Jonathan Bernier

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Hey guys. Oilers fan coming in peace.

I'm just curious on how he's doing at the NHL level. Still have the potential as a starter?

If Quick was injured for the rest of the season, would you be comfortable with him as your starter? Is there another goalie in your system to replace him if he is traded?

Just curious about his situation.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Hey guys. Oilers fan coming in peace.

I'm just curious on how he's doing at the NHL level. Still have the potential as a starter?

If Quick was injured for the rest of the season, would you be comfortable with him as your starter? Is there another goalie in your system to replace him if he is traded?

Just curious about his situation.

He just got in the net for the first time this year tonight Hes not looking great so far but i would be comfortable having him be a starter He needs more work to get sharpe. As far as im concerned we dont have a person to replace him in system. We would have to get someone if we move him.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I honestly don't see tonights loss blamed on bernier he didnt play great but it was more team just sucked not him.

The problem with Bernier tonight was that he was slow and completely unaware of where the puck was on numerous occasions . Most of the time he looked lost or was just going through the motions. The defense around him was awful as well, but Bernier was abysmal out there tonight.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
The problem with Bernier tonight was that he was slow and completely unaware of where the puck was on numerous occasions . Most of the time he looked lost or was just going through the motions. The defense around him was awful as well, but Bernier was abysmal out there tonight.

He let in 4 goals 3 on the pk not his fault Pk needed to be alot better tonight it wasn't. I thought only the one goal was a soft one and his fault. He didnt play well but it was more of a team loss to me. If we had our normal rock soild pk he would have won that game.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I agree that it was a mistake not trading him soon after Quick signed the contract. Everyone knew his days here were numbered, so why take the risk of having him on the team with his head not focused on winning games. The damage has been done when Deano decided to keep him for this season. He will be uninspired and unmotivated. You could argue that Deano wanted to increase his trade value by letting him play as a backup. But guess what, Bernier doesn't give a **** what the Kings will get for him. He just wants a chance to be the starter and he ain't getting that chance here. So there is absolutely no reason for Bernier to play motivated. Deano ****ed up on this one.

Jun 30, 2006
Our Defense is the suck. It's not the goalies, Martinez was garbage and so was Muzzin. Looking forward to seeing Mitchie back.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Spot on. It really showed tonight how long its been since he's seen top level nhl shots.When he's only played a handful of games since last year I kind of expected some rust, but tonight was just bad. I'd be surprised to see him play more than 3 or 4 games this season based on Sutters use of goalies.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Spot on. It really showed tonight how long its been since he's seen top level nhl shots.When he's only played a handful of games since last year I kind of expected some rust, but tonight was just bad. I'd be surprised to see him play more than 3 or 4 games this season based on Sutters use of goalies.

That bad eh? Should I expect him to still pan out as a legit starter?

Thanks for the replies. Brutal on your D, but I didn't mind winning haha

Jun 30, 2006

We're not going to win many games until our defense gets their crap together. Doesn't matter who the goalie is. Quick certainly isn't living up to his new contract status. In fact, NOBODY is playing up to their billing. Anyone piling the whole season Bernier's bad showing tonight, is out to lunch.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
We're not going to win many games until our defense gets their crap together. Doesn't matter who the goalie is. Quick certainly isn't living up to his new contract status. In fact, NOBODY is playing up to their billing. Anyone piling the whole season Bernier's bad showing tonight, is out to lunch.

You really need to change your user handle. I always chuckle when I read it. Might I suggest "BerubenextBrust."

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He has potential, I don't expect him to reach it. If a first rounder really was on the table for him and that deal wasn't taken it was a big blunder. I have been saying things of this extent for quite a while, it's not new that I feel this way.

With him, it's not about talent, because he has the talent. My problem with him is that he lets in an abnormal amount of goals that I'd expect any starting (and most backup) goaltender in this league to stop. It isn't about not having the vision to see the puck, I honestly think it's a lack of focus and possibly even fundamentals. I'm trying not to nitpick, but goal #6 in particular never should have happened and I cannot understand how it did. That is one of numerous times over the past few years where Bernier has not reacted to a shot in any way and had the puck inexplicably fly past him. It is one thing to not be able to get to pucks on difficult shots, it is another to be there and for the puck to go in anyway. That is a massive red flag with regard to his potential as a starting goaltender IMO.

He also doesn't make it easier on himself by demanding trades over a lack of playing time. He has never earned more playing time, nor has he ever put in a performance or effort that screamed of an attempt to win more playing time. My opinion is that if the season started when it was supposed to he'd already be gone, so I'm not going to be too critical of how his situation has been handled, but he should have been traded in the offseason and it was a mistake not to.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
How can anyone base any aspect of their opinion on JB based on a night where he was sent in after JQ was pulled? That means that JQ had a bad night too and so blaming either one of them entirely doesn't make any sense neither does judging JBs overall ability based on last night either.

JB needs has earned and should be getting starts in the NHL as a number one. Once he is given a few games as a starter he will be fine or at least capable of being judged by using a somewhat reasonable sample size.

JB is going to be a very good starter in the NHL, it is just a matter of time.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
How can anyone base any aspect of their opinion on JB based on a night where he was sent in after JQ was pulled? That means that JQ had a bad night too and so blaming either one of them entirely doesn't make any sense neither does judging JBs overall ability based on last night either.

JB needs has earned and should be getting starts in the NHL as a number one. Once he is given a few games as a starter he will be fine or at least capable of being judged by using a somewhat reasonable sample size.

JB is going to be a very good starter in the NHL, it is just a matter of time.

I'm having flashbacks of Jamie Storr... I don't see how Bernier has earned anything. He has to step up in whatever limited action he sees. He has failed to do that for years now. Remember, that's why Quick was called up in the first play ahead of Bernier.

I see more of a sense of entitlement from Bernier and I fail to see the second effort from him to stop pucks. He just sits in his position and hopes the puck hits him. He's not big enough to rely on his size to bail him out. And wasn't he outperformed at the Spengler Cup by Dubnyk? Coincidentally, the same thing happened at the 2008 WJC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad