Confirmed with Link: Jordan Oesterle signed for 1 year

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Always find it strange when we bring in these types of guys. Michael Stone is the designated popcorn eater on this roster, now, then, forever.

Oesterle wasn't a regular for a bad Detroit team. In fact, he wasn't a regular for bad Arizona teams, or bad Oiler teams once upon a time.

Just a very Flames-ee type move. Grab a depth defender on the first day of FA, meanwhile there will be guys like Dermott, Bear, Foote, Jones, Clague, Mete or even someone like Juolevi who'll be looking for jobs later in the summer that could offer a bit more upside and could still fill in for the depth plug role on this roster.

I've sometimes wondered if you get a guy like that to be another eye in the sky, but also skates on the ice sort of thing. Someone who does the practices but can relay info/data to the prospects a little better than a coach can. Someone who has the skills to in the future be capable of NHL management as a coach, scout etc.

Stajan, Stone and some of those guys seem like they're capable of those roles to me. I don't know much about Oesterle, but I wonder if he's the same.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Always find it strange when we bring in these types of guys. Michael Stone is the designated popcorn eater on this roster, now, then, forever.

Oesterle wasn't a regular for a bad Detroit team. In fact, he wasn't a regular for bad Arizona teams, or bad Oiler teams once upon a time.

Just a very Flames-ee type move. Grab a depth defender on the first day of FA, meanwhile there will be guys like Dermott, Bear, Foote, Jones, Clague, Mete or even someone like Juolevi who'll be looking for jobs later in the summer that could offer a bit more upside and could still fill in for the depth plug role on this roster.

Yup, gotta keep Stone in limbo for his whole NHL career just because he gives Flames' brass that power. Is more than ok as a 6 or 7 guy (particularly for his price-tag), great on the PP always slapping in goals way over his pay grade. Despite being a little slow 5 on 5 I've never hated on this guy. He's the Rodney Dangerfield of this org, maybe in history now.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Stone has sacrificed his career somewhat to be able to stay in Calgary for his wife and kids.

I know he wants to play some more, but I would dearly love to see him take up a coaching gig, say the Wranglers, because he has a passion for the game and is a solid pro in every sense of the word.

Reactions: Fig

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Stone has sacrificed his career somewhat to be able to stay in Calgary for his wife and kids.

I know he wants to play some more, but I would dearly love to see him take up a coaching gig, say the Wranglers, because he has a passion for the game and is a solid pro in every sense of the word.
It was reported today that he may be joining the organization in a non-playing capacity, whether that organization is the Flames specifically or CSEC, I do not know, but y guess might be an AC for the Hitmen.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It was reported today that he may be joining the organization in a non-playing capacity, whether that organization is the Flames specifically or CSEC, I do not know, but y guess might be an AC for the Hitmen.
Replace Stajan and Stajan moves up?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
That was my thought, but Stone is going to be in a player development role with Gelinas.

Maybe Stajan is going for long term role vs Stone is a transitional one? Like Stone's experience is good for players while it's fresh. Stajan's role might lead him to aim to be AHL AC or HC going forward?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Maybe Stajan is going for long term role vs Stone is a transitional one? Like Stone's experience is good for players while it's fresh. Stajan's role might lead him to aim to be AHL AC or HC going forward?
Potentially, I'd like to see Stajan move up to the AHL this season. I think for Stone, it might be more about travel, in a player development role, he's not going to be on the road too much other than the odd trip with teh farm club and the odd trip down to Rapid City to work with those prospects if we have any there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad