Speculation: Jonathan Toews to Winnipeg

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Obviously the Hawks will do everything to keep him, and all things being equal (the hawks are still a top team), it's most likely IMO that he retires a Hawk.

I think it all comes down to where our two respective teams are in 2015. If we're not legitimate contenders, then I don't think he gives it a second thought. I think our only shot is if somehow by 2015 we are knocking on the door, and somehow the Hawks take some massive steps backwards. Not looking like a huge likelihood there IMO.

Blackie Dammit

proud flatlander
Jun 27, 2011
Interlake
I don't see it happening but after his comments during the lockout does anyone actually feel that he would be loyal to any ownership group? He will go where the money is. If the Jets or any other team throw up huge cash he will sign there.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I don't see it happening but after his comments during the lockout does anyone actually feel that he would be loyal to any ownership group? He will go where the money is. If the Jets or any other team throw up huge cash he will sign there.

Even if this is true, and I've never met Toews so I won't judge his character, Chicago has the option to give him an 8 year deal as opposed to 7. He's going to get paid big, I imagine it'll be with Chicago.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
I think that Toews would love to play here but Chicago would never give him up.

Plus we would have to give up a lot to get him.

UFA is all that needs to happen.

But I doubt this will. Every team is locking up their key assets long term before they get to UFA... probably learned from watching Nashville get it wrong.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Imagine how ridiculous our team was if we got everyone from Winnipeg and the Manitoba surrounding area

Too bad it will never happen, but theoretically for fun:

Alex Steen - Jon Toews - Mike Richards
Dustin Penner - Travis Zajac - Colin Wilson
Cody McLeod - Darren Helm - Jordin Tootoo
Frazer McLaren - Ryan White - Colton Orr
(Arron Asham, Cody Eakin, Scott Glennie)

Travis Hamonic - Duncan Keith
Ian White - Justin Falk
Cam Barker - Bryce Salvador
(Colby Robak, Dylan McIlrath)

James Reimer
Chet Pickard

Goalies and D are a little weak, but that would be one big mean tough team. haha maybe one day the NHL will change to only using players from your own area. :laugh::nod:

It's all pretty weak. I hope that never happens :)

Penner on your second line? Barf
Alex Steen a 1LW? Barf
Jordin Tootoo a 3rd liner? Barf
Pretty much all D below top 2? Barf
Goalies? Barf.

This could be a lottery team. Thank God this isn't realistic :)

On topic though? People who say Toews won't be coming here are pretty confident. However, we don't know what will happen with the Jets or Blackhawks in the next few years. Maybe Jonathan wins another cup there and feels like he's done all he can there. Maybe the Jets become a legit contender. Perhaps he wants to be back closer to home and comes to help the Jets win the cup. Not saying its a good possibility, but saying it's not going to happen is not based on any fact.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Might not hurt to bring his brother into the organization to help increase the odds of #19 joining the Jets as a UFA (albeit however slim they are).

crusher

Feb 28, 2008
Aaron Rome

Imagine how ridiculous our team was if we got everyone from Winnipeg and the Manitoba surrounding area

Ian White - Justin Falk

James Reimer
Chet Pickard

Goalies and D are a little weak, but that would be one big mean tough team. haha maybe one day the NHL will change to only using players from your own area. :laugh::nod:

You forgot Aaron Rome (defence, Dallas)

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
I don't think a hypothetical 2ish years in the future is really something to hinge one's hopes on. Much better to try and get a 1C via the waiver wire.

BobEssensa

Jun 16, 2011
If he reaches free agency, I can see rumors leaking from people close to his family that he'd be interested in returning to Winnipeg. He'll probably even meet with True North, who will offer him the moon. Of course, the Blackhawks will match, and he'll stay in Chicago.

TL;DR - He'll use the rumor of returning home to Winnipeg and playing for the Jets as leverage to squeeze more money out of the Hawks.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

Ian White - Justin Falk

James Reimer
Chet Pickard

Hi, Lightning fan in peace. I was lurking to find out news on Byfuglien, but I'm glad I found this thread/post :laugh: I did an experiment in the summer where I made an imaginary league that put players on the team that is closest to their hometown geographically. Let's just say I'm glad the Jets don't put out this lineup every night:

Sharp - Toews - Getzlaf
Richards - E. Staal - Eberle
Hartnell - J. Staal - Zajac
Morrow - Stoll - Penner

Keith - M. Staal
Barker - White
Mikkelsson - Chorney

Dubnyk
Reimer

The whole thing was a fun little experiment, and yes I had a lot of spare time. The other teams were pretty stacked, especially Vancouver, Toronto and Boston :laugh:

Good luck with the rest of your season!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The reason why I think this might happen is because Toews' entire family is still in Winnipeg, he spent a ton of time here during the lockout. I think Toews might seriously be considering playing in Winnipeg and being close to his friends and family.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
The reason why I think this might happen is because Toews' entire family is still in Winnipeg, he spent a ton of time here during the lockout. I think Toews might seriously be considering playing in Winnipeg and being close to his friends and family.

While its true that the Hawks will match and raise anything we throw at Toews, as well as the fact they can sign him for a longer contract as he's their product, it terrifies me how much he'd be revered if he did come back home. People think Ladd, Buff, Bogo are popular... That would be nothing compared to Toewsmania.

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
While its true that the Hawks will match and raise anything we throw at Toews, as well as the fact they can sign him for a longer contract as he's their product, it terrifies me how much he'd be revered if he did come back home. People think Ladd, Buff, Bogo are popular... That would be nothing compared to Toewsmania.

If he came here and won a cup there would be a Toews statue at Portage & Main

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

Jon Toews could command an entire local army if he so chooses upon a return to Winnipeg to play for the Jets. We could meet at his community club, then make a quick portage to Toews Lake, and then from that point exit via Hudson Bay and then onto the European Continent and beyond, where all of their land and women will soon become our own!

Last edited:

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
Jon Toews could command an entire local army if he so chooses upon a return to Winnipeg to play for the Jets. We could meet at his community club, then make a quick portage to Toews Lake, and then from that point exit via Hudson Bay and onto then the European Continent and beyond, where all of their land and women will soon become our own!

greatest post of all time gumper

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1