Jonathan Bernier vs. Leland Irving

Stojanov*

Leland Irving.

Devils Advocate? maybe...

But I do see obvious flaws in Berniers game that are hard to ignore... as an NHL goalie, Irving would be easier to develop into an elite goaltender.

Bernier is great dont get me wrong... and at this point statistically better, but dont overlook the fact that Bernier is on arguably the best team in junior hockey.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Leland Irving.

But I do see obvious flaws in Berniers game that are hard to ignore... as an NHL goalie, Irving would be easier to develop into an elite goaltender.

Bernier is great dont get me wrong... and at this point statistically better, but dont overlook the fact that Bernier is on arguably the best team in junior hockey.

Are you saying Everett wasn't on the best CHL team during the regular season? Lewiston is the hottest team since Feburary. Bernier has looked great in the last two games. It isn't his fault they lost those games. Judging from Irving's stats in the playoffs he looked bad i the WHL playoffs.

Sure Bernier has flaws but only 18 so there's time to fix the them.

Bourque7799

Jun 1, 2006
New England
Leland Irving.

If you've watched any of the Memorial Cup you've seen that the only reason Lewiston has been close in games is because of Bernier. That doesn't take anything away from him just because hes on a good team, being on a good team doesn't mean anything if hes the sole reason why they are in games. Dont get me wrong, I think both are great goaltenders but using the argument that you'd rather have Irving over Bernier because hes on a better team doesn't really fit this situation.

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
Leland Irving.

He has been the 1st star in every Memorial Cup game so far and two of those games were losses for Lewiston. He was the reason why those games were even close. Especially the Vancouver game where it could have easily been 5-1.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Leland Irving.

I love when HF fans make comments like yours and dont back it up. How about letting us in on some of the obvious flaws? Scouts sure havn't found any "obvious" flaws. I'm interested in your take.

Last edited:

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Nicely put.

Everett was a great team before Leland Irving's arrival as a #1. I can vouch for that, having to hate them 8 times a year.

How good would Lewiston be without Bernier? It's like saying Martin Brodeur is on a great team in NJ, but how good would they really be if Scott Clemmenson was their #1?

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Take out the goalies, and Everett blows Lewiston out of the water. But I suppose that can be a matter of opinion. Anyways, I think Bernier might be the best goaltending prospect in hockey right now. I think Price has been horribly overrated from playing solidly in behind a pretty solid team Canada. Montoya is a very good prospect as well, but Bernier's upside is higher, IMO. Irving has benefited from a very good team, but is a solid netminder still. Rask was shaky at WJC and still needs to learn the NA game(easier for goalies, but still an adjustment). All other goalies find themselves in a lower tier from this elite 5, and a case could made that any one of them is the best goaltending prospect in hockey. But my personal opinion has them ranked 1)Bernier, 2)Rask, 3)Irving, 4)Price, 5)Montoya.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
There both good,but Irving blows away Bernier in stats,hard to ignore 11 shutouts in 48 games and .930 Svp. If he didn't have a rough playoff (blame the team) he would be #1 on most lists.

Bernier is better positioning and has a great glove but Irving moves side-to-side like a cat (ala Kipper)

Career CHL stats:

Bernier

GP 132
Wins 60
Svp .907
SO's 4

Irving

GP 129
Wins 80
Svp .928
SO's 17

Irving is better IMO

Drakkar

Apr 8, 2004
Irvine, CA
I think Price has been horribly overrated from playing solidly in behind a pretty solid team Canada.

Maybe, but right now Price is leading the Hamilton Bulldogs within one game of the AHL final, and he has a .926 % save percentage. Not bad at all, and the Hamilton defense isn't that good.

There both good,but Irving blows away Bernier in stats,hard to ignore 11 shutouts in 48 games and .930 Svp. If he didn't have a rough playoff (blame the team) he would be #1 on most lists.

Bernier is better positioning and has a great glove but Irving moves side-to-side like a cat (ala Kipper)

Career CHL stats:

Bernier

GP 132
Wins 60
Svp .907
SO's 4

Irving

GP 129
Wins 80
Svp .928
SO's 17

Irving is better IMO

Those stats are a bigger reflection of Everett's style of play and the fact that the WHL is the lowest scoring of the three leagues. Bernier's stats, while they're lower, are still some of the best in the QMJHL over the past 2 years when he's been a starter.

billbillbill

Jun 8, 2006
Which NHL goalies do these two compare to? I remember reading that Bernier = Potvin, but I don't know much about Irving.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
I like them both but If I had to pick one i'd go with Bernier.

The thing is that Irving seems to have better basic skills and looks like he has a better positionning (though Bernier impressed me during the tournament for that). But Bernier is SO QUICK!!!! he just looks amazing and makes saves he has no business doing.

Bernier's potential is amazing and while they'll probably both have long and successfull career, nad the difference isn'T as clear as some would like to make it sounds, I would still pick Bernier.

GSK*

Take out the goalies, and Everett blows Lewiston out of the water. But I suppose that can be a matter of opinion. Anyways, I think Bernier might be the best goaltending prospect in hockey right now. I think Price has been horribly overrated from playing solidly in behind a pretty solid team Canada. Montoya is a very good prospect as well, but Bernier's upside is higher, IMO. Irving has benefited from a very good team, but is a solid netminder still. Rask was shaky at WJC and still needs to learn the NA game(easier for goalies, but still an adjustment). All other goalies find themselves in a lower tier from this elite 5, and a case could made that any one of them is the best goaltending prospect in hockey. But my personal opinion has them ranked 1)Bernier, 2)Rask, 3)Irving, 4)Price, 5)Montoya.

I respect your personal opinion but you should learn hockey more a bit... Bernier and Irving haven't played against men yet. Carey Price is leading his team to the Calder Cup Final and if the Bulldogs wins, I'm pretty sure Price would be up there for the MVP... Add to that a MVP and Gold Medal at the WJC...and overall talent Price and Rask are not even close to Bernier and Irving...So I can't see why you put those Irving and Bernier ahead of Price... Rask/Price are head and shoulder ahead of Bernier and Irving.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Thats one of the most laughable comments I've ever seen regarding Carey Price. If you think he looked good due to Team Canada you've got something else coming.

He has practically carried the Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL) on his back in the Playoffs, beating the Manitoba Moose, who I might add finished first in their division by a fairly wide margin, and now he is beating his third round opponent.

Carey Price is the best goaltender not in the NHL right now.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
Thats one of the most laughable comments I've ever seen regarding Carey Price. If you think he looked good due to Team Canada you've got something else coming.

He has practically carried the Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL) on his back in the Playoffs, beating the Manitoba Moose, who I might add finished first in their division by a fairly wide margin, and now he is beating his third round opponent.

And calling them just his "third round opponent" doesn't really do them justice, since the Wolves are a high-scoring, run-and-gun team that racked up a league-high 331 goals in the regular season.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
And calling them just his "third round opponent" doesn't really do them justice, since the Wolves are a high-scoring, run-and-gun team that racked up a league-high 331 goals in the regular season.
I'll admit, I was just coming back to post that, as I had forgotten who they were playing against. Haha.

Not to mention in the last two games against this high powered offense which includes three of the leagues top scorers, Price has allowed three goals in two games. Not bad...

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta

Career CHL stats:

Bernier

GP 132
Wins 60
Svp .907
SO's 4

Irving

GP 129
Wins 80
Svp .928
SO's 17

Irving is better IMO
Irving's stats mean absolutely zilch - Everett's backup goaltender (Reekie) had very average stats playing for Regina and those numbers instantly jumped up a ton when he got dealt to Everett (his numbers are essentially identical to Irving's). I think Irving is a solid goaltending prospect but his numbers are very, very deceiving given how strong of a defensive club Everett is.

Lunatik*

i think there is a boatload of young goaltenders out there that could be huge in the NHL... that class includes Bernier and Irving... i think it comes down to a hell of alot more than stats and talent,,, quite frankly the success of a goaltender is measured on success... and if any of those great young goalies end up on a franchise that can't seem to win they won't be looked as favorably upon... plus goaltenders sometimes develop later... remember when Trevor Kidd & Marc Denis were seen as future star goaltenders?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I respect your personal opinion but you should learn hockey more a bit... Bernier and Irving haven't played against men yet. Carey Price is leading his team to the Calder Cup Final and if the Bulldogs wins, I'm pretty sure Price would be up there for the MVP... Add to that a MVP and Gold Medal at the WJC...and overall talent Price and Rask are not even close to Bernier and Irving...So I can't see why you put those Irving and Bernier ahead of Price... Rask/Price are head and shoulder ahead of Bernier and Irving.

:biglaugh: I love it! When Price hadn't played against men it didn't matter, now....:biglaugh:

BTW Your "You don't know hockey" or "You should learn hockey" act is really old and tired. Accusations, assertsions, like that are often that of a person who is in fact the one is insecure about their own opinions. It's call projection. Look it up sometime.

kolanos

Nov 7, 2003
"I haven't seen Irving, but I choose Bernier in a heart beat..."

Ridiculous. Everett imploded as a team in the playoffs, you can't pin that all on Irving.

Watch the guy play before you post.

Keetley is playing great, but he's also two years older than Irving.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Since my opinion differs from yours I should learn more about hockey. I am sorry I did not realize that you are the only one here that knows about hockey. :sarcasm:

I never said Price looked good. I said he was solid and got overrated because of it. Many a goalie have been solid in Team Canada roles, while some people take those and games and project the next Brodeur or Roy based on that. Remember Jeff Glass? or Trevor Kidd? what about Marc Denis?

It is amazing how some people take this to mean that I think Price is ****. No two people come away from seeing players the same. It is not that I think Price is bad or anything. The difference between the elite prospect netminders is so small, that everyone will have different opinions. From what I have seen to this point, Bernier has the most upside of any of the goalies. Fortunatly for everyone that has their panties in a bunch, I am not God and that is not written in stone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad