Value of: Joonas Korpisalo to the Oilers

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
AA is worst a 7th on a good day

a starting goalie.......smoke some more of that shit
I don't understand the first sentence.

Do you mean he's only worth a 7th rd pick?

That's pretty ridiculous.

His career numbers are basically 20-20-40 and are basically similar to but better than Josh Anderson.

His numbers this year, in a down year, are similar but better than Boone Jenner.

Sure, there is more to being good besides goals and assists, but that doesn't make your post any more correct or any less trolly.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Rephrase it as how many starting goalies would get traded for a 3rd liner, depth defenseman and pick this year?
That's more than Alex Stalock would get and Stalock has eerily similar numbers to Korpisalo. You are crazy if you think he'd get more than that.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
That's more than Alex Stalock would get and Stalock has eerily similar numbers to Korpisalo. You are crazy if you think he'd get more than that.

That's not necessarily what I'm saying. I'm saying CBJ should hold onto him if that's all he might fetch in a trade at this time.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I guess I’m in the minority here but I like AA and I’d like him on Columbus. I was pretty excited when it started leaking on the trade deadline day that he had been traded to Columbus.

I think just because he laid an egg in Edmonton doesn’t erase his pretty successful career to this point. He’s a career .51 ppg player entering his prime. While I think Jarmo would aim a little higher than AA to add scoring, and it could turn out that he’s just a middle six forward that would be more of the same rather than an upgrade, he’s still been a pretty good player for most of his career. For example, Jenner is career .46 ppg and Foligno is an identical .51 ppg and we are looking for an offensive upgrade on them. I wouldn’t be too upset if (high) picks were added to the deal coming to Columbus. My main drawback to that is that unless it’s a huge haul of picks, we lose the ability to trade Korpi for a bonafide top 6 forward. And we have roughly 16 NHL forwards right now so it could create a waiver casualty.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Rephrase it as how many starting goalies would get traded for a 3rd liner, depth defenseman and pick this year?
Actually your way is no better. That third liner scored 30 goals last year. Columbus already has a winger that had a similar year that people have been lowballing them for, so they don’t need another

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Which players on CBJ would have been plus players on DET?
Wrong question.

Better questions

Which Columbus players would have been so lousy to be -45 in 46 games.

What players with any offensive skills after being traded to a playoff team would be so lifeless to have 2 points in 9 reg season games with oilers.

Or 0 points in 4 playoff games.

He has no trade value. You want to keep and repair all the power to you it could happen. But expecting something in return other than a 5th is a pipe dream.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Korpisalo has been a sub 0.900 goalie at 5v5 for two of the past three seasons and has never posted high end numbers. I'm really not convinced he's a better goaltender than Koskinen.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Wrong question.

Better questions

What players with any offensive skills after being traded to a playoff team would be so lifeless to have 2 points in 9 reg season games with oilers.

He has no trade value. You want to keep and repair all the power to you it could happen. But expecting something in return other than a 5th is a pipe dream.

You talk like you're some sort of authority on the matter. You're not. We just saw a middle 6 winger land a 1st with Toronto and Pittsburgh. AA could get something helpful to Edmonton and you're just clueless if you think he can't. No value? What is this, an expensive long term contract for an over the hill guy with a NTC -NMC?

He had a bad year. He had 30 goals last year. He's 26 FFS.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Wrong question.

Better questions

On the Red Wings this year? Probably a few of them. Look at Fabbri's pace. He was headed there.

Your opinion is HFBoards in a nutshell. Absolutely no read on realistic value because there's no read on the player in question. Just the most recent boxcar stats with no info on usage, player fit or anything of substance.

Athanasiou is 13 games removed from being a Red Wing and one shortened season from being a 30 goal scorer. Give your head a shake.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
You talk like you're some sort of authority on the matter. You're not. We just saw a middle 6 winger land a 1st with Toronto and Pittsburgh. AA could get something helpful to Edmonton and you're just clueless if you think he can't. No value? What is this, an expensive long term contract for an over the hill guy with a NTC -NMC?

He had a bad year. He had 30 goals last year. He's 26 FFS.
You talk like someone who didn't watch AA for the last year. He flat out suxs.

And if at 26 you want to repair, I get it.

But please don't expect value for AA because Pens overvalued Kapanen.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
You talk like someone who didn't watch AA for the last year. He flat out suxs.

And if at 26 you want to repair, I get it.

But please don't expect value for AA because Pens overvalued Kapanen.

Well, I watched him as an Oiler. You obviously didn't. Even though he didn't get on the board during the play-in round they were AA's best games as an Oiler. He generated chances but he didn't convert. That sucks for us but he was one of the few guys who showed up. Lots of Oilers did not.

He is one year removed for 30 goals. I think the guy still has value. Everyone is entitled to their opinion however. I shouldn't jump down your throat over it.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
On the Red Wings this year? Probably a few of them. Look at Fabbri's pace. He was headed there.

Your opinion is HFBoards in a nutshell. Absolutely no read on realistic value because there's no read on the player in question. Just the most recent boxcar stats with no info on usage, player fit or anything of substance.

Athanasiou is 13 games removed from being a Red Wing and one shortened season from being a 30 goal scorer. Give your head a shake.
I will be sure to trust fan value over hockey writers asking if AA will be offered a contract as an RFA.

Home team fans in a nut shell.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I will be sure to trust fan value over hockey writers asking if AA will be offered a contract as an RFA.

Home team fans in a nut shell.
The RFA discussions have nothing to do with performance. If you read Friedman's article carefully, you would've caught the part about teams worrying about pending arbitration awards, which would be valid in AA's instance. You know, the part where he scored 30 goals?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Well, I watched him as an Oiler. You obviously didn't. Even though he didn't get on the board during the play-in round they were AA's best games as an Oiler. He generated chances but he didn't convert. That sucks for us but he was one of the few guys who showed up. Lots of Oilers did not.

He is one year removed for 30 goals. I think the guy still has value. Everyone is entitled to their opinion however. I shouldn't jump down your throat over it.
If you want to tell me AA can rebound and give him a full year with Leon or McDavid and he will be back, its an interesting discussion. Its possible. Should EDM stay pat or sign a different ufa is a legit debate.

But putting AA as the main piece for number 1 goalie be it Murray, Korpisalo, etc, and I don't believe it for a second.

For my own team i can hope Ghost bounces back and plays better. But that doesn't mean he can be the main piece for Bjorkstrand trade.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The RFA discussions have nothing to do with performance. If you read Friedman's article carefully, you would've caught the part about teams worrying about pending arbitration awards, which would be valid in AA's instance. You know, the part where he scored 30 goals?
You also know the part where AA makes more money that he is worth.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You also know the part where AA makes more money that he is worth.
Here you go again, throwing your opinion out in response to a post that states facts.

If the Oilers were confident he made more money than he was worth, they'd have no concerns walking him to arbitration.

Do you know how arbitration works?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Here you go again, throwing your opinion out in response to a post that states facts.

If the Oilers were confident he made more money than he was worth, they'd have no concerns walking him to arbitration.

Do you know how arbitration works?
Here you go again stating your opinion is smarter than writers.
I'll quote Bruce Mccurdy for you on AA regular season time with Oilers.

Either way, it is clear that A.A. will need a strong playoff performance to salvage a poor regular season. An especially disappointing one after the 30-goal campaign he recorded in Detroit just one season prior. Of course if he’d continued at that rate he wouldn’t have been available at the deadline for a couple of second-round picks if at all, and his next extension would be a whole lot more expensive once the two-year, $3.0 million AAV contract he signed in 2018 expires after the playoffs. Instead, said renewal represents something of a conundrum for Ken Holland.

In our customary manner, we show just the player’s stats as an Oiler on the “player card” that accompanies each review. Not much to see here in a positive sense, just 2 points, some pretty dodgy ice time and shot metrics, and a truly horrid average game grade of just 4.1, lowest of any Oiler all season.

But yes Oilers fan know more than the writers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad