Player Discussion Jordan Weal: To Russia With Love... (Weal To Sign in KHL)

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Nobody if the likes of Panarin don't want to sign here. We don't need Jordan Weal at all.

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Domi-Shaw
Lehkonen-Kotk-Armia
Hudon-Thompson-Deslaurier

Hudon and Deslauriers ???? Hudon proved he can't play on the 4th line and Deslauriers is ok for 13th forward not a regular

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Let's revisit this in 10 years to see who's right. If we win anything with Weal playing a significant role i'll admit i was wrong. Will you admit you were wrong if MB fails and is fired while signing guys like Weal? I bet you wont. Next.
I see you like building strawmen. I never placed Weal in a significant role. I replaced Hudon and/or Deslaurier with Weal which improves the team.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
If the Habs traded Weal and he had 8 points in 13 games people would be touting the post trade bump a la DSP or Andrighetto. Since the Habs acquired him he is the next Paul Byron.

Reactions: Belial and Andy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Also back in summer 2017, we were interested in signing Weal but he re-signed in Philly instead. I'm almost sure we sign him.

I think we want to sign him but Weal also wants to get as much as he can get. So if he ask for too much, he goes to UFA. We do lack right handed shot centers and Bergevin will be looking to bring him back.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
$2M AAV for 2 years. He gets a shot to prove himself as a top 9 talent and if he does, his next contract is negotiated at the age of 29. Not a bad fit for him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's gone. I don't think we qualify him.

Agreed. That's why I said I'd be interested in a AHL contract. No team in this league is giving him a AHL/NHL contract taking up a spot in the 50 contracts.

He can help our Laval team IMO if he is willing to still play hockey in NA.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
"Evolving Wild has come up with contract predictions, and they peg Weal’s most likely contract at three years and $2.18 million per year. While that may seem like a lot, some of the comparables for that kind of cap hit are Shawn Matthias, Dale Weise, Riley Sheahan, Daniel Winnik, and Patrick Maroon. Weal fits in quite nicely in that group."

Jordan Weal is the latest diamond in the rough acquired by Marc Bergevin

For comparables:

Nate Thompson : prediction was 2 years (1,223,404 per ) and re-signed for 1 year (1,000,000)

Christian Folin : prediction was 2 years (1,052,137 per ) and re-signed for 1 year (800,000)

So I guess 2-3 years at 2M could be it.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
$2M AAV for 2 years. He gets a shot to prove himself as a top 9 talent and if he does, his next contract is negotiated at the age of 29. Not a bad fit for him.

2M$ per? Too much. Give him a 1-year contract at 1.3M$ and then if he does really well, he will have 2.75$ per for 3 years. But in no way what he did at the end of the season is already worth 2M$"

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'd rather weal than any of those guys you have on the 4th
But Weal is not a 4th liner in CJ's head. That ship has sailed too. Also Weal will ask for as much as he did last season or close to it which was 1.7. At this salary he is not a 4th liner either.Weal if signed will play in the top 9. He wont replace Hudon he'll replace Lehkonen, Kotk or Armia. He was not a 4th liner this season and there's absolutely no reason to believe he will be next year unless he is terrible.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
2M$ per? Too much. Give him a 1-year contract at 1.3M$ and then if he does really well, he will have 2.75$ for 3 years. But in no way what he did at the end of the season is already worth 2M$"

I think he want's what he made last year at least ($1.75M AAV). So if you offer him $2M for 2 years he will sign it. If you offer him $1.3M AAV, he gets that easily in UFA IMO. Question is how much does he like Montreal? He's not stupid... he knows our center depth and we just added Poehling to the mix. Domi, Danault, Kotkanimi, Poehling, Peca, Thompson.

Bergevin needs to tell him we need him as a Right handed shot center and pay him but no more than 2 years in term. I don't care if we have to overpay him a few hundred thousand to make him sign before UFA.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
2M$ per? Too much. Give him a 1-year contract at 1.3M$ and then if he does really well, he will have 2.75$ for 3 years. But in no way what he did at the end of the season is already worth 2M$"

He was paid 1.7 this season. Why would he accept a significant downgrade in salary? He will only if he and his agent believe he can't have it july 1st and considering how well he ended the season there's no reason for him to believe he can't have close to 1.7.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
He was paid 1.7 this season. Why would he accept a significant downgrade in salary? He will only if he and his agent believe he can't have it july 1st and considering how well he ended the season there's no reason for him to believe he can't have close to 1.7.

Thompson did? And Weal could do it if he thinks that he is really close to explode so that next year, he'll cash in way more than if he'd do it this year.

Fine...1.5 to Weal for 1 year. 16 freakin games cannot equal to 2M per for 3 years.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
2M$ per? Too much. Give him a 1-year contract at 1.3M$ and then if he does really well, he will have 2.75$ per for 3 years. But in no way what he did at the end of the season is already worth 2M$"
Why the fruck would he sign such a contract?

He was making 1.75M this year...

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Why the fruck would he sign such a contract?

Why did Thompson sign?

He got 1,7, fine, give him 1.5 for 1 year. And if he is really close to being a PPG like he showed us for 16 freakin games, he'll cash in in the next contract.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Geez, suddenly he had 16 good games, and he's the king of the north? Yeah, he got 1.75M$ but he was overpaid for what he gave his teams. He played for 3 freakin teams this year. And he was traded for Michael Chaput...but somehow, he's entitled to 2M for 2 or 3 years?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Thompson will be 35 when the season starts, Weal is in his prime! There's no reason for him to take a pay cut...

Awesome prime....3 teams this year, traded for Michael Chaput. But 16 good games erase all that?

Well if he's so much in his prime, he'll understand that 16 games does not equal to 82 games. And if in his prime he'll be able to score 50-60 points, imagine the contract he'll have the next 3 years instead of taking 2M per for 3 years.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad