Jonathan Lekkerimaki - Arrived in Abbotsford

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Anyone watch the game with a report?

Might go out to Abby on Wednesday if he's playing.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

From Canucks Army:
Jonathan Lekkerimäki’s debut may not have been overflowing with highlights, but he played a simple and effective game. He focused on his defensive responsibilities and showed signs of growing comfort as the game progressed. Despite being limited in ice time due to numerous penalties, there was a sense that he could have made a bigger impact, given more time to shine.
Abby Report

That report tells us nothing about Brisebois and Wolanin. A big contribution from both of those two as they try to ramp up after a long time off with injuries will be key, I think, to Abby doing anything at all in the playoffs.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Focused on #44 throughout the AHL Network game. My impressions.....Lekkerimaki was better along the wall than I thought he might be, given his youth and size. And he was playing on a line with Max Sasson, who's probably the Canucks top AHL center.

And he made a few creative plays in the neutral to spring some breaks......but appeared to be struggling at times with the lack of space and time. But that's just part of the adjustment to the smaller rink. When you get the puck, there's usually no time to carry it. It's all about giving and going to space.

But he's a creative player who'll figure it out. However it looks like he could be available to Abbotsford for only the remainder of the regular season, and might head back to Sweden before the playoffs start.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I would love to see a tournament between the top teams of the AHL, KHL, SHL and NLA
until Russia and Putin get their asses handed to them in the Ukraine, the KHL and Russian players are not going in any international tournaments. f*** everyone who has any sympathy for this genocide.

He seriously reminds of EP40 in terms that he does not seem enthusiastic for these interviews. Answers were as short as he could make them ... but have no idea how comfortable he is with English ....

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
So encouraging to see Lek actually getting chances and not looking useless away from the puck.

The fact he's getting shots and chances means it's only a matter of time until he starts to bury those looks with that elite shot he's got.

Reactions: Andy Dufresne

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
After packing in on the Vancouver Canucks game last night after period one, I shifted to the Abbotsford Canucks game on the AHL Network.

My impressions, Lekerimakki was a force in the offensive end and had at least four glorious chances, but is just snake-bitten right now.

But on the positive side, in the past some posters were concerned about Lek's foot speed. But nothing to worry about. The kid has blazing speed through the neutral zone, and hits the holes at top end speed. And he was just as impressive on the defensive end, catching guys from behind and stripping them of the puck.

And he gets his shot off just so damn quick. A couple of lasers were just a split-second late and got blocked. But sooner or later he's going to get 'open looks' when he adjusts to the speed and physicality of smaller ice.

And Colliton has him stationed along the half-wall on the PP, where he was so lethal in Europe. Only a matter of time until he starts filling the net imo.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
After packing in on the Vancouver Canucks game last night after period one, I shifted to the Abbotsford Canucks game on the AHL Network.

My impressions, Lekerimakki was a force in the offensive end and had at least four glorious chances, but is just snake-bitten right now.

But on the positive side, in the past some posters were concerned about Lek's foot speed. But nothing to worry about. The kid has blazing speed through the neutral zone, and hits the holes at top end speed. And he was just as impressive on the defensive end, catching guys from behind and stripping them of the puck.

And he gets his shot off just so damn quick. A couple of lasers were just a split-second late and got blocked. But sooner or later he's going to get 'open looks' when he adjusts to the speed and physicality of smaller ice.

And Colliton has him stationed along the half-wall on the PP, where he was so lethal in Europe. Only a matter of time until he starts filling the net imo.
compare this to where the comments were a year ago ....

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Per 2021's NHLe, the SHL is a stronger league than the AHL:

View attachment 843042

That said, the smaller ice is going to be an adjustment for Lekkerimaki. Quicker decision making required.

NHLe's are literally worthless diarrhea.

The AHL is a much tougher league than the SHL right now. It isn't close.

From Canucks Army:

Abby Report

That report tells us nothing about Brisebois and Wolanin. A big contribution from both of those two as they try to ramp up after a long time off with injuries will be key, I think, to Abby doing anything at all in the playoffs.

Strongly disagree with that report.

He looked totally overwhelmed in the two games against Colorado, wasn't involved in a single scoring chance and had 8-10 turnovers in the two games where he got the puck and took too long with it and ended up getting swamped by opposition players.

His 3rd game against Manitoba was much, much better and he found a few openings and got a couple decent shots away, and then he mostly blended into the scenery in his 4th game.

Overall it's been a bit disappointing. You were hoping he would really hit the ground running at this level but that hasn't happened and he looks quite thin/weak and based on what I've seen so far I'd be very surprised if he was in the mix to make the NHL team next year. Looks like he'll need substantial seasoning at this level.

Reactions: Lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
NHLe's are literally worthless diarrhea.

The AHL is a much tougher league than the SHL right now. It isn't close.

Strongly disagree with that report.

He looked totally overwhelmed in the two games against Colorado, wasn't involved in a single scoring chance and had 8-10 turnovers in the two games where he got the puck and took too long with it and ended up getting swamped by opposition players.

His 3rd game against Manitoba was much, much better and he found a few openings and got a couple decent shots away, and then he mostly blended into the scenery in his 4th game.

Overall it's been a bit disappointing. You were hoping he would really hit the ground running at this level but that hasn't happened and he looks quite thin/weak and based on what I've seen so far I'd be very surprised if he was in the mix to make the NHL team next year. Looks like he'll need substantial seasoning at this level.
Entirely predictable simply given his age, his production in the SHL, and his draft position. Maybe he'll surprise after a great offseason of training, but it's always seemed overly optimistic to me to think he'd be one of the few who play in the NHL at 20.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He's playing on the top line with Bains and Sasson, and getting oddles of powerplay time, where he's a constant threat on the half wall......and seems to be getting into prime shooting areas with ease.

So much for the worry-warts who said he shouldn't be rushed into the AHL.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I just hope he stays and doesn’t go back to Sweden for the worlds. The development time he gets at this stage of the season will be incredibly more valuable for him as he prepares for next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad