Prospect Info: Jonathan Lekkerimaki - Orebro, SHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Lekkerimaki siting for 6 months is not good. I expect him to be here in NA or if he gets the go, play in the world championships
Working out and practicing for 6 months at the age is not a bad thing. He’s still a kid and having the time to get the body to the NA grind is good. The season is much more intense over here with way more games.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The unfortunate reality is that Lekkerimaki would benefit far more from games down the stretch and into the playoffs in Abbotsford, than playing and practicing and waiting for the World Hockey Championships.

Canucks need to get him to Abbotsford, with the understanding that if he gets named to the Swedish team, they'd send him back.

Reactions: wetcoast

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Alvin noted in a recent interview that the Swedish world championship head coach reached out to him about Lekerimmaki, and that the previous plan was for him to be assigned to Abbotsford. Reading between the lines, if Lerimakki isn't assigned to Abbotsford in the coming days or week, then it is highly probable that Alvin knows he will be named to the Swedish team.
WC and then a nice long summer of strength training would be great. great exposure to a high level of competition without the risk of the AHL goon squad. I think there's a decent chance he bypasses the AHL altogether next year.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
The unfortunate reality is that Lekkerimaki would benefit far more from games down the stretch and into the playoffs in Abbotsford, than playing and practicing and waiting for the World Hockey Championships.

Canucks need to get him to Abbotsford, with the understanding that if he gets named to the Swedish team, they'd send him back.
Way higher quality of competition in the WC than he will see in the AHL.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Way higher quality of competition in the WC than he will see in the AHL.
Possibly. But the World Hockey Champions aren't scheduled to take place until May 10th and wind up on May 26.

Even if Sweden were to get all the way to finals, how many games is that? Probably no more than 10 or so....and as a 19-year old rookie, how much ice-time will Lekerimakki even get? Playing eight minutes a game in a tournament still two months from now, really isn't going to do him much good at all.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Working out and practicing for 6 months at the age is not a bad thing. He’s still a kid and having the time to get the body to the NA grind is good. The season is much more intense over here with way more games.
Him being a kid is kinda my point.

I kind of hope he doesn’t go to the world championships. I doubt he sees any considerable amount of ice time and it’s 2 months away.

getting him a couple of reps here in NA will give him a head start for next season. We have the Sedins here

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
To the people saying that he needs to play games to improve how do you square that with players who benefit from the lower number of games played and more practice and gym time that the NCAA provides?
The reality is players that end up playing three or four years in the NCAA, weren't that high draft picks to begin with. And those who are high picks usually always leave early. So 'late bloomers' like McDonough, Sasson or McWard they can benefit from 'practicing' instead of 'playing'.

But Lekerimakki has already played a full season the Sweden's top professional league. And obviously he's going to be attending Canucks training camp in September. If he's doesn't come to Vancouver until then, he's coming into NA hockey absolutely 'cold turkey'.

So anything he can do to prepare himself for the grind of NA hockey on a smaller rink, will help him far more than practicing and playing pickup games for the next two months in Sweden. It's a 'no-brainer' really.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Him being a kid is kinda my point.

I kind of hope he doesn’t go to the world championships. I doubt he sees any considerable amount of ice time and it’s 2 months away.

getting him a couple of reps here in NA will give him a head start for next season. We have the Sedins here
I don’t know, there is benefits to playing that level. He can see what level the NHL pros are at.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Why not both? Maybe give him a couple games in Vancouver while waiting for the WHC. He should be ready for spot duty in the NHL. Not like we have an overabundance of Top 6 talent.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Possibly. But the World Hockey Champions aren't scheduled to take place until May 10th and wind up on May 26.

Even if Sweden were to get all the way to finals, how many games is that? Probably no more than 10 or so....and as a 19-year old rookie, how much ice-time will Lekerimakki even get? Playing eight minutes a game in a tournament still two months from now, really isn't going to do him much good at all.
I don't see why having 7 weeks to train and work out with the national team before the tournament is a bad thing, it will give him a chance to add some size and strength.

He went from being a low ice time SHL rookie at the beginning of the year to the teams best forward by the end of the season...and he was the MVP of the WJC. I think there's a good chance he ends up as one of their more important offensive players if they take him. It is also a good chance to see how he competes against high level NHL talent which may be useful as they look at 2024/5 roster construction.

Reactions: Lindgren

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
When do you think this kid makes the jump to the canucks? October? Who else do you think will make the jump in October?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't see why having 7 weeks to train and work out with the national team before the tournament is a bad thing, it will give him a chance to add some size and strength.

He went from being a low ice time SHL rookie at the beginning of the year to the teams best forward by the end of the season...and he was the MVP of the WJC. I think there's a good chance he ends up as one of their more important offensive players if they take him. It is also a good chance to see how he competes against high level NHL talent which may be useful as they look at 2024/5 roster construction.
Sweden will have their pick of NHL players who miss the playoffs, as well as the best of the litter from the SHL for May's World Championship.

Given the competition, there an absolutely 'zero chance' that Lekerimakki becomes 'one of their more important offensive players'. If they pick him, he'll be nothing more than a third or fourth liner, or maybe even just 'injury insurance' in the press-box.

I get the fact that every kid in Sweden who ever laced up skates wants to play for the national team one day. But comparing that experience with what Lekerimakki would gain by playing in Abbotsford, for the rest of the season, isn't really a matter of any debate.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Sweden will have their pick of NHL players who miss the playoffs, as well as the best of the litter from the SHL for May's World Championship.

Given the competition, there an absolutely 'zero chance' that Lekerimakki becomes 'one of their more important offensive players'. If they pick him, he'll be nothing more than a third or fourth liner, or maybe even just 'injury insurance' in the press-box.

I get the fact that every kid in Sweden who ever laced up skates wants to play for the national team one day. But comparing that experience with what Lekerimakki would gain by playing in Abbotsford, for the rest of the season, isn't really a matter of any debate.

Yeah Lekkerimakki's not going to see serious ice time. They'd rather give it to SHL vets even if all 99 of their NHL players decline, and Sweden is fairly serious about winning the thing.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022

Go back and look at their roster from previous years, usually less than half the players are NHLers. They absolutely do NOT have "their pick" of guys that aren't in the playoffs.

There were only 2 Swedish players in the SHL who scored more goals than Lekkerimaki this season, and they sure as shit got a lot more ice time than he did. The idea that he has "zero chance" at being a key offensive contributor at this tournament is ridiculous.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Yeah Lekkerimakki's not going to see serious ice time. They'd rather give it to SHL vets even if all 99 of their NHL players decline, and Sweden is fairly serious about winning the thing.
If he makes the team, he'll get all the ice time he earns. so far this year he's pushed his way to the front of the line at the WJC and did the same with Orebro.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
If he makes the team, he'll get all the ice time he earns. so far this year he's pushed his way to the front of the line at the WJC and did the same with Orebro.
I think there is a (for good and bad) bit of a hierarchy system in place for WCs.

Players that have tenure will start with the better opportunities.

I would not be surprised with 3rd line and PP2 deployment to start the tournament. To me this is perfectly fine.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Alvin said he will play for Sweden if he gets selected. If not he will work on Abbotsford.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Some clarification here as it's very much needed going by all the comments:

Him being named to the next Swedish National Team roster doesn't mean he'll play at Worlds.

Sweden will play 7 games spread throughout 3 events, before Worlds. Between each event some players will get cut and some (who weren't available before) added.

Lekkerimäki would be named to the first event, then he'll have to keep earning spots in the future rosters, like Leo Carlsson did last year.

The events:

15-19 April: 2 games against Finland, in Finland.
22-25 April: 2 games against Finland, in Sweden.
30 April - 5 May: Czech Hockey Games (featured Czechia, Finland, Sweden, & Switzerland).

Before the first event there'll also be practices for the players going to it, so his time off would be rather short.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I think there is a (for good and bad) bit of a hierarchy system in place for WCs.

Players that have tenure will start with the better opportunities.

I would not be surprised with 3rd line and PP2 deployment to start the tournament. To me this is perfectly fine.
Sure, if he makes it at all, they could start him there. or he might start lower, or he may have instant chemistry with one of their top centres and plays higher up. Who knows. Regardless of where he starts, his play will dictate his deployment and if the development curve continues to point up, I think he'll have a successful tournament.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Like someone mentioned earlier, this "kid" is 5'11" and 170 lbs . If he is in the AHL they better have someone to beat the shit out of anyone who cheap shots him. Because the AHL is full nasty people. That said, I will make the 25 minute drive just to watch him play if he comes to Abby.

Reactions: Chiripa20

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The sooner he gets off the big ice the better.

Would be a lot of value in playing in the AHL as they approach playoffs and into some post season games. Learning how little time and space the smaller ice affords would be a good step for him as he goes into the off season to get stronger.

That said he is still a teenager so whatever they decide he will get value in it. Watching Quinn Hughes play the Worlds is what cemented my position that he was gonna be a special player and they didn't play him that much and i think he knew it then too so that was a valuable confidence booster to have Pat Kane pumping your tires. Pre draft i know but Hughes was also a late birthday so he was almost in draft +1 territory.

Selfishly i would love to go watch him and EP2 in Abby. Looks like they are getting healthy at the right time too. Could go on a bit of a run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad