Player Discussion Jordan Weal: To Russia With Love... (Weal To Sign in KHL)

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
[MOD]
Habs aren't contenders. Next year would be the year to buy if our youth keeps improving from this year. I'd rather keep my picks/prospects.

And his contract is until this summer, who cares.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I recall Weal being a once fairly promising young player for the Kings.

I'm happy with that trade. We knew what we had in Chaput, which isn't much. Let's roll the dice with someone else.

Reactions: Vachon23

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Weal is an NHL player though. So really, they gave up someone from Laval for someone who will play in Montreal.

Weal won't come here and tear the house down. But he is an NHL'er.
Yeah, I looked into that after posting. There may not be a whole lot of upside to this move, but I don't think there's any downside either.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Paul Byron part 2. I hope.

Would be great if so. It didn't really cost anything to get him and he's a UFA next year so if he plays the final 20 games and fits in well on the 4th he's an option to bring back next year depending on price and play to finish this season. MB has tried many other 4th line options this year that were meh so now it's Weal's turn.

Reactions: Runner77

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Yeah, I looked into that after posting. There may not be a whole lot of upside to this move, but I don't think there's any downside either.

Exactly. We're more than used to these trades. But it's an AHL guy for an NHL guy, even if he's depth.

It was the same as moving Taormina/Valiev for Kulak. Two AHL guys for a guy who can play in the NHL.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Exactly. We're more than used to these trades. But it's an AHL guy for an NHL guy, even if he's depth.

It was the same as moving Taormina/Valiev for Kulak. Two AHL guys for a guy who can play in the NHL.
This was about ARI shedding salary if anything IMO.

There's no question that Weal is the better player of the two. But I don't think he is going to fit into this team long term. I'm actually willing to bet that he does not.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Weal see how it turns out.
Chaput où il va jouer, 4th line in MTL or 1st line in Laval.

More seriously, this is a good trade. I like it.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Loved Wheels when he was with the Pats. He is an upgrade on Chaput so I'm good with it. Depth

Reactions: sheed36

LastRide

Feb 18, 2008
No risk trade. Losing Chaput is no big deal if it doesn't work out. That said, MB is back to making trades that don't do anything.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Why do we continue to make horizontal moves?

This trade gives us an upgrade over Chaput and also allows another depth forward so we don't have to use Deslauriers as much (or hopefully, at all). It is a minor trade but it helps improve the 4th line as opposed to having guys like Deslauriers/Chaput who gave us 2 goals combined in 77 games.

Reactions: sharknado

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Good chance you're right.

tvue5Gq.gif

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
I think people pass up on the biggest part of this trade.

Chaput's contract ran through next season. Weal's doesn't.

Montreal saves a contract spot next year to sign an additional guy.

Weal and Chaput are both 14th forwards really, so that's a wash on that side of things.

Therefore, win Montreal.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I wonder if he’ll play RW on the 4th line and just switch with Thompson based on faceoff side.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Mtl has no righty faceoff guys...

FO % goes up when you line up on your strong side..

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Why?

Oh yeah it cost nothing. It also does nothing. Typical MB move. Can't we just use our own guys please instead of changing the whole team every year for no reason?

People who say this trade helps are delusional imo.

Reactions: Chr1s97

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I think people pass up on the biggest part of this trade.

Chaput's contract ran through next season. Weal's doesn't.

Montreal saves a contract spot next year to sign an additional guy.

Weal and Chaput are both 14th forwards really, so that's a wash on that side of things.

Therefore, win Montreal.
No, this much was very clear IMO.

I've only commented on the benefits of the trade for ARI so far, but, of course, MTL got out of it exactly what you mentioned.

This was a contract spot for cash trade without any significant benefit for either team outside of that.

Reactions: xNogaitx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad