Confirmed with Link: Jordie Benn for a 6th

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I guess my hope is that he never sees the ice for the Jets. Given that the Canucks have a COVID outbreak on their hands I'm very hesitant to even introduce him to our dressing room. Cost was low but probably would have preferred nothing instead of the COVID risk of bringing in a new player.

JMo - Heinola
Forbort - Pionk
Stanley - DeMelo
Benn - Poolman
Niku

Then when Heinola handles top pair, RD as a rookie we write songs about him.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The Jets needed a d-man to replace Beaulieu's role. People can insert their punch lines here. He's had some playoff experience. Has a good shot, which, as we remember Joe Morrow, can pay dividends. PK depth, probably doesn't knock Stanley out of the lineup, which is good, give the big man a taste of the limelight.

Cost next to nothing. We kept our 5th, which is apparently the magic pick.

Moves Niku out of the top 7, and still leaves a window, however unlikely for Heinola and Samberg.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Didn't get better, didn't lower risk from injury. It will be a clencher for the rest of the season.

Reactions: TheHead

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
NBCA_2012_13_1_87_148.jpg

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I mean, this.... erm, trade, brings up an interesting point for me: what do you do when a player you've loathed for years across various teams suddenly appears on your team as a TDL acquisition? Do you cheer him on? Loathe him slightly less? Pretend he doesn't exist?

Ya know PoMo is gonna play the hell outta him on the PK and wherever, and either Stanley or Poolers is gonna see less ice. This is what depth-depth looks like I guess. We coulda spent a few hundred bucks on a 6' 4" weighted pylon and glued a beard onto it. Ugh.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I though Jordie Benn was absolutely awful in the games against the Jets.

IF he forces Poolman out and demelo up with Morrissey I might be able to stomach it

If the 1st round matchup is Edmonton, rather have the better skater out there.

Toronto made the splash, and it's their division to win, with the major Canadian networks behind them. I'm hoping Montreal knocks them out.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Good:
* Benn has some utility on the PK
* Benn has been decent on 5v5 2+ years ago
* Benn can play both LS and RS, with some believing he's better on the RS
* 6th round picks are very low cost
* More depth isn't really much but it's not nothing either

Bad:
* Jets aren't really better in any noticable capacity
* May decrease the chance of actual help from Heinola and Samberg getting a shot
* Max Giese probably makes good value of a 6th round pick
* Benn has been really bad defensively at 5v5 for past 2 years

Fun aside story:
Jordie was a coveted player when my dad was involved for a Junior B team. Two other teams plus the team my dad was involved with wanted Jordie. Nobody at the time wanted Jamie. Panthers won by saying they'd take Jamie if they could sign Jordie.
Jamie then became really, really good. Moved up to the BCHL. Rest is history.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Well, maybe he'll be the Lewis or Thompson of our d-corps. Is he better than Forbort or Demelo?
At least it didn't cost us anything. I hardly think this will put us over the top, but I would have hated to overpay for someone who wouldn't make a lick of difference how we do in the playoffs (remember Kevin Hayes).

I see Toronto going all in, but unless they win the Stanley Cup it's going to sting. One top pairing defenseman isn't all that's keeping the Jets away from the Stanley Cup. If we're going to win, we'll win with the group we already have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad