Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Dubas can’t buy a roster spot. :)

i‘m glad he cleared. I can see him helping as the game
get rougher

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not necessarily. Joey Anderson was waived and cleared waivers this week and was never sent to the AHL
They are still on the 23 man NHL roster and counting against the cap?

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
They are still on the 23 man roster and counting against the cap?
Anderson is. I haven’t looked to see if Benn still is. Don’t know if it would be updated yet.
Waivers are separate from demotions to the AHL, a player can be waiver without it.
It doesn’t happen very often cause there isn’t a lot of reason for it but it does happen sometimes.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Anderson is. I haven’t looked to see if Benn still is. Don’t know if it would be updated yet.
Waivers are separate from demotions to the AHL, a player can be waiver without it.
It doesn’t happen very often cause there isn’t a lot of reason for it but it does happen sometimes.
What is the purpose of waiving if not to remove them from the cap/roster?

( I realize they don’t have to physically go to the Marlies. )

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
They are still on the 23 man NHL roster and counting against the cap?

Yes. Until they are loaned to the AHL they are part of the roster.

The purpose of waiving the players ahead of time is to have the flexibility of doing it since they can go up and down for a certain amount of time without clearing again. I think it's 30 days and/or 10 games or something, not 100% sure but it's awhile. So now the Leafs can send down Anderson and Benn if they make a big trade that requires them to go down.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yes. Until they are loaned to the AHL they are part of the roster.

The purpose of waiving the players ahead of time is to have the flexibility of doing it since they can go up and down for a certain amount of time without clearing again. I think it's 30 days and/or 10 games or something, not 100% sure but it's awhile. So now the Leafs can send down Anderson and Benn if they make a big trade that requires them to go down.
Exactly this. No need to waive anyone to be able to make a trade now.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
What is the purpose of waiving if not to remove them from the cap/roster?

( I realize they don’t have to physically go to the Marlies. )
Trying to clear a contract space or maybe waiving them now because they think there is a better chance they pass through waivers now then after tanking teams have sold and they need warm bodies.
Or even just trade value. They obviously didn’t have any before or they would have been claimed but now that they are exempt from waivers someone could see them as a depth option.

In the end I don’t know exactly why they were waived. There are multiple possibilities but at this point neither player has been assigned to the AHL.

Reactions: ACC1224

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Kind of surprising he cleared, he's the kind of player teams give up a low round pick for at the deadline

Reactions: banks

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Kind of surprising he cleared, he's the kind of player teams give up a low round pick for at the deadline
Although you'd hope we don't need to use him in the playoffs, it is still reassuring that we will have him available as our #8 dman.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg

Capfriendly has Benn assigned to the Marlies Anderson still with the Leafs fwiw.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Capfriendly has Benn assigned to the Marlies Anderson still with the Leafs fwiw.
Yup it appears so. He was still with the Leafs when I looked earlier but it probably wasn’t updated yet. Thanks for the clarification.

My main point wasn’t that he wouldn’t be sent down just that getting waived didn’t automatically mean he would be.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Yup it appears so. He was still with the Leafs when I looked earlier but it probably wasn’t updated yet. Thanks for the clarification.

My main point wasn’t that he wouldn’t be sent down just that getting waived didn’t automatically mean he would be.
Maybe he's actually going to play some games with the Marlies to stay in shape.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
I'm a bit surprised that Benn and Anderson made it through waivers. Teams love grabbing Leafs on the wire.

I honestly expect that the Leafs will still add a few similar players at the deadline in relatively minor moves. You can never have enough depth. I'd bet we snag a goalie and a defender that are waiver quality that we can stash in the AHL before the playoffs.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I wonder if the NHL sent a memo to teams to stop goofing around and claiming our guys regardless if they are good. There was no reason that Arizona would've wanted Sateri or why the Sharks would claim Dzingle.

Glad to hang onto Benn

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'm a bit surprised that Benn and Anderson made it through waivers. Teams love grabbing Leafs on the wire.

I honestly expect that the Leafs will still add a few similar players at the deadline in relatively minor moves. You can never have enough depth. I'd bet we snag a goalie and a defender that are waiver quality that we can stash in the AHL before the playoffs.
And it will be prospects heading out the door, as the Leafs are sitting at 49 contracts, and need to make (plus keep) contract room for Knies and any other College UFA that they might be interested in.

There will be moves of some sort, whether housekeeping or impact is TBD because of how Tampa just threw the whole trade market valuations out the window with their own Jeff Finger type acquisition.

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad