he played as it is to assume he may have scored in them. Simple fact is, he didn't put up the numbers while playing on a better team.

Best case your trade brings in a redundant player at over 3x the cap hit of Clune.

Next up ... why not bring back Fitzgerald, Johnson, and Turcotte to wear the letters again? It makes just as much sense as bringing back Tootoo.

Well I didn't think you guys would jump for joy over this proposal. The whole point of it was you take on some salary and we give you a decent draft pick in return for your troubles.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Well I didn't think you guys would jump for joy over this proposal. The whole point of it was you take on some salary and we give you a decent draft pick in return for your troubles.

Actually, taking on salary and bringing back Tootoo makes less sense than signing the forgotten tryout invitees from the 1998 rookie camp:

#31 Kevin St. Pierre
#70 Bujar Amidovski
#53 Marc-Andre Gaudet
#59 Andre Lakos
#62 Brian Stewart
#63 Kevin Mota
#65 Luch Nasato
#48 Tom Nolan
#49 Gerry King
#52 Jamie Lalonde
#55 Michael Mazzuca
#56 Brad Mehalko
#58 Bobby Russell
#60 Marty Clapton

MKMM

Jun 15, 2012
If he would be our 11/12/13th forward or so i would do it maybe, but there just isn't any room and need for him and we already have an overpaid line of grinders/tough guys

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Actually, taking on salary and bringing back Tootoo makes less sense than signing the forgotten tryout invitees from the 1998 rookie camp:

#31 Kevin St. Pierre
#70 Bujar Amidovski
#53 Marc-Andre Gaudet
#59 Andre Lakos
#62 Brian Stewart
#63 Kevin Mota
#65 Luch Nasato
#48 Tom Nolan
#49 Gerry King
#52 Jamie Lalonde
#55 Michael Mazzuca
#56 Brad Mehalko
#58 Bobby Russell
#60 Marty Clapton

You lost me brother....but I get it, you're not interested. I'll move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad