Proposal: Jonathon Blum

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Hey all, I wanted to post this here as opposed to the trade board because I feel like there's a better chance for rational discussion.

Realistically speaking what would it take from Ottawa to take Blum off your hands? Ottawa has a plethora of LHD, but we lack in RHD in the system and we could use someone that might potentially replace Gonchar moving forward.

Blum has come into rough times over the last season and a half (not trying to diminish his value...I know he's going to be a stud and Nashvlle is high on him) and I was wondering if maybe a change of scenery would help. I think with his skating ability he would fit into MacLean's system very well and help out on the back-line offensive for Ottawa immediately and moving forward.

I was thinking of a package maybe involving Stephane Da Costa and Mark Stone/Matt Puempel. I know skilled forwards have typically been pretty tough for Nashville of late and these are two of the more skilled prospects/NHL ready player we have. Honestly I feel like Da Costa should be playing in the NHL...I have no idea why his leash is so short in Ottawa but his 2 way game has come along and the reality is that he's not going to beat out Zibanejad/Turris/Spezza moving forward. When he was up this year he was our most creative centre his vision and hands are so great and he's actually pretty gritty for a small guy. Puempel, if he makes the NHL, will be a pure sniper. He was mentioned as the best pure goalscorer of his draft year.

So anyway...

Stephane Da Costa + Mark Stone/Matt Puempel

for

Jonathon Blum

Do you see value in this or would Ottawa need to add?

Cheers.

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Hey all, I wanted to post this here as opposed to the trade board because I feel like there's a better chance for rational discussion.

Realistically speaking what would it take from Ottawa to take Blum off your hands? Ottawa has a plethora of LHD, but we lack in RHD in the system and we could use someone that might potentially replace Gonchar moving forward.

Blum has come into rough times over the last season and a half (not trying to diminish his value...I know he's going to be a stud and Nashvlle is high on him) and I was wondering if maybe a change of scenery would help. I think with his skating ability he would fit into MacLean's system very well and help out on the back-line offensive for Ottawa immediately and moving forward.

I was thinking of a package maybe involving Stephane Da Costa and Mark Stone/Matt Puempel. I know skilled forwards have typically been pretty tough for Nashville of late and these are two of the more skilled prospects/NHL ready player we have. Honestly I feel like Da Costa should be playing in the NHL...I have no idea why his leash is so short in Ottawa but his 2 way game has come along and the reality is that he's not going to beat out Zibanejad/Turris/Spezza moving forward. When he was up this year he was our most creative centre his vision and hands are so great and he's actually pretty gritty for a small guy. Puempel, if he makes the NHL, will be a pure sniper. He was mentioned as the best pure goalscorer of his draft year.

So anyway...

Stephane Da Costa + Mark Stone/Matt Puempel

for

Jonathon Blum

Do you see value in this or would Ottawa need to add?

Cheers.
Not being terribly familiar with the prospects, it's tough to gauge. I liked what I saw out of Da Costa at times last season (haven't caught any Sens games this season).

This sounds like more forwards for our bottom 6 than help for our top 6, which is what we really need, though I tend not to be part of the group that thinks Blum is a piece that will bring that kind of return.

My best guess, you probably wouldn't need to add much, if at all. I think Blum is pretty much a bust at this point, and probably not in our long-term plans.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
In my opinion, this would sound reasonable but we already have a surplus of 2 way forwards. I think Blum will be packaged with others for something bigger.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Da Costa is a top 6 or AHL type guy. Very talented, great vision, great hands and seems to create offensive opportunities whenever he is on the ice. On top of which I find that he would be pretty protected from needing to do much boardwork in Nashville which addresses his biggest weakness (IMO) his strength.

Would love to see Ottawa go out and try to pull the trigger on something like this. Da Costa + Puempel for Blum would be ideal for both teams.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Da Costa is a top 6 or AHL type guy. Very talented, great vision, great hands and seems to create offensive opportunities whenever he is on the ice. On top of which I find that he would be pretty protected from needing to do much boardwork in Nashville which addresses his biggest weakness (IMO) his strength.

Would love to see Ottawa go out and try to pull the trigger on something like this. Da Costa + Puempel for Blum would be ideal for both teams.

Roughly 30% of our team now consists of waiver claims. I think we'd be looking for quality now at this point.

No offense though, still love the #SenaPreds.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville

I don't get to see enough of you guys, so if this is totally off I apologize, but could we do a Blum and Silfverberg swap? I know Z is untouchable (with good reason), but I don't think Silver is quite as valued.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The Preds do not need a project, period. If its not a top 6 NHL proven player we should pass. For that type player we could package Blum with picks and another prodpect or our broke ass top six players. The time for losing our developed players for nothing must end.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The Preds do not need a project, period. If its not a top 6 NHL proven player we should pass. For that type player we could package Blum with picks and another prodpect or our broke ass top six players. The time for losing our developed players for nothing must end.
Does Blum really have that much value?. 4th professional season, showed flashes two season ago, but can barely stick as a 7th d-man at this point, and has been passed by Ellis, Josi, and now Bartley. I just don't see Blum being able to fetch a legit top 6 forward unless we include another decent prospect and a high draft pick, which could well be counter-productive.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Does Blum really have that much value?. 4th professional season, showed flashes two season ago, but can barely stick as a 7th d-man at this point, and has been passed by Ellis, Josi, and now Bartley. I just don't see Blum being able to fetch a legit top 6 forward unless we include another decent prospect and a high draft pick, which could well be counter-productive.

Preds fans still think "but he was a first round pick! he's got value!"

by this point, he should have stuck in the NHL, but has been in and out of the lineup due to inconsistency. He looks great at times, he looks terrible at times.

Thomas Hickey went fourth overall...and do you know what the Kings got from NYI for him? Nothing. He was on waivers.

Blum might be packaged for something meaningful, but he's not a centerpiece at this point. As Trig said in another thread, I think we sent the wrong sweetener to Toronto in order to get them to take Lombardi.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Preds fans still think "but he was a first round pick! he's got value!"

by this point, he should have stuck in the NHL, but has been in and out of the lineup due to inconsistency. He looks great at times, he looks terrible at times.

Thomas Hickey went fourth overall...and do you know what the Kings got from NYI for him? Nothing. He was on waivers.

Blum might be packaged for something meaningful, but he's not a centerpiece at this point. As Trig said in another thread, I think we sent the wrong sweetener to Toronto in order to get them to take Lombardi.

I am very, very familiar with Hickey, lol. We were not terribly thrilled with that as Lombardi's first splash in his first real draft. And, I very much agree with you.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i personally feel trotz has mismanaged the **** out of blum. if we trade him, he will be a top 4 defenseman somewhere. trade all the old turds before the young guys.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
:sarcasm:
i personally feel trotz has mismanaged the **** out of blum. if we trade him, he will be a top 4 defenseman somewhere. trade all the old turds before the young guys.

He could be a second pair guy that runs the PP for another team but his size hurts im. His size has been a big factor the last couple years here too. We have the undersized Ellis that is noticablly better than Blum so hes limited here. Alone he will not get the help we need so additional pieces are needed to make a deal.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
:sarcasm:

He could be a second pair guy that runs the PP for another team but his size hurts im. His size has been a big factor the last couple years here too. We have the undersized Ellis that is noticablly better than Blum so hes limited here. Alone he will not get the help we need so additional pieces are needed to make a deal.

blum was our best defenseman alot of nights his rookie season. that says alot about the guy. its just my opinion, but i feel we haven't developed him as great as we could have. blum's number 1 problem is confidence. trotz is probably the worst for him lol. still dont see why blum would be sat over hannan, gill, and some nights ellis.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
blum was our best defenseman alot of nights his rookie season. that says alot about the guy. its just my opinion, but i feel we haven't developed him as great as we could have. blum's number 1 problem is confidence. trotz is probably the worst for him lol. still dont see why blum would be sat over hannan, gill, and some nights ellis.

How is it Trotz's fault that he has terrible gap control and is weak along the boards? Or that his decision making is something you can actually watch on his face?

Blum had a good streak on a stacked blueline playing sheltered minutes, but he's been mostly bad since. It was a project draft pick that hasn't panned out.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Blum when he plays on instinct is incredible, it's when he tries to force things to slow down that he makes mistakes. Offensively, he's got incredible vision and probably breaks the puck out better than any of our defensemen on a quick transition. Give him too much time though, and he'll try to make an unbelievable play that never works. He's never going to be good along the boards, but I've not noticed his gap control being that much of an issue, not like Hannan anyway.

Blum is the one guy on our team though that can make that long breakout pass that hits a forward in stride.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
How is it Trotz's fault that he has terrible gap control and is weak along the boards? Or that his decision making is something you can actually watch on his face?

Blum had a good streak on a stacked blueline playing sheltered minutes, but he's been mostly bad since. It was a project draft pick that hasn't panned out.

There are very few draft picks that are not projects. This is one reason DP has picked so many D over the years our system is good at development od D and goalies. Yes Trotz system has a role in that. Other teams in the league are just the opposite they develop forwards and can't develop D.

Maybe Blums value has expired he will not draw a 1st in a trade. But he does still have a chance to play in the league. Hes really done here so now is the time to get any value out of him that the team can.

bananaslug

Oct 2, 2009

Good streak on sheltered minutes?
You realize he was on the d pair that shut down the sedins in the playoffs right?

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I want Z real bad. He's awesome. But I wouldn't mind Silvferberg either. Still believe Blum packaged up could pull a top 6 return for us

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I want Z real bad. He's awesome. But I wouldn't mind Silvferberg either. Still believe Blum packaged up could pull a top 6 return for us

Only if we're throwing in a 1st or a good prospect. Zibanejad or Silfverberg are pipe dreams. Would be like the Sens asking us for Austin Watson in exchange for a package based around Erik Condra.

bananaslug

Oct 2, 2009

He could. The problem is poile is never going to take any sort of risk to improve the team for fear that it could look bad on him, so he'll stick to picking up 3rd and 4th liners off waivers.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
The way we are handling Blum is eerily similar to Klein. I think he will turn it around. He can and should be on the trade market, and I do think he still has near 1st round value actually or equivocal higher-end forward prospect value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad