Jonathan Drouin can be a elite player?

Jonathan Drouin can be a elite player?

• Total voters

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He's not gonna be an elite anything if the Habs don't stop plugging him at center. He's a natural LW.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
On this board yes. If a team picks a bigger player with limited offensive traits (that could still be an effective NHL player) over a sub 6'0" player that eventually turns out to be a good offensive player, people complain that they never take the smaller guy and are stuck in the old days of more physical hockey etc.

Okay. I've missed that. Not sure how that applies to Drouin vs. Barkov though. Barkov is just as skilled if not more.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Easy no from me, but i don't bestow elite level status as generously as many seem to.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
What's your meaning of elite? Don't call me out on this, but I've informed that 61 points is considered elite by a fan base of a player, who I won't say the name of, and I think he can easily hit 61 points so yes.

if 61 points is elite now by new standards he will be elite.

give him a legit centreman he can do it.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He has elite talent. If he gets his head out of his a$$, and puts his game together Yes, I think he can.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
What's your meaning of elite? Don't call me out on this, but I've informed that 61 points is considered elite by a fan base of a player, who I won't say the name of, and I think he can easily hit 61 points so yes.

if 61 points is elite now by new standards he will be elite.

give him a legit centreman he can do it.
I like Viktor Arvidsson and Ryan O'Reilly as much as the next guy and they are elite in some aspects of their games. Our own Nylander some elite aspects as well but I don't think anyone calls them elite players.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
This year will be the year we find out with him having a full season at his natural wing spot for the first time.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Yes he can. Ppg season is not out of the question. Dont have the horses next to him to put up 100 points imo.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Can he be? Yes

Will he on MTL? Very likely no.

I think he has the skillset if given the right situation he can be an elite player, in other words - playing with a strong 2 way C and good PMD

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I voted no. I think he has the talent, you can see it. Perhaps if he played with a guy that could do most of the decision making for him, but IMO he plays a little bit selfish. We all have played with that guy.

It looks to me like he doesn't have the right attitude for team success. He doesn't make the little plays enough unless he himself gets an opportunity from it. Just an observation and I don't mean to say he doesn't care about his teammates, he just needs to play a better support role.

If he played with a top 5 C in the league I think he could show a lot more, but I still don't think he would be a go to guy for most teams in any situation other than the power play.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
One of the worst iq:skill ratios I've ever seen, elite skill but every time he touches the puck he keeps it exactly long enough to do something stupid.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I voted no. I think he has the talent, you can see it. Perhaps if he played with a guy that could do most of the decision making for him, but IMO he plays a little bit selfish. We all have played with that guy.

It looks to me like he doesn't have the right attitude for team success. He doesn't make the little plays enough unless he himself gets an opportunity from it. Just an observation and I don't mean to say he doesn't care about his teammates, he just needs to play a better support role.

If he played with a top 5 C in the league I think he could show a lot more, but I still don't think he would be a go to guy for most teams in any situation other than the power play.
The problem is for his skillset to be effective he has to have the puck, so in the end he has to be the decision-maker.

Reactions: Sky04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad