Speculation: Jordan Sigalet gets the call to the big club

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not too long ago (a few weeks ago, maybe) the Flames announced Jordan Sigalet would be staying on in the Flames organization as a goaltending coach and making the move to Adirondack, but now it appears that may not be the case. It is now looking like he getting the call up to the big club!

Originally posted by sureloss on CP

Kevin Woodley @KevinisInGoal
Sounds like Calgary Flames have new goalie coach in Jordan Sigalet, who gets promoted from their AHL affiliate. Great coach + better person

Got to watch Sigalet work in Abbotsford + loved way combined video, high tech tools, technique + tactics to adapt to each goalie's strengths

Ultimate example was Barry Brust + Danny Taylor, who couldn't be more different as goalies. worked together + turned both into AHL all stars

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Since it may have gotten buried and missed in the ADK Flames thread, I thought I would re-post this from back when the Flames confirmed he was staying with the organization.

Some info about Jordan Sigalet for those interested.

I used info from many sources for this summary.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Sigalet
http://ingoalmag.com/news/jordan-sigalet-relates-to-josh-hardings-ms-diagnosis/
http://www.vancouversun.com/health/...life+will+give+back+hockey/7636725/story.html
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012...n-sigalet-after-multiple-sclerosis-diagnosis/

In March 2003 while playing for Bowling Green University Sigalet was diagnosed with MS, it is said he finished his final NCAA game (2004-05 season) with numbness across his entire body at which point his thought his playing career was over.

After speaking out about the illness his team and the entire NCAA rallied around him. Several teams including the University of Nebraska, Boston College and Michigan sent him packages with autographed items and he was even named team captain of Bowling Green (he's our very own Luongo!).

Sigalet went on to play in the AHL for the Providence Bruins and put up some impressive numbers considering his condition. He finished with a 46-21-5 record, a 2.49 GAA and .905 SV%.

In the 2005-06 season he was called up to the Boston Bruins for a 10 game stretch, where he rode the bench for all but 43 seconds. A great article from the Vancovuer Sun describes it perfectly IMO.

In November of 2007 Sigalet collapsed while the play was in the opposite end of the rink and laid face down on the ice because of an attack and ended up being hospitalized. He went on to play in Europe for a short time, ending his career on his terms but Sigalet admits the on ice attack likely stopped him from getting another NHL contract.

Sigalet retired after the 2008-09 season to become a coach. He got his first break in 2010 when he was hired by the Everett Silvertips, a year later (Aug. 2011) he was given an opportunity by the Abbotsford Heat. In 2011-12 he helped Irving and Taylor look like studs, in 2012-13 it was Taylor and Brust looking like all-stars and then it was Berra and Ortio in 2013-14. The goaltending of our AHL affiliates has been among the best in the AHL since Sigalet was made the goaltending coach.

Sigalet also reached out to Josh Harding when he was diagnosed with MS and offer his help.

As I said when news broke that Ward was let go/not renewed, I wanted Sigalet to return to fold. I think I may have even bluntly stated that it would be a mistake not to bring him to Adirondack. This is such great news for the ADK Flames and their goaltending.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I guess they couldn't find anyone. Original plan was for Sigalet to coach in Adirondack.
What an asinine statement. Did you maybe consider that just maybe the Flames did their due diligence and they never found anyone BETTER for the position? Sigalet has worked with 6 different goaltenders on a regular basis since being hired by the organization, of those 6 goaltenders 4 of them have played like elite AHL goaltenders. The goaltenders have had vastly different styles, personalities, backgrounds and have ranged from young prospects like Ortio and Irving to veteran AHLers like Brust. Sigalet is an excellent goaltending coach and the Flames have been searching for a long time for the best candidate, if the job goes to Sigalet it is because they feel he is the best candidate.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
A well deserved promotion imo. He did his job very well in Abby. I think this will really benefit us assuming Ortio joins the big club next year as back up with the same goaltending coach.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
this is what PMM on CP had to say:
Siggy's an awesome person and an extremely diligent coach. He puts in a stupid amount of video, technical and hands-on work with his goalies. Ortio couldn't say enough good things about him all year.

The biggest thing you'll notice is he's a bit of a "new age" goalie coach in the sense that he uses all the technology and software available to him to help him teach better and communicate his lessons more effectively.

As a person he's extremely laid back and, like most goalies, he's a funny guy. Always good for quotes.

Yes, I'm biased, but I really like this hiring.

PMM worked as a writer for the Heat/Flames and always has such great insights into the farm club.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Congratulations to him for sure. I was living in Victoria 15 years ago when he was leading the Victoria Salsa to the BCJHL (as it was known) title. Pumped when he got drafted by Boston and then very saddened with his diagnosis at BG. He certainly hasn't let it slow him down from having a very productive career, even if it has forced that career down a different path than he might have first thought. Great news!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad