Jordan for Selke?

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Some interesting stuff from Elliotte Friedman here:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-canucks-coach-criteria-good-news-green/

Surprised to see any Canes on his list tbh, but:

* Jeff Skinner, honorable mention for Lady Byng
* Sebastian Aho, honorable mention for Calder
* Jordan Staal, legit contender for Selke (??)... quote, "Jordan Staal simply did not get enough credit for what he did this year."

So. This was a pretty good team in a lot of ways, and starting to get some recognition for it. I doubt Jordan actually gets serious consideration for Selke, and frankly not sure he deserves it -- but I think this is good recognition for a strong young base.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
If the Selke was what it used to be, even in the days when Peca, Madden and Draper won it, I'd say he was a strong contender. But I don't see a 40-point type player winning it ever again.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Friedman also said the Canes could consider moving Hanifin for a serious offer. "No weak sauce"

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Friedman also said the Canes could consider moving Hanifin for a serious offer. "No weak sauce"

Yeah, that was mentioned in the trade thread, which actually took me to the article in the first place -- but figured that Jordan getting actual consideration by an actual Selke voter was interesting enough to merit its own mention.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah I'd be 100% onboard with a guy like Jordan winning the Selke. Weird as it is to say Brind'Amour may have been the last guy to win it simply on the basis of his elite defensive play the two seasons he did. Not taking anything away from Dats who was a very VERY good defensive player in his own right, and I think 08-09 he deserved to win it outright.

But 07-08 should have been Madden IMHO, and 09-10 I would have given it to Kesler or Jordan instead, even though Kesler's make him look more like the typical post-lockout mold type that year.

Bergeron and Kesler are the two guys that have won it recently that feels like they weren't just playing the "good two-way guy that put up a lot of points this year" card when they won the award.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Not enough offense and reputation, sadly, but Staal is top three d forward since 2009. I don't care for Selke as a award though, i mean Kopitar and Toews wins a few of that.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
Last year was a slightly better year for Jordan but he still should've been top 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad