Prospect Info: Jonas Johansson (2014, 61st) – '18-19: Cincinnati #31 (ECHL)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Sweden's exhibition season started today, meaning Johansson could see action as early as tomorrow. AIS have seven games scheduled and all dates and times are copy-pasta (local to Sweden, or -6 to get ET) via SWE Hockey:
  • 2016-08-11 19:00, Almtuna IS - DjurgÃ¥rdens IF, Arena Svagströmsbolaget
  • 2016-08-16 19:00, Leksands IF - Almtuna IS, Lugnets Ishall
  • 2016-08-18 19:00, Almtuna IS - Örebro HK, MetallÃ¥tervinning Arena
  • 2016-08-25 19:00, VIK VästerÃ¥s HK - Almtuna IS, Bahcohallen
  • 2016-09-01 19:00, Almtuna IS - Brynäs IF, MetallÃ¥tervinning Arena
  • 2016-09-02 19:00, Almtuna IS - Karlskrona HK, MetallÃ¥tervinning Arena
  • 2016-09-08 19:00, AIK - Almtuna IS, Stora Mossen

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
‏@SabresProspects -

Saturday, September 17 - Jonas Johansson stops 23/25 as Almtuna IS is blanked by Västerviks IK 3-0.
Johansson now 0-2 with a 1.53 GAA and .930 save% in league play.

Monday, September 19 - Jonas Johansson makes 26 saves to pick up his first win of the year as AIS defeats Mora IK 5-1.
Johansson now 1-2 with a 1.35 GAA and .942 save%. in league play.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -

Jonas Johansson with his fourth consecutive start as Almtuna IS takes on VIK Västerås HK. AIS up 1-0 mid first period. Jonas - 1-2, 1.35 GAA, .942 save%.

Jonas Johansson stops all 25 shots for his first shutout of the year as AIS defeats Västerås 2-0. Jonas improves to 2-2 - 1.01 GAA - .957 save%.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects - Wednesday, September 28 -

Past the midway point of period two, Jonas Johansson has allowed one goal on 17 shots. Almtuna trails IK Pantern 1-0.

Jonas Johansson stops 21/23 as AIS falls to IK Pantern 2-1. Johansson now 2-3 with a 1.21 GAA and .949 save%.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -

Jonas Johansson (2-3, 1.21 GAA, .949 save%) will get his sixth start of the year as Almtuna IS takes on Tingsryds AIF.

Johansson just scored on by former Wild first-rounder Zack Phillips. Johansson has stopped 12/14 thus far as AIS trails 2-1 early 2nd.

Johansson allows four goals on 33 shots as AIS falls to TAIF 5-3. The loss puts Johansson at 2-4 with a 1.69 GAA and a .933 save %.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Johansson has started 18 games for Almtuna, who are sitting in the middle of the standings in Allsvenskan. In those 18 games he has recorded a GAA of 1,79 and saved 93,21% of the shots he's faced. Pretty good numbers.

The plan is that he will return to Brynäs in the SHL when Felix Sandström leaves for WJC. I hope he gets to start a couple of games in that stint, but it's doubtful since Rautio is doing a good job in Brynäs so far. If he plays, I'll let you know how he looks.

Deleted member 27798

I noticed he is playing in the 2nd tier Swedish league. Is he a legit prospect, or a guy just having a good year against inferior competition?

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Johansson played his first game in SHL this season. He was called up to Brynäs from Almtuna to cover for Felix Sandström who is playing WJC. Then Brynäs other goalie Rautio got ill and suddenly Johansson found himself between the pipes.

And kept a clean sheet.

Granted, he only faced 18 shots as a decimated Färjestad lost 1-0, but he looked solid and he had to step up for a couple of really sharp saves.

Since Sandström is playing the final game of the WJC right now, this was likely Johansson last game in the SHL this season too. Which means he'll end up with a save% of 100. Not bad. ;)

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I noticed he is playing in the 2nd tier Swedish league. Is he a legit prospect, or a guy just having a good year against inferior competition?

I say he's a legit prospect. That he's playing in the 2nd tier shouldn't reflect too much on him. In his post draft-year, he the plan was for him to be one of two regular goalies in Brynäs (SHL), but his preseason and the beginning of the regular season was spoiled by some illness (not sure what it was) and injury that kept him out of play. With Johansson out, Brynäs brought up another goalie from juniors, Felix Sandström (Brynäs have been spitting out goalie prospects like crazy for a while), and Sandström seized the opportunity.

After battling illness, Johansson got back on the ice, and because Sandström was doing well in SHL and Johansson needed ice-time, he played with Brynäs junior team. And then it was decided that the best move for his development was to lend him to Almtuna in the second league (Allsvenskan).

In the following season they kept him in Almtuna and played Sandström and veteran goalie Bernhard Starkbaum. And this year they brought in another vet in David Rautio to share the load with Sandström. So Johansson has gotten kind of stuck because Sandström is playing so well and Brynäs don't want to put the load on two young goalies. It all dates back to that illness and injury prone post draft-season.

I guess the Sabres are OK with his development. If they weren't, they could have stepped in and signed him so that they had a say in where he'd play. I wouldn't worry too much about him playing in the 2nd tier either - it's still a league that holds a pretty good standard and I'm sure Brynäs goalie coach is monitoring him.

The situation is actually familiar to when Jakob Markström and Anders Lindbäck both were young goalie prospects in Brynäs. Lindbäck was "first in line" to get to play for Brynäs but was sidelined with illness too. Markström seized the opportunity and Lindbäck was put on loan to... Almtuna. And while Lindbäck never established himself as an NHL goalie, he still developed into a good goalie. Let's just hope Johansson turns out a little bit better. :)

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Johansson and Brynäs lost 4-1 to Växjö yesterday. The entire team looked bad, and Johansson didn't step up to save them. The loss was not on him, but he did look a bit soft at times.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Jonas Johansson - 21 - joins the Amerks after spending the majority of the 2016-2017 campaign with Almtuna IS of HockeyAllsvenskan in Sweden.
The Gavle, Sweden, native went 17-18-0 in 37 appearances with three shutouts while posting a 2.26 goals-against average and a .912 save percentage.
The 6-foot-4, 198 pound netminder also appeared in two games with Brynas IF of the SHL, earning a 1-1-0 record with a 2.00 goals-against average and a .920 save percentage.
Johansson was originally drafted by Buffalo Sabres in the third-round pick (61st overall) in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

http://www.amerks.com/article/AMERKS INK THREE TO AMATEUR TRYOUTS

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
I usually don't pay much attention to European prospects unless/until they're playing in their respective senior league but I don't know the first thing about the Brynas goaltending situation.

He seemed to do well in his ATO with the Amerks. He's insurance against the Ullmark/Peterson situation and in the worst case, he can likely still be loaned to a Swedish team next year.

Deleted member 27798

Along with Nylander and Bogo, this guy is another mystery to me. He gets sent to the ECHL, and to date, hasn't played a single minute.

Do I dare ask, does anyone know what is going on with him?

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
This guy guy is a mystery to me. He gets sent to the ECHL, and to date, hasn't played a single minute. Do I dare ask, does anyone know what is going on with him?
He was going to be the starter for the Cyclones.
Unfortunately during the week before the season started - he was injuried.
He eventually was placed on IR. He was supposed to have been taken off IR this past Wednesday.
But he hasn't been in the lineup the last two nights either as the starter or as the backup.
Friday saw Jason Kasdorf start his first game with the Cyclones and Anthony Peters as the backup.
Tonight saw Anthony Peters get the start with Jason Kasdorf as the backup.
So I'm guessing Jonas wasn't taken off IR.

Update - Jonas is either still on IR or is off IR and was scratched as Peters (started) and Kasdorf (backup) were the goalies for the Cyclones in their shootout win over the Florida Everblades on Wednesday night (November 8).

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hard to argue against the Cyclones playing Peters, given what he's done. Kasdorf and Johansson have 5 games between the two of them.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Hard to argue against the Cyclones playing Peters, given what he's done. Kasdorf and Johansson have 5 games between the two of them.
Johansson's only played in two games, but that includes starting two of the last three. It's not quite the same as with Kasdorf, where, well...

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Cincinnati Cyclones‏ @CincyCyclones -
#CincyCyclones lines are set for their first-ever game in Brampton!
No changes from Wednesday night, and @jonasjohansoon back between the pipes.
(LaxSabre - According to the line chart that was tweeted - no Jason Kasdorf as the backup goalie.)

GOAL! A turnover in the @BramptonBeast zone turns into a tic-tac-toe goal from Jesse Schultz after an @ShawnOD71 pass. It's 1-0 #CincyCyclones!
End 1: Jesse Schultz pots his sixth of the season to give #CincyCyclones a 1-0 lead through 20 minutes!
The 'Clones have a 12-10 edge on the shot clock, as well!

End 2: No goals scored, so that means Schultz's first-period tally is still the difference maker.
#CincyCyclones ahead, 1-0, through 40. Brampton has a 24-18 shot lead.

GOAL! @danforth17 burns by the defense/slips it five-hole to extend the #CincyCyclones' lead to 2-0 early in the third!
Brampton pulls back to within a goal 2-1, on a tally from Chris Leveille.
GOAL! @ShawnOD71 gets his own rebound and slips it in to give #CincyCyclones their two-goal lead back 3-1.
Power Play tally from Fornier pulls the Beast to within one 3-2, late in the third.
GOAL! @Chrisleone02 gets an empty netter from the red line to put #CincyCyclones up 4-2!

FINAL! Goals from Schultz, @ShawnOD71, @danforth17, and @Chrisleone02
#CincyCyclones fifth win in a row - 4-2 over the Brampton Beast. SOG favor Brampton 36-34.

@Jonasjohansoon - 34 saves!
We could get used to this! Another big win for #CincyCyclones tonight over @BramptonBeast.
We've got all the details from the first of two on the weekend!

CYCLONES DON’T LOOK BACK, CRUISE TO FIFTH STRAIGHT WIN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad