Confirmed with Link: Jonathan Bernier signs with Detroit 3 years, 3 million per year

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Not thrilled with the term but it's not worth getting worked up over. Biggest goal is keeping cap space available in case any good UFAs hit free agency once we are good again in 5-7 years.

FunkyColdZadina

Jun 26, 2018
Best thing about this signing is it allows us to either deal Howard or tell him to take a walk next summer if his contract demands are too much.

Can't be too mad at a little bit of stability.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Best thing about this signing is it allows us to either deal Howard or tell him to take a walk next summer if his contract demands are too much.

Can't be too mad at a little bit of stability.
Agreed.

Bernier is a backup with the outside hope of becoming the starter.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
It's a low risk signing at a position of need in a deep pool of available players. Honestly, it's exactly how I hope Detroit keeps addressing the goaltender spot even after they come out the other side of their malaise. I've come to think the better use for money is on skaters after you secure a competent, reasonably dependable netminder. I don't see the consistent value in spending big bucks on a goalie to get what turns out to be a marginal improvement almost every time.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Last 4 seasons:

Bernier, 172 games, 73 wins, 91.20 sv%
Howard, 176 games, 69 wins, 91.16 sv%
Mrazek, 172 games, 75 wins, 90.98 sv%

Kind of same level of Goalie. But cheaper than both Howard (5.3M) and Mrazek (4.0M) were.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Happy with this signing, if for no other reason than he provides a little more stability if we move Howard.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
One year too many for me and too much $$ for a guy that is coming in under the expectation that he's a #2...

What baffles me is how the Red Wings ended up spending the most money (total for term, Cam Ward at same AAV...) on a UFA goalie and it's for a guy that wasn't exactly speculated to be one of the more sought after goalies on the market...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad