Confirmed with Link: Joonas Korpisalo signed to entry level contract

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Cool. Assuming Dansk is signed, gonna be a hell of a logjam in Springfield next year.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, that's not happening. CBJProspects is full of ****.

I wouldn't completely dismiss it out of hand, for a few reasons.

1) If this front office prefers to go with a higher number of contracts (45+) out of the 50-contract limit, being able to slide Korpisalo's by sending him to Prince George could help.

2) Korpisalo would need time to adjust to the North American ice, and ideally pick up a ton of ice time in the process.

3) Prince George isn't a bad team, but they allowed a ton of goals. It may well be a legitimate playoff team with an upgrade in net.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I thought the CHL wasn't accepting european's anymore because they were taking ice time of Canadians?

Regardless, I don't think there is a need to sign Dansk right now either. He won't turn 21 until the middle of next season. Unless I'm completely off, he is eligible to play in the CHL for another year. We may not need to sign him for another year. Especially if he's not going to play in the NHL since he went the Junior route.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Yeah, that's not happening. CBJProspects is full of ****.

he merely said it was a possibility...i'm biased here b/c i'm good friends with the guy, but to say he's "full of ****" is a little far fetched to say, he is pretty in tune with the goings on of the prospects

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
he merely said it was a possibility...i'm biased here b/c i'm good friends with the guy, but to say he's "full of ****" is a little far fetched to say, he is pretty in tune with the goings on of the prospects

Actually playing in the CHL makes sense. He is eligible for 1 more year and it would be better for him than playing in the ECHL. I just can't see the team going with an all prospect goalie tandem in Springfield next year. I would anticipate one of the current goalies will remain with Forsberg in the equation.

2 years down the road, then maybe Forsberg has an opportunity to be the backup in Columbus while Korpisalo and Dansk battle for time in Springfield.

I also somehow think one of these goalie prospects will be traded at some point within the next couple of years. No guarantees any of them pan out but there definitely won't be room in the next for all of them to eventually be the starter in Columbus.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i am somewhat expecting the duo to be 2 of McKenna/Smith/Forsberg next year... (prob McKenna/Forsberg with Smith in Evansville as he's had some "mason moments" this year

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
One of the most underrated prospects in our system. Never hear any chatter on here really about Korpisalo's game. Starting goaltender for Ilves in the Liiga Finnish league. Has tremendous stats this year.. 1.89 GAA, .930 save percentage in 18 games this year.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
He's played really well this season and with Dansk's recent struggles it makes sense. Good for Joonas!

edit: wow I thought this was a new topic, didn't even notice it's 9 months old..

Last edited:

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Mainly don't see much discussion about him because he's never really stood out at any of the camps in Columbus. Forsberg, ,Dansk, and now Elvis have looked better.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Mainly don't see much discussion about him because he's never really stood out at any of the camps in Columbus. Forsberg, ,Dansk, and now Elvis have looked better.

Injuries have been his issue which caused him to bounce between teams. This year he's healthy and playing on 1 team and performing great. Howson had a good approach that year, take the top rated Swede goalie and top rated Finnish goalie... something should work out :laugh:

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013

Elvis' stats have regressed a bit compared to last year... although last year he had an unsustainable year in his rookie season playing in the NLA. Korpisalo is playing against tougher competition in Liiga. Regardless, our goalie pool is deeeep.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Never will understand the Elvis pick.

Joonas should be SPR's backup next year, assuming Forsberg is still in the AHL.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
He's played really well this season and with Dansk's recent struggles it makes sense. Good for Joonas!

edit: wow I thought this was a new topic, didn't even notice it's 9 months old..

:laugh: You mean it isn't? I thought it was new too.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Never will understand the Elvis pick.

Joonas should be SPR's backup next year, assuming Forsberg is still in the AHL.

I think with goalies you never know for sure (see Mason and Andrew Raycroft) and since our "can't miss top G of the future" OD is struggling you take a shot with a guy who has potential.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Jatkoaika.com published Korpisalo's interview about a week ago. Well nothing really special in there anyways but here's the main points: 'Columbus' sends him e-mails monthly asking about how it is going. Has also scouts to come, visit and say hi after the game. No plans set for next season yet.

2014_09_12-Ilves-Tappara-0135-e1417692727164.jpg

In other words he has quite good potential career path laid in front of him for the next season. Either Finnish league with his current loan team Ilves (first-choice starter in shared duty environment), AHL in Northern America or even perhaps KHL action with his main club Jokerit who currently employ two former previous NHL goaltenders Helenius and Karlsson.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I have this weird feeling he's going to be a breakout goalie in the NHL in his late 20's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad