Proposal: Jonathan Toews (CHI) and a Forth Round Pick for WPG 1st Round Pick and Michael Eyssimont

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
They only have $2M in capspace. They could use LTIR space but I don’t know the injuries are lik in thrm returning.

Chicago needs to retain 50%
have another retain another 25%
even then they aren’t getting a 1st in return for Toews.

Toews is a depth bottom 6.
we have more then 2million in cap space right now since we have 3 call ups counting against the cap as well as the 3 players on ir, once players get healthy and we can send the call ups down we will have more then 5 million and our projected cap space at the deadline is 8.5 million which should go up even more by then

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Any insights into why he is a minus player this year? Is he still good on the PK?
Because the Hwks are terrible. He is now with Kane who plays D optional. Before that he was saddled with some AHL level talent. So hard to tell the difference as to why but I suspect the guy just doesn't care so much on t his particular team the way it is constructed. I wouldn't be either and that is why Kane is so disinterested (though he said this past weekend he needs to talk to his agent and the Hawks regarding his future soon). So there may be some things moving soon but I suspect closer to TD when the cap is more manageable for trade partners.

But getting back to PK, it is really hard to tell since our PK is 23rd ranked in league and trending down. I think he is fine there and driving the 2nd/3rd line. But anything above that is too much for him currently. He is still spending time in front of the net too but just not as quick as he needs to be with the league currently a speed league. As I stated, 2nd would be plenty but a 3rd would don't surprise me. And for that he just might stay.....a 3rd.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Two things (just my opinion) and I’m a lifelong Hawk fan.
For a 1st rd pick, if Toews wanted to go there (other places are rumored to have interest) keep the prospect and skip the 4th. And Hawks retain 50%.
You’re getting a decent 2nd, very good 3rd line C. Great at faceoffs and PK who knows how to win.

Also, IIRC Chicago doesn’t have a 4th until 2025.
Jets already have a very good 2nd and third line centres in pld and Lowry therefore not worth it for jets.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Any Toews deal done today probably needs to have a 1st to the Hawks, and at least a 3rd or 4th to a third team for the whole "double retention" deal. Maybe more. Might be less if its closer to the deadline and teams needing forward depth start plugging holes. Today I think Chicago would be asking for a 1st though, and with double retention it would be.

To Chicago
Winnipeg's 1st
50% retention on Toews (5.25M)

To Arizona/Buffalo/etc
Winnipeg's 3rd (2.625M retention)

To Winnipeg
Jonathan Toews (2.626M Cap Hit)

Is Toews worth a 1st and a 3rd? I would suggest not in this years draft, but somebody probably pays that price and regrets it later.

I question why the Jets though, aside from the hometown connection. Surely there are larger holes on the Jets roster than 2C/3C. Might be a good deal for the Avalanche or the Oilers to consider though, both of those teams could use a veteran middle six C.

• Haha
Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
He is a mediocre skater now. He doesn't have his speed of youth. He is decent with FOs and puck retrieval. Scoring he is just OK with. Hence the 3c comment. And I am a Hawks fan.

Eh.. I would say slightly above average. He can still very much keep up with the play. And let's not underrate him (which is easy to do on this board). Decent at face-offs? Dude is one of the top face-off man in the league. He is still a stud at the dot. He is around a 60 point pace right now so his scoring is actually a positive this season. His defense on the other hand is not. But I think if he goes home and in a playoff hunt (especially) I would not be surprised if his "GAF meter" go up.

Reactions: hawksrule

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Jets get a proven center with cup winning experience playing for his home team, giving them a stacked center depth to make a good playoff run.

Chicago gets another first round pick for their rebuild and a decent prospect. Toews is at the end of his contract and on a non playoff team so it is good for both him and the Blackhawks.
Why is Winnipeg giving up a 1st round pick for a guy with a massive cap hit who is a shadow of his formal self -- not to mention a low cost 4th line player. Chicago is going to be lucky to get a 2nd.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why is Winnipeg giving up a 1st round pick for a guy with a massive cap hit who is a shadow of his formal self -- not to mention a low cost 4th line player. Chicago is going to be lucky to get a 2nd.

Supply/Demand on trade deadline day is something you forgot? All it takes is 5 teams or more who want to add a center and the price goes up.

Market sets the price, not the fans. And it's premature cause there is a lot of hockey to be played from now till deadline. Might be some moves made from now till then but most of the major ones will be closer to the deadline.

I remember last season where fans on teams who wanted to buy, tried to say it will be a buyers market. :laugh:. Don't like the price? Stay put and make depth trades

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Eh.. I would say slightly above average. He can still very much keep up with the play. And let's not underrate him (which is easy to do on this board). Decent at face-offs? Dude is one of the top face-off man in the league. He is still a stud at the dot. He is around a 60 point pace right now so his scoring is actually a positive this season. His defense on the other hand is not. But I think if he goes home and in a playoff hunt (especially) I would not be surprised if his "GAF meter" go up.
Doubt it. Multiple players had a chance to go to wpg no one takes it.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Supply/Demand on trade deadline day is something you forgot? All it takes is 5 teams or more who want to add a center and the price goes up.

Market sets the price, not the fans. And it's premature cause there is a lot of hockey to be played from now till deadline. Might be some moves made from now till then but most of the major ones will be closer to the deadline.

I remember last season where fans on teams who wanted to buy, tried to say it will be a buyers market. :laugh:. Don't like the price? Stay put and make depth trades

Toews has a full NMC. He goes wherever he wants. There won't be a bidding war.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I did forget about that NMC. That will affect his trade value yes. Depends on how many teams he is willing to open that up for. If he opens it up for 3-5 teams and most of those teams are interested, his value may be stable. Then the cap hit becomes a factor in terms of if a 3rd team can help with retaining and if the acquiring team wants to add Toews and other adds.

Lots of factors

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Where he wants to go won't jibe with who can afford the cap hit. They may as well just make the burden of finding a way out all on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00