News Article: Jordan Weal on Blocked Call-up to the Kings

wabwat

Aug 11, 2003
pasadena, ca.
Visit site
i don't know about that. Andreoff is a bit bigger and better suited to play those minutes. if there's gonna be any new look at the forward position in the post-season, it'll be in the 10-13 range, and a top-6 forward like Weal would be ill-suited for any of those spots and ice time.

i suppose you could argue Weal deserved to get the call over Van Der Gulik, but that was clearly a money thing.

you're forgetting that two waiver exempt top six forwards made the roster ahead of Weal.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
i don't know about that. Andreoff is a bit bigger and better suited to play those minutes. if there's gonna be any new look at the forward position in the post-season, it'll be in the 10-13 range, and a top-6 forward like Weal would be ill-suited for any of those spots and ice time.

i suppose you could argue Weal deserved to get the call over Van Der Gulik, but that was clearly a money thing.

you're forgetting that two waiver exempt top six forwards made the roster ahead of Weal.

Are you talking about Pearson and Toffoli? If so, there's no way Weal was going to take any of their spots.

Andreoff hasn't shown anything to me that shows that he belongs in the NHL (yet). Clifford is the best of the three grinders on the roster (including Nolan and Andreoff), and I think one of the latter two has to go at some point.

KBA4life

Oct 22, 2003
Los Angeles
Visit site
Are you talking about Pearson and Toffoli? If so, there's no way Weal was going to take any of their spots.

Andreoff hasn't shown anything to me that shows that he belongs in the NHL (yet). Clifford is the best of the three grinders on the roster (including Nolan and Andreoff), and I think one of the latter two has to go at some point.

Yeah. Double Andy has been Fraser 2.0, a lot of face washes and not much else...he's barely laid the body on anyone. He's still learning, obviously.

Dwight King is killing me. You either love him or hate him...I'm the latter. I'd love to see an infusion of skill on the bottom lines, Weal please

wabwat

Aug 11, 2003
pasadena, ca.
Visit site

that's exactly what i'm saying. if waiver eligibility were the only concern, the team had options.

i'm suggesting that the possibility of losing a player via waivers wasn't the only reason Andreoff was kept.

i don't know exactly what you'd be looking for out of Andreoff to prove he belongs in the league. he's a kid getting valuable minutes, no matter how guarded, in a role he's going to be expected to play on a Championship team... and he's so far been an even player. not much more you can expect to ask of him.

from now until whenever, or (if) Justin Williams departs via Free Agency this summer, there just isn't going to be a place to slot Weal. 8 minutes per on the 4th line isn't going to benefit neither Weal or the Kings.

depending on what Dean is looking to do by the deadline, it could very well be Kyle Clifford on the move.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Andy is not really a kid anymore, he is 23 and has over 130 AHL games under his belt.

He should be showing more than he is right now. He looks like he barely belongs on an NHL fourth line.

You should expect more out of a guy with that kind of AHL experience.

Weal would be fine, centering the Fourth line, he plays a very good 200ft game, and is decent in the circle. Weal would be a welcome addition of skill in the bottom six.

Last edited:

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
While Andreoff hasn't been great I don't think he's been awful either. He seems to have decent acceleration and a pretty heavy shot, I just wish he'd have more of a physical impact. I'm thinking once he gets comfortable with the NHL pace he'll be able to better play the body.

He's definitely not doing enough to supplant any of our regular fourth liners though.

Weal is an interesting one. He has an intriguing set of skills. I'd like to see him in a few games this season but unfortunately, like Linden Vey, I don't think he'll be able to hold down a permanent spot on this roster no matter how hard he tries.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Does anyone consider Kyle Clifford a kid ? If your definition of (Kid) is someone almost in their mid 20's with over 100 pro games played (the AHL is a pro league). Then you need to change your definition of (kid).

Zykov is a kid, Ebert is a kid, McKeown is a kid....ETC ETC.

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
he's still a kid, period.

as is the highly decorated Drew Doughty... yup, still a kid.

Your talking maybe mentally, not NHL pedigree or experience wise. Doughty has almost 500 NHL games and over 75 playoff games with Olympics to boot.

He is not a kid in the NHL.

wabwat

Aug 11, 2003
pasadena, ca.
Visit site
mentally is the most important part.

Andy Andreoff is the 13th forward for crying out loud. if you are all debating as to whom deserves that spot over who, then 1. you have had injuries up front - which are finally starting to resolve. 2. i don't know what else to tell you.

what you're expecting to see after 8 games that you THINK you might have seen out of Weal in the same span is curious. at any given point this season, 1 line has been responsible for the bulk of the scoring.

Gaborik's been out, Anze was out, and the team has played with only 6 defensemen all season. so unless Jordan Weal is some wunderkind that i don't know about, i would think it fair to assume the results of the last road trip would probably have looked the same... save for your preference of one player over another.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I don't think anyone expects Andy to light up the score board, (I am thinking Lewis production here).

What is most disappointing is, the total lack of physical impact on the ice. The guy is suppose to be gritty, and tough to play against.

He looks like Frattin with less speed out their. Andy didn't play this poorly in the AHL, I watch several AHL games yearly.

Last edited:

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Andreoff is doing perfectly fine for a kid in his NHL infancy. He has to get used to the speed and reaction time, and that comes with experience. Once he is comfortable with the pace, you will see him initiating instead or reacting.

Vey, who is a much better player with higher potential than Weal struggled to make an.impact in his first call-up. Why anyone would expect Weal to show that he instantly belongs is a bit daft.

It just takes time. There is no rush.

wabwat

Aug 11, 2003
pasadena, ca.
Visit site
I don't think anyone expects Andy to light up the score board, (I am thinking Lewis production here).

What is most disappointing is, the total lack of physical impact he has had on the ice. The guy is suppose to be gritty, and tough to play against.

He looks like Frattin with less speed out their. That's about as bad an endorsement as you can get. Andy didn't play this poorly in the AHL, I watch several AHL games yearly.

and you're going to get gritty physical impact out of Weal on 8-minutes a night?

playing poorly? he's an even player playing on an unhealthy roster with a +4 goal differential after its first month. his specific impact shouldn't be cause for anything, let alone concern. he's acquitted himself quite well. very much in the same way Brayden McNabb has.

did it ever occur to you that Andreoff may be pretty coachable and was told - hey, our biggest problem right now is that we've been getting beat on special teams so don't go out looking for something that'll result in us being a man down?

this is a similar though process that's made half the posters in the Richards thread draw the conclusion that he his completely done and should have been bought out after not coming out and giving the shift after the shift after the shift less than one month into the season.

one summer after being tasked to do something he hasn't done for 9-years... which includes 3 Stanley Cup Finals appearances and a Western Conference final in the last 5 of those years.

it's November 6th, and your favorite team are not only defending Champions, they've won 2 in three years - breaking records along the way. NO TEAM has accomplished what they have in nearly 20 years... and they STILL have what, a dozen players left from that first one?

Jesus, i wouldn't be surprised if one or two of the guys haven't even taken their first **** on the road yet.

i've become fairly convinced that the favorite part of every year for 80% of Kings fans on the internet is the off-season.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
and you're going to get gritty physical impact out of Weal on 8-minutes a night?

playing poorly? he's an even player playing on an unhealthy roster with a +4 goal differential after its first month. his specific impact shouldn't be cause for anything, let alone concern. he's acquitted himself quite well. very much in the same way Brayden McNabb has.

did it ever occur to you that Andreoff may be pretty coachable and was told - hey, our biggest problem right now is that we've been getting beat on special teams so don't go out looking for something that'll result in us being a man down?

this is a similar though process that's made half the posters in the Richards thread draw the conclusion that he his completely done and should have been bought out after not coming out and giving the shift after the shift after the shift less than one month into the season.

one summer after being tasked to do something he hasn't done for 9-years... which includes 3 Stanley Cup Finals appearances and a Western Conference final in the last 5 of those years.

it's November 6th, and your favorite team are not only defending Champions, they've won 2 in three years - breaking records along the way. NO TEAM has accomplished what they have in nearly 20 years... and they STILL have what, a dozen players left from that first one?

Jesus, i wouldn't be surprised if one or two of the guys haven't even taken their first s*** on the road yet.

i've become fairly convinced that the favorite part of every year for 80% of Kings fans on the internet is the off-season.
where's the like button?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Weal wouldn't be asked to play gritty or hard to play against(not his skill set). He would be brought up to add skill, and speed in the bottom six.

Of which the Kings could use some help in that area (skill, speed) in the bottom six.

It's moot anyway, cause the Kings didn't have cap space for him.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Summer/off-season for Kings fans is about fantasy.

In fantasies, nothing goes wrong.

The off-season does have its advantages.:sarcasm:

I'm going to slap myself for imagining Kopi as a 90-point player with Gaborik as his 40-goal winger.

Wabwat may be right about that in most cases, but this place was an absolute ghost town this summer.

Maybe we'll see Weal soon if people keep dropping like flies!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad