Player Discussion: Joonas Korpisalo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Ottawa have signed Korpisalo to a 5-year deal for $20 million.
Pierre Dorion is getting ripped to shreds over on the Sens board.

General consensus seems to be that the AAV of $4/year is not too bad but 5 years is way too long.
The word 'unproven' seems to be the popular word to describe Korpisalo.

I was hoping to get the opinion of this board on Korpisalo.
Can he be a solid #1 Goalie in the NHL for the next 5 years or did Ottawa just make a huge mistake?

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Quiet, goes about his business type of guy. When he's healthy he plays with confidence.

I think he's definitely #1 material, if he can stay healthy. He's had stretches where injuries weren't the issue - our defense was..

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Quiet, goes about his business type of guy. When he's healthy he plays with confidence.

I think he's definitely #1 material, if he can stay healthy. He's had stretches where injuries weren't the issue - our defense was..
He’s had bouts of not being quiet and going about his business. I think he’s driven. When he’s on, he’s very good. He just isn’t on as much as you like. When he’s not on, he’s not bad, but he’s only average. And then there have been times he’s been hurt.

You can find explanations for his overall stats being average, but sometimes it’s just the truth.

All of which is to say he’s not worse than a bunch of starting goalies in the league, he’s just not better than them either. And this is a player I advocated trading Bobrovsky so he could start in like 2017.

It’s be cool for him if he showed out like a top 12 goalie in the league, but I wouldn’t expect it.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I like him personally. He's never been able to find consistency. His play is not worth $4m per nor 5 years of term.

Reactions: koteka

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
He’s had bouts of not being quiet and going about his business. I think he’s driven. When he’s on, he’s very good. He just isn’t on as much as you like. When he’s not on, he’s not bad, but he’s only average. And then there have been times he’s been hurt.

You can find explanations for his overall stats being average, but sometimes it’s just the truth.

All of which is to say he’s not worse than a bunch of starting goalies in the league, he’s just not better than them either. And this is a player I advocated trading Bobrovsky so he could start in like 2017.

It’s be cool for him if he showed out like a top 12 goalie in the league, but I wouldn’t expect it.
We all have our moments. He's not a droid. He's human. I'm speaking to the type of person he is on and off the ice.. lends me to say he's a quiet, mostly reserved person.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
General consensus seems to be that the AAV of $4/year is not too bad but 5 years is way too long.
The word 'unproven' seems to be the popular word to describe Korpisalo.

I was hoping to get the opinion of this board on Korpisalo.
Can he be a solid #1 Goalie in the NHL for the next 5 years or did Ottawa just make a huge mistake?
I would say I agree with your board. I am very happy for Korpi though, he's earned it.

He appears to be one of those goalies where the more he plays the better he is. For years as Bob's backup (when he'd see around 20 games max) he was very inconsistent. Some of that was just being young, and some was just not being good enough. We won the Calder Cup in 2016, and Korpi was supposed to be the man for that team. He won round 1 pretty easily and played well. He played well for most of round 2, but almost blew a 3-0 series lead, and lost his job to Anton Forsberg and he never gave it back.

But in more recent years its mostly been the injuries that has sidelined his play. Hip surgery, knee surgery, sickness. He went through it all. Felt bad for Korpi but I really thought his career in the NHL was nearly over this time last year. But management believed in him and he bounced back in a big way this year.

He is prone to some softies sometimes and I think he ran out of gas for LA at the end there. But he competes hard, is talented as hell, and as others have mentioned is just a fantastic dude to have in the locker room.

To answer your question in TLDR fashion, yes I think he can be a #1 goalie, but I do think you will have to watch his minutes as he is prone to injury and softies.

Very much rooting for Korpi.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Reminds me of Bobrovsky a little bit.
When he's hot, he's hot.
When he's not, he's not.
And he can be "not" for extended periods of time.
Great guy, though. Teammates love the guy.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
P.T. Barnam had a line which applies to the Ottawa GM.

Maybe there will be an Elvis for Joonas trade in the future.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
He sucks.
Just to help you out we will swap him for Elvis :)

I like him, I personally wouldn't have done 5 years either but in free agency you usually have to pay the extra year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad