Player Discussion: Jordan Dumais, 96th overall, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
11 goals 13 assists in 10 games, absolutely disgusting. There’s no way he keeps this pace up right? Lol

Reactions: I3LI3

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
if I’m jarmo and co. I’m doing what it takes to draft vidicek. him and dumais’ chemistry is surreal even if it is at the CHL level.

sure he’s a smaller centerman, but drafting Vidicek is a must to me.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'll admit, I didn't give this kid much credit during the prospect review but he's certainly making me open my eyes. I get it's the CHL but he's clearly got skill. I'd like to see the skating improve some. that would make me feel better about his long term prospects but always glad to be off my my evaluation when it comes to a positive step for these kids. Good for him and hopefully good for us.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Counter-point: He finished last season with 44 points in 18 games, so he has kept this pace for almost 30 QMJHL games in row now.

Also, offensive talent around Dumais is set to improve when L'Heureux returns, which should help in keeping the scoring pace up
so that's 68 points in his last 28 games. that's 199 point pace over 82.

i'm all-in on this kid. he's gonna be a star.

Reactions: I3LI3 and CBJx614

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Another 1 goal 2 assists on the road in Val D’or to help Halifax win in overtime 3-2! He’s now at 64pts in 23 consecutive QMJHL Games. He’s at 12 goals, 15 assists in 11 games to start the season off which leads the QMJHL.

Reactions: Marioesque

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Another casual 3 assist afternoon with a period and a half to go. There’s literally no slowing this kid down. Monctons a good team too.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If he makes Team Canada I’ll start getting excited. I think he’s got a good shot to make the team.

I'm not going to be surprised if the coach doesn't want him. They'll look to fill out the roster with bigger players and maybe more grindy WHLers.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm not going to be surprised if the coach doesn't want him. They'll look to fill out the roster with bigger players and maybe more grindy WHLers.
I could see him making it as an extra with it being in Halifax.
Hes eligible next year so if he keeps improving I think thats when he'll get his chance

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Another casual 3 assist afternoon with a period and a half to go. There’s literally no slowing this kid down. Monctons a good team too.
Update: they blew a 4-0 lead when I posted that and lost 4-5 in regulations. Yikes.

I wouldn’t be surprised in both scenarios, he could play a big role for Team Canada at the World Juniors or he may not make the team at all, but surely he gets an invite.

Reactions: majormajor

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Update: they blew a 4-0 lead when I posted that and lost 4-5 in regulations. Yikes.

I wouldn’t be surprised in both scenarios, he could play a big role for Team Canada at the World Juniors or he may not make the team at all, but surely he gets an invite.
I was at the game. Dumais is a 100ft player who is usually lurking at the red line waiting for the stretch pass. Totally ineffective in the defensive zone. He is small and loses puck battles. He has good vision and he is a great passer. His skating is average. He has short choppy strides and he gets caught by opposing players. I don't want to burst your bubble but i don't see him translating his production to higher levels let alone the NHL.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Ive never seen a prospect get such varying opinions and create so much debate, especially as a 3rd rounder. His prospect page is really interesting, some predicting a star some predicting a nothing prospect. Some claiming CBJ fans are too high on him when its just non CBJ fans arguing about his upside.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ive never seen a prospect get such varying opinions and create so much debate, especially as a 3rd rounder. His prospect page is really interesting, some predicting a star some predicting a nothing prospect. Some claiming CBJ fans are too high on him when its just non CBJ fans arguing about his upside.

It's very interesting. I like having this question.

Personally I'm in the camp that smart players do a good job of adapting to whatever league they're in. And Dumais is very adapted to the Q. It doesn't mean he won't adapt to the NHL later.

The scoring totals are deceptively high though because of the Maritime Division, that critique I do believe in.

Reactions: LJ7 and thebus88

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I was at the game. Dumais is a 100ft player who is usually lurking at the red line waiting for the stretch pass.
That's odd, because the Mooseheads GM - as quoted in a recent Athletic article by Scott Wheeler about Dumais - suggested otherwise:

Mooseheads general manager Cam Russell hit some of the same notes. He talked about his “tremendous hockey skill” and the team-best vision that results in passes even those in the stands don’t see, but he also talked about Dumais as probably his team’s best player along the wall, always “the first guy back on the backcheck,” and the guy who makes his linemates better rather than the other way around.
(emphasis added)

Wheeler went back to some game tape to double-check some of this stuff, and there's at least one example that was specifically pointed at w/r/t said backchecking (I tried to embed it but it's defying me).

So I are confuse.

NewGenScout

Apr 22, 2022
I was at the game. Dumais is a 100ft player who is usually lurking at the red line waiting for the stretch pass. Totally ineffective in the defensive zone. He is small and loses puck battles. He has good vision and he is a great passer. His skating is average. He has short choppy strides and he gets caught by opposing players. I don't want to burst your bubble but i don't see him translating his production to higher levels let alone the NHL.
Your critiquessss on him do not date back from last week. Lol, but that is your opinion. Being a Quebecer and behing a proud Quebecer makes me want to believe in him for so may reasons as he is such a great story. You are one of the biggest hater on him and you have your own right…i prefer to believe in him because of his way above average hockey sense that is rarely seen in the CHL. Let’s see how it goes for him, good luck in your prediction :)

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
I respect your analysis, we’ll see.

Reactions: Rob Sense

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Your critiquessss on him do not date back from last week. Lol, but that is your opinion. Being a Quebecer and behing a proud Quebecer makes me want to believe in him for so may reasons as he is such a great story. You are one of the biggest hater on him and you have your own right…i prefer to believe in him because of his way above average hockey sense that is rarely seen in the CHL. Let’s see how it goes for him, good luck in your prediction :)
All good. I have no skin in the game. This is all observation since I just saw him play a few away games the last two years. Maybe he is Jekyll and Hyde when i am in the arena. I was expecting a dominant player and he is not. There is no hate whatsoever but i will respond when some think that Dumais is the second coming of Mario Lemieux. I hope he makes it but that does not mean that i have rose colored glasses.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
All good. I have no skin in the game. This is all observation since I just saw him play a few away games the last two years. Maybe he is Jekyll and Hyde when i am in the arena. I was expecting a dominant player and he is not. There is no hate whatsoever but i will respond when some think that Dumais is the second coming of Mario Lemieux. I hope he makes it but that does not mean that i have rose colored glasses.

I don't think Dumais ever looks that dominant, at least I've never seen it either. I don't disagree there.

But I don't like the assumption that his junior playstyle is a permanent feature of his game and the assumption that this isn't a brilliant player that adapts to be effective in whatever league he is in. I'm not sure that he'll be able to greatly adapt to the pros but I know that observing a junior playstyle doesn't mean much. It's a more difficult puzzle than that.

And his strength and skating are much better than people give him credit for. When he really has to use it he has shown that he's got a great physique for a prospect his age.

Reactions: LJ7 and Viqsi

NewGenScout

Apr 22, 2022
All good. I have no skin in the game. This is all observation since I just saw him play a few away games the last two years. Maybe he is Jekyll and Hyde when i am in the arena. I was expecting a dominant player and he is not. There is no hate whatsoever but i will respond wh<en some think that Dumais is the second coming of Mario Lemieux. I hope he makes it but that does not mean that i have rose colored glasses.
Ok, I see where you are from...no need to argue, lol. Nobody that cheers for him here or talk about his potential are talking about Mario Lemieux, that is a bit stupid. But if Dumais becomes a Yanni Gourde, Marchessault or Beauvillier or a Braydon Point. that would be such a great story. I think that he would take a career like Drouin anytime too even if it does not go well for him these days. Some people were comparing him to Garland too...if any of these scenarios happen and he ends up playing 5-7 years, that would be an outstanding success and a great example for smaller players that were underdogs and underappreciated. But I also know that the flop scenario may easily happen too, but for now he is proving a lot of people wrong. Even when he was Bantam, people were saying that he would never be a junior player and he should have gone the NCAA route. I have no skin in the game too, I just can appreciate an outstanding talent even if it's not speed, size and toughness.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad