Value of: Jordan Binningtons next contract

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I’d say the Murray deal is a great comparable, but since we’ve entered locoland with NHL contracts over the last calendar year I can see him getting $6m/4y and never living up to it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Should be interesting. He turns 26 July 11th so he's not far off UFA status. I think Blues probably role the dice on a 5ish year deal at 5-6 AAV.
That should leave him with 2 RFA years. Aim would be a 3 year deal. Cap hit likely in the $5 odd mill range.

Jones started off very well in SJ too. Have to see a larger sample size before you drop big dollars and term.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Is murrays deal a comparable? Didnt murray have 2 cups and was a lot younger when he signed his?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Yup.. This

Maybe a little more than Murray since contracts seem to go up more and more every year.. But roughly a Murray ish deal

Murray's contract was RFA years, Binnys contract is paying for UFA years. Big difference in price

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Depends on the approach. If STL wants to reward him for the Cup, he'll get some extra. But if they want to play it smart, they'll give him a shorter deal like Murray, and if he does well for most of it, he'll get a big raise. And if they play hardball, then they'll give him a "workable" deal.

In the first case: 6-7M x 4-5 years
The second one: 4 - 4.5M x 3-4 years, followed by 6-8M x 6-7 years (to age 38~) if he does well.
Or in the last case: 3-5M x 6 years

I kind of feel like STL runs a tight shop, so I'll guess the second option.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
It's a mistake whatever he is getting. They should wait to make sure he is not a 1 year wonder. But If I were Binnington's agent I would try to get locked into a longterm deal now. His value will never be higher than it is now.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Is murrays deal a comparable? Didnt murray have 2 cups and was a lot younger when he signed his?

Murray's probably comparable in terms of achievement, if my research is correct then Murray re-signed after his first cup, and had only played 13 regular season games to go with his 21 playoff games. Like you point out though, he was a lot younger so buying RFA years whereas Binnington you're buying UFA years.

I'm guessing they'll settle on a 3/4 year deal around $5 million per year. Binnington gets a decent amount of money and the change to still get another pay day at 29 while St Louis get him at a reasonable caphit and the deal isn't so long that it becomes a huge problem if he doesn't work out as a starter.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lets pump the tires a bit. I have faith hes legit, but could be Matt Murray or Annti Niemi here.

Interesting that you're implying Murray isn't legit when he's a top-10 starter in the NHL.

He was younger but he only had 1 cup, I believe he signed his extension in the early parts of the 2016-2017 season. I think the RFA vs UFA thing plus the cap being higher causes Binnington to get a little bit more, but I'd be surprised if he got more than the Koskinen contract (3 years at $4.5 million).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad