Signing(s): Jordan Love contract 1-year extension in Green Bay

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I suppose it protects the team if he flops this year or gets badly injured as the 5th yr options are fully guaranteed, so this way if it goes way south the team would save a chunk of money
Yeah, from the team's perspective, I get it.

From Love's perspective though, not really. Sure, he might get two more million, but he could also get 10M less if he sucks.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Its also possible they could have declined the option and make him prove it like NYG did with Jones, so Love is halfway covering himself at least
Each side hedges their bets. Jones did well enough to secure a new deal. If the numbers for the tag hold it would cost around $32 mill for a non exclusive tag. So GB would always have that in their pocket.
Guess love opted for some security.
Doesn’t really show that GB is all in on Love.

Don’t foresee GB to be a bottom 2 team to draft Williams or Maye.

Any team that finishes that low to secure a shot at the top QBs isn’t trading them. There’s only like 6-8 teams that would deal the top pick away but those are teams with clear cut top end QBs like KC, Cin, LAC, Etc. GB ends up that bad they are dumping Love.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
Yeah, from the team's perspective, I get it.

From Love's perspective though, not really. Sure, he might get two more million, but he could also get 10M less if he sucks.

If Packers didn't pick the option, he would be free agent next spring, so guaranteed money would be around $2,3m. By signing this deal he gets $13,5 million fully guaranteed. So a lot more guaranteed money for him.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The original tweet should've clarified that it was a team option. I think that's where the confusion was.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They aren't sure Love is the answer.

They ARE sure, and correctly so, that Mr Cave Bat is NOT the answer anymore for a team in their position.
AR near the end with GB. Maybe NYJ gives him new life.
Sooner or later GB eats the dead cap from AR. So, guess they figured might as well do it now and clear the books once they can find out if Love is the guy or not.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
AR near the end with GB. Maybe NYJ gives him new life.
Sooner or later GB eats the dead cap from AR. So, guess they figured might as well do it now and clear the books once they can find out if Love is the guy or not.
Lmao you're my dead cap guru on this board.

And by that I mean guru of dead cap, not a deceased guru of cap. Hopefully you're not dead. Are you dead?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Green Bay has been playing this transition really well - awesome job to get the extension done.

Love either shows promise, or we can trade up like the Panthers did.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Love either shows promise, or we can trade up like the Panthers did.
If Williams and Maye are as good as they are hyped to be (unlikely), what team who would finish at the bottom of the standings would trade away a chance to draft their future QB? Only, if some warts come out this 2023 in their game would a team do that.

Aside from the elite like KC, Cin, Buf, LAC, Jax, Phi, Bal and their QBs, do you think any of Sea, SF, AZ, Dal, NYG, LV, Den, or whomever wouldn't just stay at the top of the draft and take one of those QBs and get rid of the QB that got them to the bottom of the standings?

I mean, if Williams was eligible this draft, I think Chicago moves off Fields and takes Williams.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If Williams and Maye are as good as they are hyped to be (unlikely), what team who would finish at the bottom of the standings would trade away a chance to draft their future QB? Only, if some warts come out this 2023 in their game would a team do that.

Aside from the elite like KC, Cin, Buf, LAC, Jax, Phi, Bal and their QBs, do you think any of Sea, SF, AZ, Dal, NYG, LV, Den, or whomever wouldn't just stay at the top of the draft and take one of those QBs and get rid of the QB that got them to the bottom of the standings?

I mean, if Williams was eligible this draft, I think Chicago moves off Fields and takes Williams.

I'm just using this year as a precedent, obviously you'd need the right team to partner with.. But we've seen the Rams trade 2 even though they had Bradford, and he wasn't lighting the world on fire.

So it's happened, just need the order to fall the right way.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm just using this year as a precedent, obviously you'd need the right team to partner with.. But we've seen the Rams trade 2 even though they had Bradford, and he wasn't lighting the world on fire.

So it's happened, just need the order to fall the right way.
Goff wasn't talked about the year before his draft like Williams/Maye are.

Again, they may not be as good. Stroud was supposed to take off in 2022 but really didn't kill it with the weapons he had. Expectation wasn't Burrow LSU level, but you expected more out of Stroud in 2022. Something like that would then maybe give a team who has the top pick something to think about. But, there are no physical issues with Williams/Maye like there were with Young.

I mean, if your QB in 2023 landed you the worst record in the NFL, why would you roll into 2024 with him again? With the rookie QB pay scale now, more advantageous to reboot the QB position if given the opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad